Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi do you need to learn how to reversing around a right corner? because im learning it with my instructor? and my sister said that you don't need to learn this monouvor. only reverse around the left corner? is this true.

ReputationRep:
    Its not like its learning for the sake of it, reversing round corners BOTH ways is helpful - get the practice in a car which you dont insure (AKA instructer car)...

Having said that, when they teach you paralell parking ask the instructer when in real life you get 2 car lengths to park in. They should teach you how to drive, not pass a shi* test.

ReputationRep:
    IIRC the examiner could ask you to reverse round a right hand corner on the test - but usually it's the left - cos that's assumed to be harder.

Real life - you'll need to be able to reverse round both direction of corner safely obv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    IIRC the examiner could ask you to reverse round a right hand corner on the test - but usually it's the left - cos that's assumed to be harder.

Real life - you'll need to be able to reverse round both direction of corner safely obv.
    im confused because my sister said her instructor who has been a drivin instructor for 20 years to0ld her you dont need to do reverse around a right corner, because its only for advanced drivers or van drivers. so now im confused

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, how do you exactly reverse around a right hand corner given that we drive on the left? Youd be reversing across a lane of traffic surely? Perhaps im thinking too hard which usually leads to my confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-J-B)
    Thinking about it, how do you exactly reverse around a right hand corner given that we drive on the left? Youd be reversing across a lane of traffic surely? Perhaps im thinking too hard which usually leads to my confusion.
    No, you are correct. Surely a right hand corner reverse is not going to be used if it is could someone explain when it would be used and how it can possibly be safe to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    im confused because my sister said her instructor who has been a drivin instructor for 20 years to0ld her you dont need to do reverse around a right corner, because its only for advanced drivers or van drivers. so now im confused
    Driving instructors teach you to pass a test, not the actual things you need when your out on the road. You probably won't need to do it on your test but you'll probably find you'll need when you pass. I never learnt to do the right hand corner but needed it when I passed. 20 years of experience doesn't mean much, typically your parents might have the same amount or even more, it'd be better to ask them if they drive. But there's no harm in you learning it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-J-B)
    It would depend on how busy it is, there's a place where I need to park and it's on the right side of the road so I have to cross over the lane of traffic (only do this at night when theres no traffic) and pull over near the corner, then I reverse right around the corner in order to go the opposite way when I leave. Circumstances are going to be rare for it, but it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    and pull over near the corner, then I reverse right around the corner in order to go the opposite way when I leave.
    Ahh, just changed this as i didnt read your post too well... I can see why youd want to do that however it can be done with a turn in the road which you are also taught...

Anyhoo, i say wait for the day when cars drive themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-J-B)
    Granted ive only been driving a couple of years, i dont think ive EVER done a right hand corner reverse... Why dont you just pull out and turn in the road? your reversing round a corner which once complete your facing INTO traffic, just to pull away... I dont see the benefit...

Anyhoo, i say wait for the day when cars drive themselves!
    I do turn in the road too, it depends on what method I feel like doing , my example was a rarity, my house is on a corner and when I need to go the opposite way and I'm parked outside on the curb I have to do the right hand corner then into a small dead end road, that was probably a better example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    It would depend on how busy it is, there's a place where I need to park and it's on the right side of the road so I have to cross over the lane of traffic (only do this at night when theres no traffic) and pull over near the corner, then I reverse right around the corner in order to go the opposite way when I leave. Circumstances are going to be rare for it, but it does happen.
    2bh if it dosnt need to be taught. i would rather not do it.

ReputationRep:
    my sister said her instructor who has been a drivin instructor for 20 years to0ld her you dont need to do reverse around a right corner, because its only for advanced drivers or van drivers.
    Your sister probably has one of those instructors that teaches - usually by rote - the bare minimum needed to scrape through a test with zero planning skills, rather than the life skill of driving in the real world. During his 20 years in the business, his pass rate may not be much to shout about, but as long as he cuts corners and his prices, he'll always have more mugs who queue up to throw money at him.

It does need to be taught. One day - and it may not be on your test, but possibly the day after - you may find yourself trapped in a dead end road and the only road to reverse into happens to be on your right.

If an instructor suggests it's only for advanced drivers and van drivers, he's a muppet. After all, once you've passed a car test, you're entitled to drive a small goods van under 3.5 tonnes, so at would point would you get lessons in a manoeuvre you've never done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Your sister probably has one of those instructors that teaches - usually by rote - the bare minimum needed to scrape through a test with zero planning skills, rather than the life skill of driving in the real world. During his 20 years in the business, his pass rate may not be much to shout about, but as long as he cuts corners and his prices, he'll always have more mugs who queue up to throw money at him.

It does need to be taught. One day - and it may not be on your test, but possibly the day after - you may find yourself trapped in a dead end road and the only road to reverse into happens to be on your right.

If an instructor suggests it's only for advanced drivers and van drivers, he's a muppet. After all, once you've passed a car test, you're entitled to drive a small goods van under 3.5 tonnes, so at would point would you get lessons in a manoeuvre you've never done?
    well this monouvor is eating up my money. because i can't do the reverse around a right corner. i have had lots of lessons on it and can not do it. so i would prefer not wasting any more money on it. and learn it in my own time after i have passed

oh and her instructor also has a very good pass rate, i have just spoken to a few friends and they said they have never been taught reverse around a right corner, and have never even heared of it

oh and the internet said its for van drivers and advanced drivers btw. lots of pages said it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)

My first instructor didn't teach any bay parking at all because harehills test centre doesn't have a car park, so they can't make you bay park on test. Makes sense to him I suppose, but when i moved test centres to York i was buggered.

Having said that, instructors shouldn't really need to teach reversing left corner, reversing right corner and reverse bay park. If they didn't do everything with stupid reference points (which don't work the day after you pass because more often than not you change cars) then there wouldn't be a problem.

My dad taught me to reverse bay park, and in doing so taught me most other reversing manoeuvres all at once. Rather than trying to teach it as when this line gets to a certain point on the car he just said to point the car at the space and make it go in - unhelpful when he said it, but it works every time for any car =)

ReputationRep:
    That's a ridiculous stance to take. It's new drivers like you that are geared only to pass the driving test and nothing else that really irritate me. Have you considered that it might be a good idea to learn the manoeuvre to build on your driving experience? What happens when you need to do a right hand reverse and have no prior experience of it in a safe environment like your instructor's car? Chances are, you'll scuff your car on something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaUmarly)
    That's a ridiculous stance to take. It's new drivers like you that are geared only to pass the driving test and nothing else that really irritate me. Have you considered that it might be a good idea to learn the manoeuvre to build on your driving experience? What happens when you need to do a right hand reverse and have no prior experience of it in a safe environment like your instructor's car? Chances are, you'll scuff your car on something.
    how about i will learn it AFTER i pass! as it wont cost me money i don't have

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.