Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slew)
    Rumour has it that the average medical school applicant has at least 5a* at GCSE, so why are the minimum requirements for medical schools far less than this, surely if they don't generally accept someone without a string of a* then why don't the admission requirements reflect this?
    There are two possible reasons why.

And loads of GCSE A* does not equal clever, neither does few equal stupid. GCSEs are potentially useful, but other factors are more important.

Obvious really.

ReputationRep:
    End of the day they are looking for reasons to reject you , soo if ur gcse's arent up to scratch , just make sure u beat everyone else at ukcat a level and work experience and volunteering ,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyD27)
    End of the day they are looking for reasons to reject you , soo if ur gcse's arent up to scratch , just make sure u beat everyone else at ukcat a level and work experience and volunteering ,
    Well I only have 2a* 7a 2b so hopefully I will be unbelievable in other aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slew)
    People always say good A-levels balance out good GCSEs but surely everyone will have good A-levels i.e. AAA?
    You would be surprised; I know two people who applied after getting Cs in their Chemistry AS modules. One has a couple of good offers, the other got straight rejections.

But yeah, it is generally accepted that the majority of applicants will have good A Levels, which is why personal statements, work experience and UKCAT/BMAT scores are so important. Good GCSEs are always a bonus but I imagine that if the choice was between someone with decent GCSEs and a fantastic personal statement and a great UKCAT score and someone with outstanding GCSEs and not much work experience they'd go for the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc18)
    Hey people !

Basically I received a rejection from a particular university and it stated that I did not meet the grade requirements

However I achieved AAB + Wels back qualification before applying I was told that the welsh back was accepted as an A and That I met the requirements and that I was sure of an interview.
    Mid march I received a rejection and I was shocked and surprised.

So I emailed them and also wrote to them.

2 weeks later today I received an email from their head of admissions requesting for me to send a copy of my welsh baccaelatte certificates and providing I did this I would get an interview.
    They've also requested me to fax it as soon as possible which I will do however I am rather annoyed.

My qualifications were clearly stated on my ucas , had this been thoroughly examined I would of had an interview at an early date. This particular university have allocated most offers and the open day for new students was t
    Being annoyed is understandable. I think that admissions tutors are often focused on A-levels to the exclusion of any other qualification. A similar thing happened to one of my friends who applied with 2 A-levels (Biology and Chemistry at grade A) and a score of 45 in the IB - which is a perfect score and equivalent to six A-levels at grade A. Eventually she got two offers after four initial rejections without interview due to failing to meet the entry requirements - all when she had the equivalent of 8 A-levels at grade A. Anyway, put the hassle factor behind you. If you are still interested in the school then fax them the certificate and do what you can to ace the interview. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)
    You would be surprised; I know two people who applied after getting Cs in their Chemistry AS modules. One has a couple of good offers, the other got straight rejections.

But yeah, it is generally accepted that the majority of applicants will have good A Levels, which is why personal statements, work experience and UKCAT/BMAT scores are so important. Good GCSEs are always a bonus but I imagine that if the choice was between someone with decent GCSEs and a fantastic personal statement and a great UKCAT score and someone with outstanding GCSEs and not much work experience they'd go for the former.
    Yes but what were thei GCSEs like because mine aren't great but I've got an A in every module I've done so far except one which I got a B and that wasn't in Bio or Chem still got 4 rejections. Though to be fair I didn't have the best work exp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I have only about 2. :sad:

Anyway, I think it's because they don't want to scare potential students away, since some people mature later and achieve better grades during A-levels. Also, I highly doubt that every single candidate has at least 5 A*s.
    I only have one

I have more A* grades at A Level than at GCSE. <-- never realised that before this thread, finding it quite amusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I only have one

I have more A* grades at A Level than at GCSE. <-- never realised that before this thread, finding it quite amusing!
    I'm going to work like hell to get at least one A* grade at A-level. Did you get into medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day medicine was reletively unknown and was pretty well neglected as way too hard for anyone with a social life. I got in just before that stupid TV series House made it look like it was fun, high paying and easy. Suddenly no one could get into med school :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I'm going to work like hell to get at least one A* grade at A-level. Did you get into medicine?
    :yep: I'm at Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I only have one

I have none

Therefore by TSR standards I shouldn't be in medical school...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I have none

Therefore by TSR standards I shouldn't be in medical school...:eek:
    lol. me neither.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.