Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember, I've done everything in my capability to make that possible. Last year applying I had four straight rejections, so took a year out and have reapplied. This time I had four interviews, however today I received my fourth and final rejection. I felt my interviews went well, infact very well. There is nothing I regret saying/doing in my interviews, for me they were very true in terms of showing my personality, reasons for wanting to become a doctor etc. I suppose maybe it's not meant to be, and I should accept that, and choose an alternative career path. I know its not the end of the world not getting into medicine, but I don't know what else I can imagine doing for the rest of my life. I've looked at Optometry and Pharmacy and quite like Optometry. But alot of friends/family think I should do a Biochemistry/Biomedical Science degree, and reapply for medicine. But I dont think I want to go through that again.. and there's no job security with a Biochemistry degree. Anyway I'd just like some TSR advice on what I should do, because I'm quite confused.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about you applications.

Do any of the Unis offer feedback from your interviews? Out of interest, where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Reapply, if you have the grades. Just focus more on your interview technique and responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwelln)
    Sorry to hear about you applications.

Do any of the Unis offer feedback from your interviews? Out of interest, where did you apply?
    Southampton, queen mary, sussex and imperial. I haven't received any feedback as of yet, will ask for it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastels)
    Southampton, queen mary, sussex and imperial. I haven't received any feedback as of yet, will ask for it though!
    Not too sure how these unis operate but I think most will give you feedback if you request it.

If, after seeing the feedback, you feel you can improve on it then definitely go for it. To be honest, you seem so determined to do it that I would probably advise you just to keep going for it!

Do you think you'd be happy doing anything other than medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwelln)
    Not too sure how these unis operate but I think most will give you feedback if you request it.

If, after seeing the feedback, you feel you can improve on it then definitely go for it. To be honest, you seem so determined to do it that I would probably advise you just to keep going for it!

Do you think you'd be happy doing anything other than medicine?
    Yeah that's the thing lol, I think I'd be content with Optometry. It's a good job with good hours and pay, and it's similar to medicine in some ways, in terms of patient contact and things.
    My heart tells me to go for it, reapply. However would it be possible to do an Optometry degree and apply for grad entry medicine? In that way, if I don't get in, atleast I have something to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give us a list of your GCSE, A level grades. UKCAT score, and work experience/volunteering you have done, from this we can see if you could apply do different uni's as the easier universities to get into are liverpool, manchester, keele and you could reapply there, I would say give it another shot but at different med schools, with more wrk experience and better interview skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Can you give us a list of your GCSE, A level grades. UKCAT score, and work experience/volunteering you have done, from this we can see if you could apply do different uni's as the easier universities to get into are liverpool, manchester, keele and you could reapply there, I would say give it another shot but at different med schools, with more wrk experience and better interview skills
    Sure, my GCSEs are average; 8 As and 3 Bs. 3As and 1B for A-level. And UKCAT was 715 i think. I've done work experience in a hospital, gp surgery, pharmacy and also in a hospital abroad. As for voluntary, I work with St johns ambulance, done a few charity fundraising events and alot of things in 6th form. And at the moment im working as a HCA, in a hospital.

I've decided on going for graduate route, I have two choices and not sure which to go for: There is doing Biochemistry at Kings, OR Optometry at City.. Do you have any advice on that? Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Since you have to reapply by UCAS for optometry/sciences, could you not reapply to medicine and have that as your 5th choice?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, my GCSEs are average; 8 As and 3 Bs. 3As and 1B for A-level. And UKCAT was 715 i think. I've done work experience in a hospital, gp surgery, pharmacy and also in a hospital abroad. As for voluntary, I work with St johns ambulance, done a few charity fundraising events and alot of things in 6th form. And at the moment im working as a HCA, in a hospital.

I've decided on going for graduate route, I have two choices and not sure which to go for: There is doing Biochemistry at Kings, OR Optometry at City.. Do you have any advice on that? Thanks so much
    I think you should try again as you look good enough, damn I cannot believe you did not get a place with 715 for ukcat, dunno alot about graduate entry but I would go with a degree you enjoy so you will be motivated enough to get the 2:1, or 1 to get into med school however grad entry is very hard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.