Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, i have heard all these silly rumours that the world will end in 2012 :confused:
    why do people think that ?:confused:
    and whats your viewpoints?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so pls stop saying that my mum keeps saying it whenever she sees tragedy on the news all over the world it's so annoying plus I don't want to die:argh:

ReputationRep:
    Because the Government wants you to think that way.

If the world ends or not, it doesnt really matter?

We all will die someday.

Try to live each day as if it's your last day, and be happy and give love to the once you love.

ReputationRep:
    No, it won't. It's pseudoscientific drivel.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBqRLK_ESs
    that is all!

ReputationRep:
    People say there will be an earthquake in Cuba(I think its Cuba?), where the ancient civilisation which created and started this prophecy lived. they predicted the end of civilisation, their civilisation not the worlds. So a lot of people believe the Cuban population will be wiped out by this natural disaster

I don't belive in the 2012 nonsense though

well apparently it's not Cuba it's Maya?

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    course it is, doesn't everyone remember all the planes falling out of the sky when the year 2000 started?

ReputationRep:
    No, the mayans couldn't be arsed to do the calender any longer

ReputationRep:
    Why is this idea even being entertained?

This 2012 bull**** has to be the biggest display of mass stupidity since the Moon landing conspiracy was flavour of the month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    People say there will be an earthquake in Cuba(I think its Cuba?), where the ancient civilisation which created and started this prophecy lived. they predicted the end of civilisation, their civilisation not the worlds. So a lot of people believe the Cuban population will be wiped out by this natural disaster

I don't belive in the 2012 nonsense though
    There were no ancient civilisations in Cuba. The tribes who lived there prior to Spanish settlement were hunter-gatherer societies. You're thinking of the Maya.

In any case, it is impossible to accurately predict earthquakes in the long-term. They are spontaneous events caused by friction between plates that are sliding laterally past each other, and we just don't know enough about what's going on down there to even have an educated guess beyond "there will be an earthquake in the future"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Why is this idea even being entertained?

This 2012 bull**** has to be the biggest display of mass stupidity since the Moon landing conspiracy was flavour of the month.
    Pretty much summed it up there, well done.

(Original post by moonkatt)
    course it is, doesn't everyone remember all the planes falling out of the sky when the year 2000 started?
    You are an I D I O T! One was a widespread software bug, the other is related to a historic belief (that might even be made up) that is over dramatized because people have watched one movie about it with physics and effects that don't even closely resemble real life.

(Original post by Student2806)
    No, it won't. It's pseudoscientific drivel.
    Thank god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    There were no ancient civilisations in Cuba. The tribes who lived there prior to Spanish settlement were hunter-gatherer societies. You're thinking of the Maya.

In any case, it is impossible to accurately predict earthquakes in the long-term. They are spontaneous events caused by friction between plates that are sliding laterally past each other, and we just don't know enough about what's going on down there to even have an educated guess beyond "there will be an earthquake in the future"
    Don't shoot the messenger

ReputationRep:
    We've had tonnes of threads on this subject in the past few weeks and given that this thread is neither a current affair nor is it heading anywhere good I'm locking it. OP: Do a search or post in one of the existing threads.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.