Turn on thread page Beta

I have noticed anti-muslim comments get the most negative reps but.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    You don't know anything, this is the closest Turkeys come to being a democracy they're even planning to scrap the 301 law which gets you a fine or sticks you in jail for insulting "Turkishness"

Reading wikipedia or some bogus website doesn't make you an expert on my countries politics. Even if it isn't a full democracy at least change is happenning, citizens have more rights, and there's less tension nowadays between minorities it just annoyed me when you said the countries regressing when AKP came to power when it's clearly the opposite happenning.
    You can go ahead and say that, but I won't believe it until Turkey actually scraps these laws. Until then, keep talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)
    You can go ahead and say that, but I won't believe it until Turkey actually scraps these laws. Until then, keep talking.
    A westerner preaching democracy how ironic, changes are happening just acknowledge that, we were the first openly Muslim country to adopt secularism no democracy is perfect, you only need to look at America to realise it. until then, use more credible sources to backup your points.

Those laws will be passed, mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    A westerner preaching democracy how ironic, changes are happening just acknowledge that, we were the first openly Muslim country to adopt secularism no democracy is perfect, you only need to look at America to realise it. until then, use more credible sources to backup your points.

Those laws will be passed, mark my words.
    I am an American, and our country is flawed, no doubt. We are, however, one of the most open and free societies in the world. We have the 1st Amendment, and an active court system, to thank for that. Look at any objective analysis, and you can see that. This is especially true in measures of free speech, freedom of expression, seperation of church and state, and internet rights. Of course, I suspect you do not trust the U.N. or independent Human Rights groups ...

So instead, I will prove the United States is freer than Turkey:

F**k America!

There, I can say that in my country. Sadly, you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmarDurrani)
    Like I said, you can say the same about any religion. You keep restating your argument, most Christians have the most ridiculous beliefs as well. Sikhs actually take an oath to kill all Muslims. How is that any less violent? Islam and Christianity are the only two religions large enough to form governments and laws based around their religion (with the exception of Israel and India/Sri Lanka etc. to a certain extent). It may not be as blatant in non-Muslim governments, but let's not forget the concentration camps in Bosnia (which is fairly recent) and need I mention Nazi Germany? Perhaps the increase in the influence of the media is what is causing everyone to believe Islam is the problem, when really it's the average man that is the problem.

P.S. There may be governments based around other religions, but not to the same extent is what I meant.
    LOL alright then, i would also LOVE to know where you got this information about the oath that sikhs take to kill all muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaur93x)
    LOL alright then, i would also LOVE to know where you got this information about the oath that sikhs take to kill all muslims.
    Actually, this person can't respond, because they were speaking total bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaur93x)
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    What the HELL.
    That is absolutely not true, love to see complete lies being spread about Sikhism for no apparent reason.
    What is this oath called? In which scriptural text is it found? Evidence..?
    A Sikh friend of mine, Rajveer Singh. I'm going off what someone told me first hand, he is a Sikh who lives in India and he's explained the entire Sikh/Muslim issue in India to me, so please don't argue with me. He told me himself they're supposed to take an oath to kill all Muslims, perhaps I misunderstood and there's a particular group of Sikhs who take that oath. It may be more of a political thing in the East, perhaps that's why you don't see it living in the UK (I'm assuming you live there.)

ReputationRep:
    A Sikh friend of mine, Rajveer Singh. I'm going off what someone told me first hand, he is a Sikh who lives in India and he's explained the entire Sikh/Muslim issue in India to me, so please don't argue with me. He told me himself they're supposed to take an oath to kill all Muslims, perhaps I misunderstood and there's a particular group of Sikhs who take that oath. It may be more of a political thing in the East, perhaps that's why you don't see it living in the UK (I'm assuming you live there.)

Look, there is no such oath. Do remember that Guru Nanak Dev Ji famously said, "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim" and Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, "Recognise the human race as one." Guru Nanak's companion who went with him on his journeys, Bhai Mardana, was a Muslim. There is no such prejudice in Sikhism, as we believe religions are different paths to reach the same God.

Your friend is an idiot. If there are any Sikhs who take such an oath anywhere in the world, they are also idiots and can be considered a cult rather than a group of Sikhs. Nowhere in Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Sikh holy book) are there any words of disrespect towards any religion, letalone an oath commanding we kill.

However, there is obviously controversy between Muslims and Indians, since before the separation of Pakistan and India. Actually, there is controversy dating WAY BACK to the times before the Gurus. Two of our Gurus and many Sikhs were martyred due refusing to be converted by the Mughals (Muslims) hundreds of years ago, and yet we don't harbour hatred. I'm not arguing with you but as you can probably understand, when people say complete lies about your religion and state them as facts, it is bound to make you a little angry.

ReputationRep:
    Sikhs actually take an oath to kill all Muslims.
    Actually I've been told almost the same thing. A Sikh once told me that Sikhs are waiting for all Muslims to die at the hands of Sikhs. The trick is though, to not let silly, extremist people misconstrue the real teachings behind a religion.Obviously in every religion there are extremists; Islam4UK in Islam, the KKK or the congreation of Terry Jones for Christianity, the Babbar Khalsa International for Sikhism for example, but these people, who are seriously misguided and completely brainwashed, should not let you believe that they speak for a whole religion and a whole communtiy of people.

