Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who you voting for in the May 5th Scottish parliament elections. POLL! watch

• View Poll Results: Please pic ONE for regional and ONE for constituency!
    SNP (constituency ballot)
    26.67%
    Labour (constituency ballot)
    6.67%
    Conservatives (constituency ballot)
    43.33%
    Liberal Democrats (constituency ballot)
    10.00%
    Other (constituency ballot)
    6.67%
    SNP (regional ballot)
    26.67%
    Labour (regional ballot)
    13.33%
    Conservatives (regional ballot)
    26.67%
    Liberal Democrats (regional ballot)
    3.33%
    Other (regional ballot)
    6.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Conservatives, naturally. Credible leader and the most solid manifesto put forward thus far, plus they've demonstrated themselves as able to work with other parties to bring about their policy commitments despite being the third party in Scotland.

Labour and the SNP are practically the same, with the latter being rather more unpleasant to me due to their Scottish nationalism. As for the Lib Dems, meh.

In terms of the general political landscape, things are uninspiring: four more years of Alex Salmond attempting to undermine the unity of the country and putting forward things like minimum alcohol pricing would be miserable, but getting Iain Gray - the least charismatic man in Scotland - in, with his rag-tag front bench, is almost as depressing. Still, Gray for First Minister is probably my preferred outcome between the two - and I predict he'll win it.
    Annabelle Goldie has come across very well so far in the campaign. However, the national trend means the Conservatives are likely to lose some seats, although not as many as the Liberal Democrats.

Your characterization of the SNP and Labour being ostensibly the same is quite inaccurate. There are countless differences: the constitution, mandatory prison sentences for knife crime, the use of PFI, minimum pricing of alcohol, Local Income Tax, withdrawal from NATO, etc.

You seem to be very much an "old school" anti-devolution Scottish Tory, which is the self-same ideology which has proved disastrous to your electoral fortunes. Too much Michael Forsyth and not enough Murdo Fraser.

Hopefully, after the election Murdo Fraser will become leader of the Scottish Conservatives with Derek Brownlee second in command. Murdo Fraser is pro devolution and pro fiscal responsibility for the Parliament and I think would be excellent.

Ultimately, I think the Conservatives would do very well in an independent Scotland.

Sorry I meant to say they will do very well in an independent Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    Labour and Labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodyshock)
    Conservatives winning in a Scottish poll?...hmm something smells fishy here.

Teaddict, Rakas21, NGC773, The_Male_Melons, and Arbolus don't seem Scottish to me. huh

And L i b is a wannabe English anyway.
    Could just be because a lot of scots in tsr are tory voters, or the fact that the left majority vote is split evenly accross the other parties, but the right wing vote is concentrated on the tories.

EDIT: some of these voters are english!!!

ReputationRep:
    If ya want the Scottish university tuition fees to remain free for Scottish and EU citizens, which is the best party for that to vote for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmaattrriixx)
    If ya want the Scottish university tuition fees to remain free for Scottish and EU citizens, which is the best party for that to vote for?
    Without a shadow of a doubt the SNP. The SNP are committed to free tuition fees at all costs as it is the tradition of Scottish education.

Since we are a member of the EU we are duty bound to provide the same to EU students and so it is guaranteed to be free for EU students too.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superscot)
    Without a shadow of a doubt the SNP. The SNP are committed to free tuition fees at all costs as it is the tradition of Scottish education.

Since we are a member of the EU we are duty bound to provide the same to EU students and so it is guaranteed to be free for EU students too.
    Yeah, except the SNP despise that part of European equality law. Moreover, they're a nationalist party - I'm not sure why anyone would even consider voting for them, even if they could somehow appeal to one's self-interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmaattrriixx)
    Pretty much any of the parties really.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.