Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who will vote against AV because of Ed Miliband? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally against AV because the advert against it was rather amusing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'll vote based on what I feel is "right".

As it stands I've not fully made up my mind, but I have an inkling about which way I will vote.

(Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I am feeling increasingly tempted to vote 'Yes' in order to give Clegg some resting space, but that tit Ed Miliband is continuously backing it. It would, in essence, be a vote for him. I despise the *******, and as a result voting 'Yes' is stomach-churning.

Anyone else have this problem? I might just spoil my ballot and write 'If Ed Miliband wasn't promoting it, I would vote yes'.

He is seriously irritating as a leader. I can't wait till 2015 in order to get rid of him. If the economy recovers strongly by 2015, he and his party are going to be in serious trouble.
    The bottom line is whether or not you believe in AV, at least that's how I see it. Personally I think AV is 'progressive' but only weakly so and to the effect that it doesn't seem worth having strong feelings about. I won't lose any sleep which ever way it goes.

If the vote were on PR then I think it would be a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    AV is the system that elected Ed as leader of the labour party. That is enough to put me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)
    Politicians have a habit of changing tack on a whim; I wouldn't be surprised if Ed came out and said he was against it all along in a few months.

Vote for what you feel. AV is meant (and I put emphasis on the word meant) to give small parties more of a chance in swing constituencies so Labour and the Tories probably won't gain a huge benefit from it. I'm voting Yes, despite the fact that Clegg is an advocate of AV, because ultimately I don't feel like voting against something I agree with in an attempt to spite a politician is a good idea.
    The funny thing is that if Clegg alone was for it, I would vote 'Yes'. But because that complete tit Miliband is for it, I am not so enthusiastic.

I will think long and hard in the polling booth about it. How long can I stand in a booth? There is no time limit, right? I have three ballot papers to fill out on May 5th (Scottish parliament constituency, scottish parliament electoral region and the referendum ballots). The first two are straight forward, but the AV referendum will be a tough one. Presumably if I am standing there for 5 minutes or so just thinking about the proposal, that is quite a reasonable thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I am feeling increasingly tempted to vote 'Yes' in order to give Clegg some resting space, but that tit Ed Miliband is continuously backing it. It would, in essence, be a vote for him. I despise the *******, and as a result voting 'Yes' is stomach-churning.

Anyone else have this problem? I might just spoil my ballot and write 'If Ed Miliband wasn't promoting it, I would vote yes'.

He is seriously irritating as a leader. I can't wait till 2015 in order to get rid of him. If the economy recovers strongly by 2015, he and his party are going to be in serious trouble.
    It's not a vote for him, it's a vote for the voting system. Of course it has repercussions in party politics, but a No vote is far more advantageous to Ed Miliband in terms of party politics, but even then, I'd vote on the basis of the proposal than short-term knock-on effects in party politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    The bottom line is whether or not you believe in AV, at least that's how I see it. Personally I think AV is 'progressive' but only weakly so and to the effect that it doesn't seem worth having strong feelings about. I won't lose any sleep which ever way it goes.

If the vote were on PR then I think it would be a different matter.
    I know it isn't PR in the proper sense, but I would vote for an AMS/Hybrid voting system. It is fairly proportional, though certain parties (hint, hint: Labour) benefit from the Constituency element, even if they are 2nd place in terms of votes.

ReputationRep:
    No. I will vote for AV because I think it is right, regardless of anyone else's views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihavenospacebar)
    I'm personally against AV because the advert against it was rather amusing.

ReputationRep:
    No Stanley I don't think the AV vote had anything to do with Ed Miliband, much as you would have liked everything in UK politics to be dictated by him

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.