Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear All

This year I applied for medicine at Kings College, Leeds, Leicester and Queens Marys. I have recently been rejected by all four unfortunately. Overall I think the competition was too much and there were more people with better academic grades than me.

In my GCSEs I got 3As, 6Bs and 1 C.
    In my AS-Levels (Chem, Bio, Economics and History) I got 4 As.
    I really messed up my UKCAT, only got 585

I'm thinking of taking a gap year, and doing some really good work experience possibly abroad and resitting my UKCAT test (hoping for 650+) and then re-applying for medicine next year at easier Universities like Peninsula or Southampton (providing I get 3 As at A-Level). Please can you leave a comment whether I have a good chance of getting admission next year or whether I should throw in the towel for medicine and do something else :confused: Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan, assuming you get the right grades in your A2s

ReputationRep:
    Go for it man

ReputationRep:
    You could try to apply again next year but make sure you have a back up choice like such as Medical Sciences just in case and with this there is a chance to transfer to Medicine. Or you could try applying to a course like this through Extra this year and try to transfer to Medicine or do a post-grad.

ReputationRep:
    You will have better chance as a gapper .. trust me. I am so glad i reapplied for Medicine rather than doing a 3 year degree then doing medicine after that =D

ReputationRep:
    Pick your uni's better this time round - King's are notorious about being harsh on GCSE's, and Barts have a UKCAT cut-off that will always be over 600, if not way higher. Get your A2's, resit your UKCAT (there are revision guides and thousands of practice questions available, and despite the initial claims when they implemented the test, it is definitely possible to revise for it), and get more work experience - it doesn't need to be abroad. How about long term voluntary work? Anything with a caring focus is good, but try care homes, hospices, hospitals... If you need to earn money on your gap year, try to get a HCA job, or GP receptionist, etc.

Remember that you can get your new personal statement draft checked over here by the TSR PS Help Team Best of luck; it's worth having a 2nd shot at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Pick your uni's better this time round - King's are notorious about being harsh on GCSE's, and Barts have a UKCAT cut-off that will always be over 600, if not way higher. Get your A2's, resit your UKCAT (there are revision guides and thousands of practice questions available, and despite the initial claims when they implemented the test, it is definitely possible to revise for it), and get more work experience - it doesn't need to be abroad. How about long term voluntary work? Anything with a caring focus is good, but try care homes, hospices, hospitals... If you need to earn money on your gap year, try to get a HCA job, or GP receptionist, etc.

Remember that you can get your new personal statement draft checked over here by the TSR PS Help Team Best of luck; it's worth having a 2nd shot at.
    Thanks for the reply, yeh your right I will do some experience and then re-apply

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.