Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently got a lot of clothes to sell on eBay and I was just wondering what the best ways to go about this are.

So anyways, here goes

1) What is the best way for a new seller to get a decent reputation fairly quickly?
    2) All of the clothes are new so is it best to make sure the tags are on display?
    3) Is it best to hang up the clothes or fold them?
    4) Is it best to just auction them off? Or 'Buy it now / best offer'?

If anyone just has general advice then please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I have recently got a lot of clothes to sell on eBay and I was just wondering what the best ways to go about this are.

So anyways, here goes

1) What is the best way for a new seller to get a decent reputation fairly quickly?
    2) All of the clothes are new so is it best to make sure the tags are on display?
    3) Is it best to hang up the clothes or fold them?
    4) Is it best to just auction them off? Or 'Buy it now / best offer'?

If anyone just has general advice then please let me know
    1: Just ship your clothes with good shipping (state your shipping methods on the page) and you'll get high ratings. When people buy on the internet they hate waiting, however when you see that box that says your item shipped it makes us happy

2: Yes. Make sure the tags are visible if you can. Don't focus on the tags, instead on the whole article of clothing.

3: What? you mean when taking the picture? Just lay it out on the bed or carpet or something. if you mean just for storage, folding them takes less space but it doesn't really matter....

4: Do both. Have an auction for a lower price but the buy it now at what you would originally want to sell it. I hardly ever participate in auctions because a lot of the time (mainly with electronics) they end up the same or higher than retail for a used item.

Take good pictures, ones where we can see detail; I never buy anything that doesn't have a clear picture. Make sure you list the available sizes and whatnot. Be sure to reply as soon as possible and ship the same or next day if you can.

ReputationRep:
    YS got it spot on. Also take more pictures than you get for free if required, and if possible, wait for a 'free listing' weekend, where you'll save some of your costs. Ask people, if possible, if they can pay by cheque/cash in the post, because again, Paypal costs money.

If you put an item on for £160, and it gets sold for that price, after Paypal, shipping, listing, picture fees it all came down to about £130 for me. So be wary of those extra costs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    1: Just ship your clothes with good shipping (state your shipping methods on the page) and you'll get high ratings. When people buy on the internet they hate waiting, however when you see that box that says your item shipped it makes us happy

2: Yes. Make sure the tags are visible if you can. Don't focus on the tags, instead on the whole article of clothing.

3: What? you mean when taking the picture? Just lay it out on the bed or carpet or something. if you mean just for storage, folding them takes less space but it doesn't really matter....

4: Do both. Have an auction for a lower price but the buy it now at what you would originally want to sell it. I hardly ever participate in auctions because a lot of the time (mainly with electronics) they end up the same or higher than retail for a used item.

Take good pictures, ones where we can see detail; I never buy anything that doesn't have a clear picture. Make sure you list the available sizes and whatnot. Be sure to reply as soon as possible and ship the same or next day if you can.
    This is all i was going to say really.
    Just make sure you are reliable and you will get a good rating and people will rely on you and people will buy things from you.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit i'm reluctant to buy off people with very little feedbback, can't remember how i was able to get started :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Don't refuse to give a refund if a customer is unhappy with their item because if they leaves you a negative feedback or leaves bad Detailed Seller Ratings, then your seller performance will go down, if your seller performance goes down too much, Ebay will restrict you from selling indefinitely. You have to be careful with ebay rules, don't copy someone else's listing as that's infringement. Ebay do suspend alot of users regardless of how long you've been selling there and how much good feedback you've accumulated.

ReputationRep:
    i think you get charged more if a sale goes through as "buy it now".

ReputationRep:
    if you want to get some good ratings quickly then maybe buy some things on your account so you can get good feedback? Depends if you want the account strictly for selling or not. But I would say as others have, put as many pictures up as possible, it's the most important thing for me when buying from ebay.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Mess.

Have only scanned thru this post, and PS says it bang on!

Keep your ebay accounts separate, one for selling and one for buying!

Always factor in the cost of advertising and paypal costs.

Oh YES !! MAKE PAYPAL PREFERRED!!! Not the only way, but preferred!

Make sure all postage of items is recorded as STANDARD! Add in signed for as an extra! The extra cost is so worth it in regards to getting a more professional outlook for your seller account and it makes people choose you cause they feel safer in the long run. And YES !! They will pay the extra more to feel safer!! I did !!!

Regarding the photos, use natural light, hang the items up when taking pics and consider getting a tailors dummy type thing at some point, again more professional.

At the beginning of this, consider using a feature or 2 in the Ebay site, cause you will need to draw folks into your auctions until you break the 50 barrier at least.

Make sure you keep your customers informed of postal times, a wee email to confirm is such a warm fuzzy feeling, give them time to view the item and return it if needed...

Handy hint! Do a little research and see how the others do it..

Use disclaimers, make the advert pull in the punters.

DO NOT do this sort of thing.. http://bit.ly/mess01
    Put the effort in and do this.. http://bit.ly/mess02

and lastly make the emails from you a little bit personal, again, this makes the buyer feel all warm and fuzzy

Right enough fae me, I need a coffee!!!
    Hope it all goes well with you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.