Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have always wanted to travel Thailand or India (maybe even both!) and despite planning such travels for a few years running, something has always come up which means I haven't been able to go.

My student days are now numbered and I start working like a PROPER PERSON this September. That leaves me June, July and August to travel, and this may be my last every opportunity to have three months free. Of course, this falls right in the middle of wet season for both my dream destinations!

Having done lots of research, I have mixed messages on whether it would be THAT bad. I'm keen not to go if it will just be wet and cloudy, because I can always take a holiday there at a more suitable time of year. It wouldn't be as nice as travelling though.

Anyone been to either round that time of year? Any prospect of being able to enjoy the beach or nice weather?

Cheers for your insights xxx

ReputationRep:
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I went to Thailand/Laos in "wet" season. It wasn't that wet. It rained at night mostly, when I was either too drunk to care, or trying to catch some z's in a soul destroyingly hot dorm room

If you're wanting beaches, you'll be heading to Koh Tao/Phangan/Samui/Phi Phi etc... The east and west coasts of the "leg" of Thailand have alternating wet/dry seasons. May-October is the dry season on the east site (Koh Tao, Samui, Phangan) while on the west coast (Phi Phi) it could potentially be quite moist.

So what if it's cloudy? It's still going to be 30 degrees every day, and as an added bonus if you get caught in the rain it's usually very nice to be cooled down.

Now go book your flights. Schnell!

ReputationRep:
    India in June is likely to be flaming hot. You could follow the old British habits and head up to the hills to cool down. The monsoon can be an experience in itself. I'd go anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Go to India - Goa!!! DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

ReputationRep:
    India will be way too hot in the summer to enjoy it is best to go there in October time ideally during Diwali...I was there last October and was going to go back this summer but all the Indian I know said not to...they cant even bear the heat!
    Im going to Thailand this summer in July to teach English and then a wee holiday and the weather is supposedly bearable like a very hot summer here but depends what you want out of the holiday really ... is it going to be a booze fest or a cultural experience or volunteer work or ...?

ReputationRep:
    Nah go Malaysia!! you will love it i promise

ReputationRep:
    With the rainy season in Thailand last summer, it meant that we didn't get the rediculous temperatures (got highs of 40, but it's worse in spring) and it was periodic throughout the day, so you'll know when a rainstorm's coming and it wont last long. Probably the best part of that holiday was drinking beers with some other travellers we met whilst it was thundering and storming just a metre away where there wasn't cover. The rain also dries up within a few hours of falling.

A beach holiday might be different though, I didn't try out the beaches myself, and I can't speak for India. Definitely don't let it put you off though, the rainy season has its cons but it wont spoil the holiday.

ReputationRep:
    I would go to SEA as oppose to India to be honest. Temperatures are cooler & the monsoon isn't as severe. Although you could go hiking in the north of India & escape both the heat & rain entirely, up to you. How much money do you have btw? What are you interested in doing the most?

ReputationRep:
    It's really for the culture, as opposed to drinking or a volunteer placement - touring the sights, sampling local food etc.

It's now looking like "travelling" as such is off the cards, because my boyfriend is having interviews throughout the summer. A two-three week holiday to Thailand is still ON though, with a budget of about £1,000 xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy_Red)
    It's really for the culture, as opposed to drinking or a volunteer placement - touring the sights, sampling local food etc.

It's now looking like "travelling" as such is off the cards, because my boyfriend is having interviews throughout the summer. A two-three week holiday to Thailand is still ON though, with a budget of about £1,000 xxx
    £500 for flights. Leaves you with plenty for a 2 week holiday. Staying in comfortable accommodation and eating in restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to thailand in july, it's monsoon season but it tends to be really quick showers on and off in the late afternoon/evening, you are fine as long as you carry a wee umbrella in a bag apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy_Red)

I've been to both, in the summer. One year I went to Thailand in August, and to India during July and August. Firstly, I'd pick India over Thailand. I found Thailand a lot more touristy, with less to see, and I got less of a sense of the culture, although I did get good food in both places! The weather isn't amazing at that time, but it's not the end of the world. The beaches in Thailand will be better, weather-wise, than India, as Goa is not great in monsoon season. But then you can go up into the north of India where it's much cooler, and it's very interesting.

In either place, with a budget of £1000 each, you should be ok. Flights are expensive but it's definitely possible to live very cheaply out there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.