Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to propose, and do I ask parents permission? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Hi

First thread on TSR but been reading here for a while, so go easy lol.

Im about to graduate from University (Maths Degree) and have been with my girlfriend since college. We both went to the same Uni so that we could stay together, and went into shared accomodation with 6 other house mates for the first 2 years (Halls at my Uni are hard to come by), and for the last year we have been sharing a private 2 bedroom house just to two of us and its been an amazing year.

So theres a bit of background lol now heres my question, I want to propose to her this Summer but not sure how to do it. We are going away on a weeks all inclusive holiday to turkey 5* this July and it seems like to perfect chance to do something, but im not sure exactly how?

Plus theres the question, her parents are from the stone age (religious type) and I need to ask their permission first. How do I go about this as i always get the feeling they dont really like me when Im with them, things could get quite awkward.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks
    yh ask their permission first, propose anyway, but at least if they say yes then its a good start with relationships with the in-laws. They probs be happy for you to marry her since itll stop the premarital sex which i presume they dont agree with.

Just pop round theirs (w/o her) for tea and coffee and cake. And ask her dad.

But she shouldnt be surprised when you pop the q since you should already be discussing your futures together anyway.

ReputationRep:
    first, awwwwwwwww! :love:

umm i'd ask her perants. when my dad wanted to marry my mum, he would have asked her farther but he was no longer of this world, so he asked her mum and all she said was 'just take care of her'. nawwww! and they've been married for 21 years <3

so ask them a few days before you go, then they wont be tempted to tell her then pop the question while your away. would be soooo cute! let us know what she said

but if her perants are religious then i would ask them, especially her farther!

good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I'd want him to ask the parents. It's so gentlemanly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.