Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i posted a thread asking about my situation but i was at a ucas fair today and i got sick as i realised i actually really want to do medicine. My grades are terrible (gcse's ABBBBBBBCCC) and my as levels have gone very badly, i am retaking my moduals but i was forced to give up chemistry and am now doing biology, psychology, and english lit. I know its what i want to do and i have massive regrets for not working, i was capible, i used to be a top student but i just became lazy and had a bit of a freak out today. Looking at all the courses and uni's at this thing was torture, nothing looked appealing apart from the thing i have wanted to do since i was little (medicine). I know i can do well but i dont really know how to go about trying to pull this off. Do i just carry on with my three current subjects, do chemsitry next year along with my other A2s and take a gap year for experience then apply? I really dont know how to go about mending my situation. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Nearly all universities ask for Chemistry, you'd be hard pushed to find one that doesn't. Also, most state that you must achieve the necessary grades (typically AAA) within 2 years.

I'd say your best bet is to get on an access to medicine program and apply, or do a different degree first and apply for graduate entry medicine. Its not over for you, there are still means of getting into medicine, but I don't think you'd stand much of a chance applying for undergraduate medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    I know its what i want to do and i have massive regrets for not working, i was capible, i used to be a top student but i just became lazy

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think the most realistic thing to do is it to look at other options, being completely honest.

ReputationRep:
    youre not intelligent enough to become a doctor. sorry

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should try the graduate entry route. Do a degree such as biochemistry/ biomedical sciences and then apply once you've graduated.

Do you have any extenuating circumstances that would allow you to join access schemes like Access to Leeds or Manchester Access Programme?

I think you should consider alternative routes. Medicine is extremely competitive and your GCSE's would not meet many of the unis minimum requirements.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.