Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok I know i've left it too late and everything so I really don't need to be told...

I SERIOUSLY need help with my A2 English Language coursework, Language Investigation. It's in for like TOMORROW and i've done barely anything.

I didn't get a lot of help from my teacher and i've been on a huff and not done it... BUT now i'm terrified and I need to do it. Fast. I'm so stuck, I don't know what to do.

I seriously am desperate and need some help with it...

My topic is the differences in language used when communicating across distances.

My data is:

A WW2 letter home from a soldier to his wife.
    A modern email home from a soldier to his family.

I honestly don't know what to do... Anything at this point helps.

Please. Just tell me what I need to include and what it means because i'm so confused and in this state of mind I don't remember or make sense of anything i've learned. I can't even think of where to start analysing the data.

Thankyou... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Let me die.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, is this a first draft? Or final submission?

If it's the latter. You're f**ked. I may be stating the obvious but yes you are indeed f**ked.

Why'd you leave it so late anyhow?

ReputationRep:
    Draft, but it will be corrected and have to be amended very quickly for submission. Help.

ReputationRep:
    Also, because I had other things to do and I was in a bad situation with the teacher and my pride got the better of me.

I might also point out that I was having a bad period at school and ended up focusing more on a final performance piece for drama.

Now I just want to be able to get it done and hand it in so she can tear me to shreads. I even missed my lesson to avoid facing her today because I was that scared. She's a little old deaf lady.

Anyway, I just need a structure to follow for it... And what to write, obviously, not as in writing the entire thing for me, just what each subsection includes.

I'm dying.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a semiotic analysis, or what? I don't quite understand what you mean by 'data' in this context. Then again, neither would a soldier in WW2.

I write letters by hand all the time. I also do a lot of emails. There's definitely a difference in the style and language that I use. Emails have more immediacy, are more informal generally ('Hi' as opposed to 'Dear'), the sentences tend to be shorter, the subjects more superficial.

Well chin up, old thing. Were you to go looking at some of the old films that were on at the flicks during my last leave, I should think you'd get a jolly good idea of the style of the thing. Have a crack at it. I'd rattle it off in a jiffy myself, but 'need to know' and all that

ReputationRep:
    Admit that you've done wrong by leaving everything to the last minute and try to talk tomorrow morning with your teacher. Maybe if you give her a valid justification she would extend the deadline for you, but staying all night is not going to solve anything really. What do you prefer, give in something you've done on a rush and sacrifice hours of sleeping or trying to do your best and giving in a great piece of coursework?

ReputationRep:
    What framework are you focusing in on? lexis, grammar, graphology, semantics etc? if you focus in on one or two of the frameworks, then your analysis of your data can be more detailed.
    there are several headings that i used in mine:
    Introduction
    Methodology
    Analysis - subcatergorised into Mixed Sex and Same Sex Male (I was doing a gender investigation)
    Conclusion

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys, all of this is very helpful. I'm doing it now.

I'm not facing my psycho teacher until i've finished it and she'll shut up.

She'll eat me alive otherwise.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.