Turn on thread page Beta

I have noticed anti-muslim comments get the most negative reps but.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Nothingness.
    ight then, you scare me blad! but yeh i am quite judgemental!!! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmarDurrani)
    Turkey - I rest my case.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/template...ccrcountry=173

Please read this thoroughly.

Turkey is only a partial democracy, and has only been regressing since the election of a conservative Islamic party in 2003.

Anybody who claims Turkey is a true democracy is either deluded or simply doing the best they can to prove a flawed point, I believe the latter is certainly the case with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hester_23)
    Smelly Muslims
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I leave threads when I start reading anti-Muslim, or even anti-Religion comments because I know I'd get pissed off and fly into a rage smashing my keyboard and raping caps lock :lol:

But yeah, TSR is biased in a lot of places, like the real world. You just have to live and let go.

ReputationRep:
    Not true! I got loads of negs just cause I said I was muslim!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Perhaps you are looking at the wrong thing. You should instead think about people's reasons for posting antagonistic posts about a particular rule. On TSR, as a general rule, people post anti muslim comments whose reasoning is basically "Muslims all love killing people", which clearly is deserving of neg. On the other hand, anti christian posts tend to be of the form "Christian beliefs are ridiculous". This gathers more rep partly because it is a much more reasonable point of view than the anti muslim comments, and partly because TSR has an atheist majority, so everyone +s the post they agree with.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Perhaps you are looking at the wrong thing. You should instead think about people's reasons for posting antagonistic posts about a particular rule. On TSR, as a general rule, people post anti muslim comments whose reasoning is basically "Muslims all love killing people", which clearly is deserving of neg. On the other hand, anti christian posts tend to be of the form "Christian beliefs are ridiculous". This gathers more rep partly because it is a much more reasonable point of view than the anti muslim comments, and partly because TSR has an atheist majority, so everyone +s the post they agree with.
    This.

Why don't people understand...

It's never the religion that is stupid.It's the(or certain) people who follow it who are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)

Turkey is only a partial democracy, and has only been regressing since the election of a conservative Islamic party in 2003.

Anybody who claims Turkey is a true democracy is either deluded or simply doing the best they can to prove a flawed point, I believe the latter is certainly the case with you.
    Once again, a truly pluralist government does not exist in the modern world. How far any country is a democracy can be argued.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, a truly pluralist government does not exist in the modern world. How far any country is a democracy can be argued.
    You are sidestepping the issue, of course no government is perfect - anyone would acknowledge that.

This does not change the fact, however, that Turkey is regarded to be significantly less democratic than the US or the UK, for example.

As long as Islam and government go hand in hand, viable democracy is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    You are sidestepping the issue, of course no government is perfect - anyone would acknowledge that.

This does not change the fact, however, that Turkey is regarded to be significantly less democratic than the US or the UK, for example.

As long as Islam and government go hand in hand, viable democracy is impossible.
    No, as long as distorted Islam and government go hand in hand, viable democracy is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    No, as long as distorted Islam and government go hand in hand, viable democracy is impossible.
    So what is this non-distorted, perfect form of Islam that you subscribe to, but, clearly, nobody else does?

ReputationRep:
    I neg for lolz.

ReputationRep:
    So what is this non-distorted, perfect form of Islam that you subscribe to, but, clearly, nobody else does?
    Like I said, you can say the same about any religion. You keep restating your argument, most Christians have the most ridiculous beliefs as well. Sikhs actually take an oath to kill all Muslims. How is that any less violent? Islam and Christianity are the only two religions large enough to form governments and laws based around their religion (with the exception of Israel and India/Sri Lanka etc. to a certain extent). It may not be as blatant in non-Muslim governments, but let's not forget the concentration camps in Bosnia (which is fairly recent) and need I mention Nazi Germany? Perhaps the increase in the influence of the media is what is causing everyone to believe Islam is the problem, when really it's the average man that is the problem.

P.S. There may be governments based around other religions, but not to the same extent is what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious race baiting troll. I bet your a white christian.
    yixrib beitak.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, you can say the same about any religion. You keep restating your argument, most Christians have the most ridiculous beliefs as well. Sikhs actually take an oath to kill all Muslims. How is that any less violent? Islam and Christianity are the only two religions large enough to form governments and laws based around their religion (with the exception of Israel and India/Sri Lanka etc. to a certain extent). It may not be as blatant in non-Muslim governments, but let's not forget the concentration camps in Bosnia (which is fairly recent) and need I mention Nazi Germany? Perhaps the increase in the influence of the media is what is causing everyone to believe Islam is the problem, when really it's the average man that is the problem.

P.S. There may be governments based around other religions, but not to the same extent is what I meant.
    What the HELL.
    That is absolutely not true, love to see complete lies being spread about Sikhism for no apparent reason.
    What is this oath called? In which scriptural text is it found? Evidence..?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bobsyourteapots)
    Not true! I got loads of negs just cause I said I was muslim!!!!
    I find that really disgusting, but I suffer the same thing when I say i'm christian. I know that there are a few negative stereotypes regarding Islam, but that's no reason to generalise. It gets me really angry.

ReputationRep:

I do not disagree that other religions do indeed have a capacity for evil.

That does not change the fact, however, that, in the West, Christianity has been secularized, the violent, ignorant, and cruel portions of the Bible are mostly ignored.

The same cannot be said for Islam. The vast majority of Muslims take the Koran literally, and there are many parts of the Koran that can, and are, interpreted in very dangerous ways. The most dangerous, in my mind, is the idea that Islam is, in itself, a form of government, that it must go hand in hand with the nation state.

Nations must embrace secularism (look it up, I am sure you think it's something different that what it actually is) in order to progress - history speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:

Erm, I don't know where you're getting your information from but this is the closest that Turkey's ever gotten to being a democracy, and no they're not regressing the countries enjoying its strongest ever econimic growth, and Kurds have their own television channel and are able to speak their own language. In the 90's you would never have seen that happenning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    Erm, I don't know where you're getting your information from but this is the closest that Turkey's ever gotten to being a democracy, and no they're not regressing the countries enjoying its strongest ever econimic growth, and Kurds have their own television channel and are able to speak their own language. In the 90's you would never have seen that happenning.
    The Kurds are allowed to speak their own language? Haha, how progressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Turkey

Face it, Turkey is only a democracy in the very loosest sense of the term.

The United Kingdom is moving in the same direction, though, with its absurd religious "hate" speech laws.

ReputationRep:
    The Kurds are allowed to speak their own language? Haha, how progressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Turkey

Face it, Turkey is only a democracy in the very loosest sense of the term.

The United Kingdom is moving in the same direction, though, with its absurd religious "hate" speech laws.
    You don't know anything, this is the closest Turkeys come to being a democracy they're even planning to scrap the 301 law which gets you a fine or sticks you in jail for insulting "Turkishness"

Reading wikipedia or some bogus website doesn't make you an expert on my countries politics. Even if it isn't a full democracy at least change is happenning, citizens have more rights, and there's less tension nowadays between minorities it just annoyed me when you said the countries regressing when AKP came to power when it's clearly the opposite happenning.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.