You, I assume being Muslim or from a Muslim family should know better than to let a few people change your views on a community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najoo)
    Actually I've been told almost the same thing. A Sikh once told me that Sikhs are waiting for all Muslims to die at the hands of Sikhs. The trick is though, to not let silly, extremist people misconstrue the real teachings behind a religion.Obviously in every religion there are extremists; Islam4UK in Islam, the KKK or the congreation of Terry Jones for Christianity, the Babbar Khalsa International for Sikhism for example, but these people, who are seriously misguided and completely brainwashed, should not let you believe that they speak for a whole religion and a whole communtiy of people.

You, I assume being Muslim or from a Muslim family should know better than to let a few people change your views on a community.
    Wow. What a poor excuse for a Sikh. I assure you that there is nothing like this in the actual teachings of the Gurus, the rehat maryada or the scriptures... which is everything we go by. What pathetic things people concoct. I actually don't know of many extremist Sikhs, at least not ones who want to distort the religion in THAT way :rolleyes: so it's quite dissapointing. But I know that some people look back on our history of oppression from Mughals and feel a lot of anger towards Muslims.

For anyone else who has any queries related to Sikhism, visit http://www.sikhitothemax.com/search.asp and just type in any word into 'English' to see it come up where it is stated in religious texts with translations. For example, if you type in "Muslim" you'll see everything that Guru Granth Sahib Ji says concerning Muslims, and you are able to see for yourself that there is no prejudice, rather than me just telling you.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about Islamophobia. We live in a very xenophobic and institutionally racist society. It's a **** fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Look, there is no such oath. Do remember that Guru Nanak Dev Ji famously said, "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim" and Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, "Recognise the human race as one." Guru Nanak's companion who went with him on his journeys, Bhai Mardana, was a Muslim. There is no such prejudice in Sikhism, as we believe religions are different paths to reach the same God.

Your friend is an idiot. If there are any Sikhs who take such an oath anywhere in the world, they are also idiots and can be considered a cult rather than a group of Sikhs. Nowhere in Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Sikh holy book) are there any words of disrespect towards any religion, letalone an oath commanding we kill.

However, there is obviously controversy between Muslims and Indians, since before the separation of Pakistan and India. Actually, there is controversy dating WAY BACK to the times before the Gurus. Two of our Gurus and many Sikhs were martyred due refusing to be converted by the Mughals (Muslims) hundreds of years ago, and yet we don't harbour hatred. I'm not arguing with you but as you can probably understand, when people say complete lies about your religion and state them as facts, it is bound to make you a little angry.
    Right, so I went back and asked him again, he told me Muslims killed a Guru and his family and after that the next Guru said all Sikhs shall bear the 5 Ks (whatever that is) until every last Muslim is dead. I don't know enough about Sikhism apart from what I've heard and read, and I'm sorry if what I said offended you. I've asked several other Sikh friends and they said more or less the same thing, but they all go to school together so it may be something geographical or within a certain group there. I do understand, and you can understand why I get angry when people say misinformed things about Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Most people of student age in this country try so hard to be non-racist that they would lambast you for any criticism of the Muslim religion. The 'Unite against fascism' organisation are a joke and hypocrites of the highest order.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I went back and asked him again, he told me Muslims killed a Guru and his family and after that the next Guru said all Sikhs shall bear the 5 Ks (whatever that is) until every last Muslim is dead.
    It's true that Guru Tegh Bahadur (Guru Gobind Singh's father) was killed by Muslims, but no - the Sikhs were obligated to bear the 5 Ks when Vaisakhi took place, eg. the beginning of the Khalsa panth and Sikh baptism, started by Guru Tegh Bahadur's don, Guru Gobind Singh. It has nothing to do with Muslims, and a real Sikh (a baptized one) must wear the 5 Ks for all their lives...

I don't know enough about Sikhism apart from what I've heard and read, and I'm sorry if what I said offended you. I've asked several other Sikh friends and they said more or less the same thing, but they all go to school together so it may be something geographical or within a certain group there. I do understand, and you can understand why I get angry when people say misinformed things about Islam.
    I hope that anyone who hears crap like that will look things up from websites like the one I posted earlier, to get the facts and learn a bit more... it's quite shocking and makes me angry that certain Sikhs dont even know enough about their history and make **** like that up. Yeah, I understand it's the same with Islam... I also don't know enough about Islam to make a comment on it, so I don't lol.

ReputationRep:
    oh boo hoo hoo lets all dig a mountain out of a molehill!!! whoever saying that sh** that sikhs have taken some sort of oath to kill a muslim is absolute nonsense. Guru Nanak Dev Ji best friend was a muslim..guru nanak dev ji also went to mecca! although sikhism is a completely different religion and lets face it, sikhs believe in completly different things..sikhs have the audacity to respect other religions. it what we've been taught. one of you has even said '5ks- whatever that is' - erm if you dont even know what the 5ks are then i suggest you sit back down and for your own sake try not to speculate about sikhism religion. if you really do have a burning desire to touch upon this topic again and to spread nice little packets of lies then i suggest you do some background reading so that your points are actually valid.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.