Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who will vote against AV because of Ed Miliband? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling increasingly tempted to vote 'Yes' in order to give Clegg some resting space, but that tit Ed Miliband is continuously backing it. It would, in essence, be a vote for him. I despise the *******, and as a result voting 'Yes' is stomach-churning.

Anyone else have this problem? I might just spoil my ballot and write 'If Ed Miliband wasn't promoting it, I would vote yes'.

He is seriously irritating as a leader. I can't wait till 2015 in order to get rid of him. If the economy recovers strongly by 2015, he and his party are going to be in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    You should'nt vote in spite of someone or something, you should vote because you feel it's the right thing to do. Regardless of who agrees or disagrees with your opinions.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, as the saying goes.

ReputationRep:
    Of course Ed is backing it, it's how he 'won' the leadership!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No I'll vote about how I feel about the proposal.

ReputationRep:
    maybe they should have it so you put down your first and second choices in the referendum so you can vote against it in spite of ed if you really want to as your first choice, and then, somewhat paradoxically, vote for av as your second...

ReputationRep:
    Politicians have a habit of changing tack on a whim; I wouldn't be surprised if Ed came out and said he was against it all along in a few months.

Vote for what you feel. AV is meant (and I put emphasis on the word meant) to give small parties more of a chance in swing constituencies so Labour and the Tories probably won't gain a huge benefit from it. I'm voting Yes, despite the fact that Clegg is an advocate of AV, because ultimately I don't feel like voting against something I agree with in an attempt to spite a politician is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because voting against something that could potentially revolutionise our whole electoral system just to spite someone who won't even know about it doesn't sound idiotic at all. Are you seriously basing your decision on how much it will help one leader as opposed to another? Who is that pathetic? This isn't about party politics, it's about the future of our country. And of all the ways to express your dislike, you'd choose a ballot?! Do you not understand the concept of ballots? Ed Miliband is not going to know why you voted no, or that you even voted no.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be voting no because I want to not because of that hypocrit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    Of course Ed is backing it, it's how he 'won' the leadership!
    No he won the leadership because the people in the unions backed him, which I think isn't a bad idea, especially when they represent a part of the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    No he won the leadership because the people in the unions backed him, which I think isn't a bad idea, especially when they represent a part of the electorate.
    Several unions are now against AV. Odd really, a lot of Trade Unions (and political parties) use AV internally.

ReputationRep:
    David got 37.8% of the first preference vote, compared to Ed's 34.3%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I am feeling increasingly tempted to vote 'Yes' in order to give Clegg some resting space, but that tit Ed Miliband is continuously backing it. It would, in essence, be a vote for him. I despise the *******, and as a result voting 'Yes' is stomach-churning.

Anyone else have this problem? I might just spoil my ballot and write 'If Ed Miliband wasn't promoting it, I would vote yes'.

He is seriously irritating as a leader. I can't wait till 2015 in order to get rid of him. If the economy recovers strongly by 2015, he and his party are going to be in serious trouble.
    I'm a strong Lib Dem supporter, but I won't be voting AV because Clegg or Miliband want me to.

I'll be voting Yes, because I feel it is the better option for our electoral system, and will lead to greater democracy for the people of this country, and greater accountability for our MPs.

What Clegg or Miliband want is irrelevant, I make my decision for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Several unions are now against AV. Odd really, a lot of Trade Unions (and political parties) use AV internally.
    I'm in the union and I remember my parents cards being AV, they only vote in the General Election anyway. I remember my vote would have been to Ed, most certainly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that was the only voting group where he won, up until then it was David.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    Yes, but that was the only voting group where he won, up until then it was David.
    In my opinion that is the most important group. The MP's don't vote for them at the polling stations. I think that David would've kept the 'New Labour' brand going which doesn't represent the roots of the Labour Party.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion that is the most important group. The MP's don't vote for them at the polling stations. I think that David would've kept the 'New Labour' brand going which doesn't represent the roots of the Labour Party.
    What about the ordinary everyday members of the Labour party? Shouldn't they be the most important as a representation of the electorate? Even they didn't choose Ed.
    Yes, Labour's roots are from the Unions, but that was a long time ago and if they were in power Labour would have to do what is in the best interests of the country as a whole not just the Unionists who are a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots will. Ed miliband breathes too you going to stop to be the opposite of him with that?

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty worrying that the Op is warped enough to let the fact that Ed Miliband supports it decide his vote... I guess personality is more important than actually getting things right these days

ReputationRep:
    Why not research it and see it's pros and cons rather than basing your decision on what a few people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Its pretty worrying that the Op is warped enough to let the fact that Ed Miliband supports it decide his vote... I guess personality is more important than actually getting things right these days
    Just look at how many people dislike Cameron. I've lost count of the amount of people who don't like him because he is posh.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.