Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm just wondering how difficult people think it would be for me to do C3/C4/S2 mainly over the summer but with some, only a little, teacher input afterwards?

I got an A* at GCSE, no problem, hardly revised. I struggled initially with C2, and I got 90 C1 plus 83 C2 in my January exams. I feel a little hard done by that, I thought I worked pretty hard and I knew the answers to all the questions, I think it was just possibly exam technique or something that let me down? I generally understand new topics well, but sometimes struggle in using methods from integrating various mathematical methods into just one problem. Ie, sometimes I had problems doing the integration/differentiation in M1, even though I was fine with it in C1/C2. I'll do M1, S1 and FP1 this summer, how difficult would you imagine it would be for me to do C3/C4 over the summer, and perhaps some S2 as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Okay, so I'm just wondering how difficult people think it would be for me to do C3/C4/S2 mainly over the summer but with some, only a little, teacher input afterwards?

I got an A* at GCSE, no problem, hardly revised. I struggled initially with C2, and I got 90 C1 plus 83 C2 in my January exams. I feel a little hard done by that, I thought I worked pretty hard and I knew the answers to all the questions, I think it was just possibly exam technique or something that let me down? I generally understand new topics well, but sometimes struggle in using methods from integrating various mathematical methods into just one problem. Ie, sometimes I had problems doing the integration/differentiation in M1, even though I was fine with it in C1/C2. I'll do M1, S1 and FP1 this summer, how difficult would you imagine it would be for me to do C3/C4 over the summer, and perhaps some S2 as well?
    You're similar to me. I got 93 C1 and 81 C2. C3 can be taught by yourself, I got 84 due to not doing any work for a month before the exam but I learnt it in around 2 weeks so it's not too hard so i'm gonna resit. C4 is a little tricky though.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I self-taught C3-4, M1 and FP3; to be honest it's just a case of trying. If you give it a go and you find it too tough then you've lost nothing, but if it goes well then you've just self-taught three modules. I found it incredibly hard at first (like the first 3-4 weeks or so), but after enough persistence I sort of 'broke the ice' and got into that way of learning, and the modules I self-taught were amongst the modules I did best in (although I probably did put more time into them). I can't tell you how you'll find doing it, I can only speak from my own experience, but I say go for it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You're similar to me. I got 93 C1 and 81 C2. C3 can be taught by yourself, I got 84 due to not doing any work for a month before the exam but I learnt it in around 2 weeks so it's not too hard so i'm gonna resit. C4 is a little tricky though.
    I've heard integration in C4 is a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I self-taught C3-4, M1 and FP3; to be honest it's just a case of trying. If you give it a go and you find it too tough then you've lost nothing, but if it goes well then you've just self-taught three modules. I found it incredibly hard at first (like the first 3-4 weeks or so), but after enough persistence I sort of 'broke the ice' and got into that way of learning, and the modules I self-taught were amongst the modules I did best in (although I probably did put more time into them). I can't tell you how you'll find doing it, I can only speak from my own experience, but I say go for it anyway.
    Fair enough. This is the answer I was expecting and am glad I received. What I really didn't want was someone recommending to me that I shouldn't do it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    I've heard integration in C4 is a *****
    It's a bit annoying. But when you get that you understand most of C4. You just have to do loads of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible! Although, it's hard to get your head around some concepts in C4, like when you first start integration or even partial fractions! Haha, but they become realllly easy after a while. I've been using mymaths.co.uk to practice integration, they teach you it step by step, it's really good! I'm loving integration at the moment! Vectors on the other hand...ughhh

P.S. S2 is much better than s1

ReputationRep:
    I self taught the whole maths course. The higher you score in the earlier modules, the better it is. I scored high in C1, C2, C3, S1 and S2, and so I do almost no work for C4, got a D but still got an A overall.

Obviously you should completely ignore this if you're aiming for an A*

Do every worked example in the book, use the questions as a base for learning, then do the questions at the end of each section. When you're confident with answering the questions, do every past paper question you can get your hands on. Edexcel, AQA, OCR, Elmwood Press, Solomon (obviously only answer the relevant questions). It won't be that different to the AS course, your previous high scores prove that you have the ability to self teach. Good luck with it all.

Edit: Just realised people are posting actually scores, well ok...

C1-85
    C2- 93
    S1- 91
    C3- 96
    C4-59
    S2-92

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.