Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to propose, and do I ask parents permission? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

First thread on TSR but been reading here for a while, so go easy lol.

Im about to graduate from University (Maths Degree) and have been with my girlfriend since college. We both went to the same Uni so that we could stay together, and went into shared accomodation with 6 other house mates for the first 2 years (Halls at my Uni are hard to come by), and for the last year we have been sharing a private 2 bedroom house just to two of us and its been an amazing year.

So theres a bit of background lol now heres my question, I want to propose to her this Summer but not sure how to do it. We are going away on a weeks all inclusive holiday to turkey 5* this July and it seems like to perfect chance to do something, but im not sure exactly how?

Plus theres the question, her parents are from the stone age (religious type) and I need to ask their permission first. How do I go about this as i always get the feeling they dont really like me when Im with them, things could get quite awkward.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    propose by flashmob!!

i would personally wait till a year after you graduate to propose, but thats just me. I've seen quite a few relationships fall apart during that year as the shift to normal life can be problematic.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should propose to your girlfriend first, and then ask her parents for her hand in marriage. as for the proposal, try not to make it too OTT but be romantic as well. a spontaneous proposal isnt really ideal. also, make sure that she's up for the idea of marriage so you can avoid the risk of a rejection!

ReputationRep:
    ask her parents out to dinner secretly and discuss it with them?
    this is probably the least helpful advice ever but good luck

ReputationRep:
    Probably safest to ask them first, might make things easier in the future. I think there's nothing wrong with the old dinner, sunset formula

ReputationRep:
    There's no harm in asking her parents for their daughters hand in marriage.

Congratulations in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Sacrafice is romantic right?

Cut off one of your fingers (/arm) and use the resulting bloodflow to scrawl "Marry Me!" on her bedroom wall in blood.

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask her parents' permission first. It's her you're offering a life changing decision to, not them. What's your plan if they say no? Break up with her?

ReputationRep:
    Is your girlfriend religious? If not I'd ask her first - simply because I would be so annoyed if my Mum new before I did.

ReputationRep:
    I'd ask the parents. It's a polite thing to do, even if it seems a little formal. My ex asked my mum before proposing to me.

As for the actual proposal, it doesn't have to be overly romantic, if you try and plan something epic you'll just get more nervous about it. Just ask her and don't say anything too tacky/cheesy. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Im 100% sure my gf will say yes because she is always dropping not so subtle hints, ie "my friends keep asking when you are going to propose" lol

Yeh its her parents im most worried about, I think my gf would want me to ask them first really, its traditional I suppose, but I cannot think of anything more excrutiating than asking them, it makes my stomach turn lol. Do you think writing them a letter is a good idea or a face to face manly chat with the dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    Sacrafice is romantic right?

Cut off one of your fingers (/arm) and use the resulting bloodflow to scrawl "Marry Me!" on her bedroom wall in blood.
    :rofl:

I worry for your soul :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Im 100% sure my gf will say yes because she is always dropping not so subtle hints, ie "my friends keep asking when you are going to propose" lol

Yeh its her parents im most worried about, I think my gf would want me to ask them first really, its traditional I suppose, but I cannot think of anything more excrutiating than asking them, it makes my stomach turn lol. Do you think writing them a letter is a good idea or a face to face manly chat with the dad?
    No. If you're going to ask them first, do it in person.

Or by Twitter.

ReputationRep:
    OK looks like ill be asking them in person, and in that case ill do it first before the actual proposal.

Ill just have to go round there and state my case, pull out the powerpoint presntation with reasons why lol. thanks for advise

ReputationRep:
    yess definitely asked the parents first as your gf will be impressed that you actually asked them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Hi

Im about to graduate from University (Maths Degree) and have been with my girlfriend since college. We both went to the same Uni so that we could stay together, and went into shared accomodation with 6 other house mates for the first 2 years (Halls at my Uni are hard to come by), and for the last year we have been sharing a private 2 bedroom house just to two of us and its been an amazing year.

So theres a bit of background lol now heres my question, I want to propose to her this Summer but not sure how to do it. We are going away on a weeks all inclusive holiday to turkey 5* this July and it seems like to perfect chance to do something, but im not sure exactly how?

Plus theres the question, her parents are from the stone age (religious type) and I need to ask their permission first. How do I go about this as i always get the feeling they dont really like me when Im with them, things could get quite awkward.

I dont know how you should propose. I dont know what the girl likes
    But you cant go wrong with ye' olde sunset nonsense....
    Or you could cover her in eggs and flour, and then ask her (I am so tempted to try that)
    Either way, if she wants to marry you, she will be happy

But on the parents side... Ask them by all means. Its a great thing to do! But if they say no, say with all due respect, Im still going to ask her.
    I would never ask my girlfriends parents for their 'permission'. I would ask them for their 'blessing' without a doubt. But try not to make out like its up to them, because at the end of the day it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    If her parents are as traditional as you say they will appreciate you asking first Good luck and congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    erm ask her first. What the hell are you going to do if they say no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Hi

Make her parents sure they're doing the right thing letting their daughter go, and you'll be the right person for her and as much as you like her, she must love you to and they must know that

ReputationRep:
    My first question would be do you have the money to get married or can you guarantee her parents are going pay? I wouldn't want to get married knowing I couldn't do everything I wanted cos I'd be worrying about the budget. When asking her parents don't do it in front of her just take her dad to one side and mention that you wish to propose to his daughter. As for he actual proposal its up to you the holiday seems like a great time to do it, but the way you want to do it is completely personal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.