Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This probably sounds really weird but whatever, it's something I need to share.

For the past couple of days I haven't been able to stop myself from being really conscious about breathing when I'm not doing something else like talking or eating. It's really annoying, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep or just relax. I can see this becoming a bit of a bad habit and whenever I think about it briefly I can't stop myself from doing it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any tips to distract myself from doing it?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm concious breathing. Great. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    same aaaaaaaaaaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Yeah I was worried reading this might have that effect.. sorry!

ReputationRep:
    when i was younger i always used to be conscious of my breathing, and noticed whether or not it was irregular and attempted to remedy the irregularity. it was extremely distracting, especially as you said when trying to sleep. i think i grew out of the habit though, by trying to think or other things such as death. thinking about death is always a good distraction XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    This.

I think I'm breathing a little too loud.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yup, I know the feeling.

Now I'm flipping doing it. That's just cruel :p:

ReputationRep:
    Suddenly, everybody is conscious breathing.

ReputationRep:
    sounds a bit OCDish, hopefully iy will wear off. Used to happen to me when I first started sleeping in the same bed as my boyfriend, so annoying

ReputationRep:
    In regards to getting rid of it, if it's a problem during the day just do something which uses all your attention. You're not using your brain enough basically :p: At night time I'm not sure because sometimes I purposely do this to relax myself and help get to sleep...

ReputationRep:
    Is it because you are breathing through your mouth? If so, breath in through your nose and out your mouth - I think it isn't as loud

Try and distract yourself whenever you to start to become paranoid

ReputationRep:
    OH GOD. It's contagious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettDangerfield)
    This probably sounds really weird but whatever, it's something I need to share.

For the past couple of days I haven't been able to stop myself from being really conscious about breathing when I'm not doing something else like talking or eating. It's really annoying, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep or just relax. I can see this becoming a bit of a bad habit and whenever I think about it briefly I can't stop myself from doing it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any tips to distract myself from doing it?

Cheers
    Yeah i get this when im listning to music with my earphones, its pretty distracting..........i think you have to push it aside and ignore it, its all psychological, you just have to overcome it somehow?

ReputationRep:
    You now realise you're blinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    You now realise you're blinking.
    Ahh damn it!!

I'm consciously breathing and blinking :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.