Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jealousy Problem (Professional Help) watch

Anon or delete please

Hello guys,
    Please, I'm not looking for consoling like "oh it will be fine" or "oh just ignore it and live your life". I'm looking for advice from someone who has at least some experience in psychology or who has performed or has had any kind of therapy before.

Basically I have a huge jealousy and self-esteem problem. Every time I see someone making better progress in something, I feel jealous and it kind of 'discourages' me, which affects my self-esteem.

Whenever I feel good about myself, I try to "hold the thought" and "hold the feeling" like they instruct you to do in self-help programs and such..... Well, until something comes along and poops on my plate..... with something they have that I don't... then I get DISCOURAGED and feel like a low-life once again.

For example, my mate recently got a girlfriend... and I felt really jealous that I don't have one, and it affected my self-esteem to the point of depression.

Or for instance, someone scored higher marks than me in a test, I felt jealous and it affected my self-esteem.

I really hate feeling this way. I've tried numerous self-help books and self-help programs. They have worked quite well and have helped me a lot to become more positive and stronger. But this one jealousy/self-esteem issue I can't get rid of, no matter what I do.

Please, if anyone has any advice on how to get over your self-esteem issues it would be really appreciated. Psychology students, what would you recommend I do? How do I put a bullet in that 'inner voice' for good?

Please, let me repeat myself, I have read and used *NUMEROUS* self help books, articles, magazines, programs, video tapes, etc. I'm saturated.

Should I get a psychiatrist? Help me.

ReputationRep:
    MAN UP!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.