Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm currently in my final year of an undergrad degree, and am looking at applying for a masters at a different university, starting in 2012, after a year out with voluntary work experience etc. However, after discussions with my parents, they have suggested that I apply for this year instead, as universities will be putting their own postgraduate fees up in 2012 to comply with the undergraduate fee rise. However, I want a year out of education and would like a year's work experience, so ideally I'd like to take a year out before applying.

I know this question has been asked many times, and I have been extensively searching Google, but I have not yet found a reliable answer from a reliable source. Also, the answers are heavily contrasting - some people say that postgrad fees will go through the roof; others say they won't. So I'm looking for a concise, reliable answer from a reliable source. What is the likelihood of having to pay an extortionate amount for a masters starting in 2012?

Thanks in advance.

I've been searching for the same information and stumbled across this written by the University of Durham:

"Some students have been concerned about the possibility of significant increases in postgraduate fees for 2012/13 in response to the reduction in the Government subsidy of fees for UK undergraduates. We would like to reassure applicants to our courses. The levels of postgraduate fees are not regulated by the UK Government and the recent decisions on undergraduate fees do not apply to postgraduate fees either for UK or non-UK students. Postgraduate fees have always been independently set by Durham University. Postgraduate fees are reviewed annually. At Durham University there is no expectation that there will be any significant increase in postgraduate fees (Masters or PhD) in 2012/13 other than to reflect any cost inflation. The details of postgraduate fees for 2011/12 can be found at www.durham.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees/costs/ and the details of fees for 2012/13 entry will be available from April/May 2011. A wide range of Durham University scholarships are available to help students meet part or all of the costs of their fees and details and how to apply can be found by browsing the links on the left."

Perhaps it's best to check with the University or school you're planning on applying to, to be sure.

Postgraduate course fees have always been set by the market. This has not changed. They are usually determined by the quality of the course/uni and how lucrative they are in attracting potential foreign and home students (demand). The change in the undergraduate fee system has no direct bearing on postgraduate fees.

There may be secondary impacts to the postgraduate market. However, I seriously doubt these will be substantial. Perhaps a slow and progressive increase in prices (for home students) may be expected. However, there is a case to say that with much bigger costs for undergraduate degrees - less people will be inclined to progress to masters level. Secondly, most master's degrees are actually designed to attract foreign students and not home students. The international course fee market being set by a completely different logic from that of the home.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.