Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebCross)
    Indeed, but how does one tell a true friend from someone who's, well, not?
    Over the years, I've learnt to put in my best to make friends. But sometimes, the frequencies just ain't right. When I feel that happens, I'd distance myself away from these people.

Just use your earnest heart in interaction and this world would be a better place...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaganyee)
    Over the years, I've learnt to put in my best to make friends. But sometimes, the frequencies just ain't right. When I feel that happens, I'd distance myself away from these people.

Just use your earnest heart in interaction and this world would be a better place...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I've already posted a thread about this, but it didn't get many replies (probably because I didn't put 'Oxford' in the thread title to attract people :P) and since this seems to be a popular one I'll, as the OP said, use it to vent some of my own problems at Oxford.

Socially, things are fine. I've met some good people and have a decent balance. I've been involved in a few events. Things are rosy.

The problem, however, is the course. I'm studying English and I dread having to do it every day. I have absolutely zero motivation anymore and don't feel engaged at all with the course. I actually don't think I've learnt anything since I've been here either, or have improved any aspect of my work, which bothers me. I enjoyed English Lit at A level - however I think this was a result of the atmosphere of the school, and the inspirational teachers. I was great at the subject, but I can't say I was much of a reader outside the classroom - I always preferred to do further study for Maths and Biology before English, and it shown in my results - I got an A* in those two. I think the teachers were the main reason I applied for English - I was encouraged, despite several doubts, to apply to Oxford for English. The idea of Oxford was incredible to me, so of course I went with it, and ditched any thoughts of doing Maths or Natural Science at uni in favour of the prestige of Oxford.

If it was any other university I'd have dropped out by now, but it's Oxford and my family are so proud. I really don't want to let them down and it's killing me :/

I think if I left Oxford I'd probably do another year of A levels starting September 2013 including self studying Further and Additional Further Maths as well as Physics, applying for 2014 entry to unis with hopefully 5A* and an A total.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    I completely sympathize! I am from a working class family, and I couldn't imagine going to either Oxford or Cambridge, for exactly the same reason!

However this isn't about me. You seem incredibly miserable, and that doesn't seem worth it to me! If you aren't enjoying it, you won't flourish as you might if you are in a happy environment. I say go for Birmingham. It's still a very good university; its one of the Russell Group, which must tell you something

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.