Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in year 11 at the moment at an all girls grammar school

i was planning to take 3 a levels in my school's sixth form, sports studies, physcology and i.t. but i've just been told that my sports and i.t clash in the timetable and that i can only take one of them.

my career choice is that i want to join the royal navy and i have taken my recruit test and passed enough to become and officer. to become an officer you need 180 ucas points and it doesn't matter which a levels you take which is why i chose the ones i like.

now i don't no whether to move schools to take the ones i like or just stay where i am and change the i.t for something else but the thing is i think that every other lesson would be boring and i won't enjoy it.

also the school i would move to is a comprehensive and is a mixed gender school. i think this would help me get more lad mates which i don't have many of due to going to an all girls school, there is a lad's school next door but we never interact with them really. i think we do more in sixth form but i'm not sure sure. i also no a few people in this comprehensive school from primary school but i have changed so much and hardly speak to any of them. i would be leaving all my friends if i left but would it be worth it?

sorry to go on but it's stressing me out and i could really use some advice, especially from people who have gone through something like this before.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    It's a good way to chuck yourself into a new environment and out of your comfort zone!

If it means you get to do the subjects you want to then i'd suggest it. No fun in dragging yourself around for 2 years dreading that boring period of subject X every day.

There is likely to be other people that have come from different areas, you will make new friends in your classes. There's no reason why you can't keep in touch with your current friends though

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gone through this, but I think the best thing to do is to stick at your Grammar and do a different subject. If you move to the comprehensive you will have to adjust to a new way of teaching, getting taught with boys and also making new friends, and the awkward meetings with old mates. In the sixth form, a vital two years to get your grades, can you really risk not being fully happy in the new school and this affecting your results?
    I go to a school where many want to change to sixth form for, and many don't fit in properly. Out of 12 who came last year, only 2 are really socially accepted fully.
    Hope this helps.

Also, many subjects at A Level are totally different to the same one at GCSE, for example I found chemistry boring at GCSE, but love it at A Level! Is it worth changing to a new school and splitting from your friends for just one subject, especially when they don't specify specific subjects you need?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important to note the differences between the schools to figure out if the changes will be worth it / even beneficial.

Would you be going form a secular environment to a religious one or vice versa?
    Will you have to travel for a longer or for a shorter time period?
    Will you miss out on a good teacher in the AS subjects you're taking?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    It's a good way to chuck yourself into a new environment and out of your comfort zone!

If it means you get to do the subjects you want to then i'd suggest it. No fun in dragging yourself around for 2 years dreading that boring period of subject X every day.

There is likely to be other people that have come from different areas, you will make new friends in your classes. There's no reason why you can't keep in touch with your current friends though
    I agree with this. You get to make new friends (as well as keeping your new ones) and you get to do the subjects you want.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.