Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was am wondering about what happens after your foundation year, basically do you apply to a specialty programme and then follow a defined path and eventually reach consultant, subject to exams and job availability or do you have to continously reapply to each specialty year?

I have heard about Deanery's but have also heard a rumour that these are being abolished?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what specialty you go into. Have a look through this guide here http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/pdf/QuickGuide...CTIVEsmall.pdf - page 13 shows you which specialties have completely run-through training and which have "uncoupled" training where you do two or three years of core training and then reapply for ST3 or 4. It also explains a bit about the different recruitment processes - which ones are centrally organised or which are done by deaneries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It depends what specialty you go into. Have a look through this guide here http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/pdf/QuickGuide...CTIVEsmall.pdf - page 13 shows you which specialties have completely run-through training and which have "uncoupled" training where you do two or three years of core training and then reapply for ST3 or 4. It also explains a bit about the different recruitment processes - which ones are centrally organised or which are done by deaneries.
    Is the whole coupled/uncoupled thing not deanery-dependent? As in, I know of five deaneries offering run-through Orthopaedics, but the rest are uncoupled... That was last year though. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Is the whole coupled/uncoupled thing not deanery-dependent? As in, I know of five deaneries offering run-through Orthopaedics, but the rest are uncoupled... That was last year though. :dontknow:
    I think it's only for orthopaedics that that happens, for most of the rest it's the same nationally though recruitment methods themselves may vary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Thanks, that is really helpful.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.