Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any people with epilepsy here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Can you help me out a little, I am curious to know about the 'fits' that you have , i'm being tested for epilepsy myself (due brain scans next week) and I collapse on a regular basis.
    I know after doing a bit of research that there are over 40 different types of epilepsy, which is news to me as I thought the idea of me having epilepsy was absurd as i'm fine with stobe lighting etc. But apparantly only 4% of people that have epilepsy are affected by lighting, am I right?
    I hope I don't offend anyone by asking, but it'd be interesting to hear about what happens during a 'fit' per se, how you feel before and after it, and if you have any warnings?
    I've noticed llike a 'tingling' in my head before I collapse and wondered if this was significant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I'v got epilepsy, I have tonic colonic seizures, basically I go stiff and start shaking, it lasts about a min.
    Before I have a fit I usually go hot and people around me (people that know me) can then tell that something is happening oh and I go pale too.
    If you want to know anything else feel free to ask, i'm not a medical person just an epileptic

ReputationRep:
    i dont have epilepsy but the anti-psychotic medication i am on can cause epileptic siezures, which ive had a few of (petite mal siezures, though). usually my warning signs are dimming of sight and as previously mentioned feeling warm. sometimes fits can have particular triggers, such as over-excitement or something. other times they are completely random. try to find out if you have any particular triggers by looking back on previous fits and seeing what had happened just before them. if you find a pattern, try to avoid anything that might be triggering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm undergoing tests as some neurologists seem to think I have juvenile myoclonic epilepsy...I'm 24, never had a seizure in my life (or at least I'm not aware of any, and no one I know/live with has ever mentioned it). For me it's just a poor memory and the odd twitch in my hand. So, yeah...we'll see. Just got referred to another neurologist - spoke to him over the phone. We've never met, and after the phone conversations, never will. lol. i am finding another neurologist!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.