Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I don't think so. Not on a huge scale, because of the principle of Mutually Assured Destruction. Were we to go to a World War, it'd surely be catastrophically awful for humanity (and over extremely fast...)
    I believe half an hour was the estimate it would take at the height of the cold war.

ReputationRep:
    Rampage

ReputationRep:
    It would never happen

ReputationRep:
    doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    No no no, it will be Mr. Rogers.
    I was thinking of the Ultimite Showdown too

ReputationRep:
    Yep. In fact I would go as dar saying we will see a major war in the next 10 years. Rising food prices will keep adding to the fire

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

It'll happen within the next 30 years if you ask me, when countries like China/India/Brazil become fully developed.

Or when there isn't enough food/oil to go around, despite the demand.

Although that's the karma if you pop out too many babies.

ReputationRep:
    I bloody well hope not! With all the modern technology and weapons in the world today it would be an absolute bloodbath and would probably have very long-lasting and horrendous implications for generations (that is, if anyone survives).

I don't doubt that there will be wars in our lifetime (the situation in Africa and the Middle East at the moment is looking rather tense) - but I think it's unlikely that enough nations will join in for it to be classed as a world war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    One of these things we can't really predict. Maybe the Cold War counts as World War III but War... War always changes. The Formats of World War 1 and World War 2 were only given brief previews in South Africa and Manchuria respectively, I doubt we'll know how the next World War will be waged until afterwards.
    No no no no no . . . war never changes.

Honestly TSR! I expect better pop culture knowledge than this!

ReputationRep:
    I normally hate it when people quote stuff, but this Einstein quote seems appropriate and not too cringe-worthy...
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

ReputationRep:
    People would hope that nations would have learned lessons from the past and would want to avoid a full scale global conflict. But on the flip side of everything some powers have shown that they love to intervene or fight by proxy, making things tense. who can predict the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm clever)
    I was asked this question today and was unable to respond as I know absolutely nothing about politics. How likely is it that WW3 happens when we're still alive? Maybe in the next 60 years? If it were to happen, what would be the cause and would it annihilate all life on Earth as nuclear proliferation is increasing globally?

Einstein's quote is striking "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones".
    That Einstein quote does get around quite a bit, but I couldn't help saying;how can it be a world war with just sticks and stones? If they haven't developed some sort of decent weaponry, then they wouldn't be called a nation. And no nations = no world

ReputationRep:
    It's not impossible no.... there are so many civil wars right now / going on all the time anyway - North koreas' actions and possible provocation at the end of last year almost started a conflict as well but I think most if not all countries want to avoid all out, full scale world war

A 'world war 3' may not be a fully international war, but just be with a few countries

ReputationRep:
    I would lay money on it being quite early within our lives. You'll hear the "Economy is to interconnected" card being thrown down a lot, however, if America and Japan had the economy links they did before World War Two when deals were struck to aid America out of the Great Depression, then surely it can happen again. There are other examples, but that being one of the main ones.
    Also, China and America hold the last rights to Oil; that will get pretty intense. Given a land war with the Middle East's reserves is hardly out of the question, it wouldn't take much to occupy Saudi Arabia's fields, given the numerical supremacy of the pair's Armed Forces. That will definitely raise tensions.

The use of Nuclear Weapons is debatable, though. Given we can now shoot them down, predict their trajectories from their launch and use focused-energy weapons to destroy them. However, if a conventional war was to be fought, the use of smaller warheads (1-5 megaton, maybe) could be used against large military formations, camps, airfields, etc. I think it'll be far more focused around conventional warfare. Given the massive leaps in conventional fighting; however, for such a war to break down into small unit action taking out key locations/individuals/resources etc, is hardly far-fetched. Training such units, giving them that new bloody active-camo-suit thing along with new rifles/sub-machine guns, etc, you'll be able to hold/take such objectives.

Then again, the Third World War fought by Special Forces? Hmm, potentially not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    It's not impossible no.... there are so many civil wars right now / going on all the time anyway - North koreas' actions and possible provocation at the end of last year almost started a conflict as well but I think most if not all countries want to avoid all out, full scale world war

A 'world war 3' may not be a fully international war, but just be with a few countries
    By definition then though it wouldn't be a world war, just a localised one.

ReputationRep:
    Better ready my raygun...

ReputationRep:
    Yer, in 2013... when the world's already supposedly ended :P

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Christianity v Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but it will happen at some point.

This quote from Fallout 3 is perfectly applicable to this in my opinion.

War. War never changes. Since the dawn of humankind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything: From God, to justice, to simple psychotic rage. In the year 2077, after a millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation. But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world, but war, war never changes.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.