Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my test is due soon and im starting to look at cars. My dad thinks its a good idea to look at a new car as its only £99 a month on hire purchase and he said I should use my £1500 for a deposit as wont have problems with new car. Im 27 so wont have a problem with credit just bit scared if i bang it. Insurance for new car is cheaper and will be more fuel efficent so many pluses and hardly any cons xx :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    What kind of car would it be?

ReputationRep:
    Its a new studio KA i love it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Only cons..... depreciation and you will need to service it at a franchised garage for the duration it is under warranty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Only cons..... depreciation and you will need to service it at a franchised garage for the duration it is under warranty.
    Yeah i agree. The benefits outweigh the disadvantages though.
    Personally id go for a kia picanto though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i just think that with petrol so high i wanna get as much as I can out of it, plus insurance is about £400 cheaper on new car! Road tax is £30 a year!!! And can trade it in after 3 years for new one ) Im defo open to other cars Kia and Micra are defo 2 and 3 on my list then a C1 just want to know it will start when i get up got about £2000 for a deposit x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    This is no longer true, I believe. Any garage can service the car as long as they use original parts and stamp the book. I may be wrong on this though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its silly as a new driver to buy a new car ie bumps and scraps and whatever. My dad said u will get bumps and scraps if ure new driver or old so no difference x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salfordfairy)
    Yeah i just think that with petrol so high i wanna get as much as I can out of it, plus insurance is about £400 cheaper on new car! Road tax is £30 a year!!! And can trade it in after 3 years for new one ) Im defo open to other cars Kia and Micra are defo 2 and 3 on my list then a C1 just want to know it will start when i get up got about £2000 for a deposit x
    You could consider a nearly new car.... you will still get the low insurance.

Financing deals usually only on new cars though.

Personally, as a first car I'd probably go for a 2-3 year old car rather than one that's brand new.

(Original post by Nuffles)
    This is no longer true, I believe. Any garage can service the car as long as they use original parts and stamp the book. I may be wrong on this though.
    It depends on the make, some cars you can get away as long as you're using genuine parts, servicing it outside won't invalidate the warranty, but it's more likely they may give you hassle and will attempt their best to invalidate it.

Do you think its silly as a new driver to buy a new car ie bumps and scraps and whatever. My dad said u will get bumps and scraps if ure new driver or old so no difference x
    Just buy what you can best afford

ReputationRep:
    Just read a review of the new KA says u can get 200 mile out of £20 of petrol which is pretty good I think x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    It depends on the make, some cars you can get away as long as you're using genuine parts, servicing it outside won't invalidate the warranty, but it's more likely they may give you hassle and will attempt their best to invalidate it.
    No, I'm pretty sure it was a part of some new european legislation to make it more affordable to keep the car fully serviced.

Here's a source which backs up what I'm saying:
    http://www.elephant.co.uk/help/easie...ng/service.php

ReputationRep:
    You can get them serviced anywhere...
    Servicing restrictions were lifted in May 2004 by the Office of Fair Trading under a ruling called Block Exemption. In short, Block Exemption means that you can now take your car to any independent garage to have it serviced and repaired, provided everything is carried out in line with the manufacturer's guidelines.
    I would buy the nicest, best condition car you can possibly afford. Aside from the cheaper tax the amount of money and hassle you will save from having a reliable car will far outweigh the initial expenditure. That said, I wouldn't buy new as the depreciation will be similar to throwing your money away. I'd go for buying next to new (i.e. ex demo from a garage) or even one that's ex-lease.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh its on a lease scheme so I get to trade it in after 3 years or pay 4k to keep it just want sum thing safe and reliable and fuel efficient

ReputationRep:
    i would also recommend against a brand-spanking-new whip.

maybe one at 1 to 2 years old if you can afford this, as it will have lost a fair chunk of its value through depreciation.

other than being the first owner of the car (meaning you'll know about its history, etc), the only other benefits of being one brandnew is that you won't have to worry about mot's for a while ^^

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty good job above 20k a year so I can afford 100 a month plus my insurance is paid for by my inheritance off my nana just think it will be cheap in long run

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty good job above 20k a year so I can afford 100 a month plus my insurance is paid for by my inheritance off my nana just think it will be cheap in long run
    well you're sorted then ;D

what colour is the ka? o.o

ReputationRep:
    It's sunshine its a coral color now I just have to pass ha ha ha oh and get finance don't know how strict they are x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    No, I'm pretty sure it was a part of some new european legislation to make it more affordable to keep the car fully serviced.

Here's a source which backs up what I'm saying:
    http://www.elephant.co.uk/help/easierMotoring/service.php
    Oh never realized that....... not had a car I have to worry about servicing for a while.... last one was in 2004

Been getting company cars where we just drive it in, take the courtesy car and off we go, later we just pay the bill and claim it

So far only car had to service is the Mini, but it goes back to a Mini garage, maintenance is free for the first 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Pass your test before you buy. you may fail, bigger chance of failing than passing so you may well fail when you do the test though you could well pass

ReputationRep:
    If you go with companies like Churchill they charge the same for a provisional policy as a full one (not sure if you've got it set up or nearly yet?) and you get a years no claims at the end of the policy even if some months were provisional license only. And Endsleigh are offering an accelerated six month no claims

In your case I probably would get the new car. Like you said after three years you can get another, and in three years I'm sure you'll be a lots better driver and more confident.

I passed in March 2010 and had a 2006 Seat Ibiza. Got it cleaned yesterday and can see these odd scratches in the paint work. Sad thing is, its not even me that's done them! But I am not too disheartened I'm 19, realise its my first car and will probably run it into the ground and sell it if/when I am out of uni and hopefully on a grad job and can get myself something on finance like you are. Providing I don't wreck it before then of course.

Think if you park in public places you have to accept other people will damage paintwork. Its pretty normal for people to have a bump or lose a wing mirror when they first start driving (people I've spoken to anyway) but with your salary you could probably put it right relatively easy if you didn't want to claim off insurance and the excess is high ish.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.