Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I feel that as a teenager, I have every right to criticise it. Most people on this thread have had their teenage years done and gone.

For me, I witness this on a daily basis. People thinking that being "social" is everything.

(Original post by llamalad200)
    i kind of think it is. these years are the ones where you have an excuse to be silly and mess around. the stories are great conversation tools when things start to run dry. think about comedians, a good proportion of their jokes are them telling their strange experiences from when they were younger.
    I'd rather not have the teenage experience then.

(Original post by righteous)
    Wouldn't you agree though that such a stage of exposure and experimentation is necessary or at least beneficial for proper development though? I'm not sure whether this is the case or not by the way, just interested in your opinion.
    No, says who?

How do people become successful socially without practise in social situations? Arguably the social situations encountered as teenagers have little connection with the adult world, but there is still a great degree of social interaction involved.
    It's possible.

ReputationRep:
    Jeeze man stop being so *****Y.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm arrogant for having an opinion?
    yeah pretty much i just dont understand it

ReputationRep:
    Why do individuals feel it is necessary to drink weekly (or more often), attend parties or other social goatherings as often as possible, and hang/chill/other every evening?

The nation would be better if we had a much greater proportion of younger people studying to achieve much closer to their potentials at every level of education. This (need it say it) would bring up the educated quality of the average UK student, a great benefit to the economy.

Do not be intimidated by those who say they have done the various listed things. If you enjoyed youself, great. If not, you studied well.

(Original post by miss_sporty)
    yeah pretty much i just dont understand it
    Why am I not allowed an opinion?

Is it because you don't agree with it?

But isn't that the point of an opinion?

(Original post by Van Grall)
    Why do individuals feel it is necessary to drink weekly (or more often), attend parties or other social goatherings as often as possible, and hang/chill/other every evening?

The nation would be better if we had a much greater proportion of younger people studying to achieve much closer to their potentials at every level of education. This (need it say it) would bring up the educated quality of the average UK student, a great benefit to the economy.

Do not be intimidated by those who say they have done the various listed things. If you enjoyed youself, great. If not, you studied well.
    As a secondary school student, put it this way, it won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    i feel the same! but I think of those less fortunate, makes me feel more appreciative of my current situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

I'm 19 years old male, in my first year at uni and have found a girl who stuff is starting to happen with.
    But when I look back over my teenage years I feel like I've missed out on a lot... I've never been in a relationship or even kissed, never really went to parties / got drunk and didn't have a solid group of friends (more just good friends with individuals). Its not that I haven't enjoyed the past 5 or so years of my life - I really have - its just that I feel that I may have missed out on some stuff
    I don't really know what I'm hoping to get by posting on here, I just wanted to put it out there!
    I feel like I am in the same position, really looking forward to university next year

ReputationRep:

:confused: i really think you should let it go, it was a comment your acting like i told you something awful

ReputationRep:
    I'm detecting a large number of points being missed.

The "teenage life" phenomenon is driven both by social conditions and by hormonal/behavioural changed associated with mental development.
    These are not the same for everyone.

Some people will not be interested in it at all, others will love it, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, beyond its role in mental/social development.

I'm So Academic is quite correct to state that her opinion is valid irrespective of her age.
    That opinion may or may not change with time.

ReputationRep:
    its not like you missed out, you have the rest of your life to do these things

ReputationRep:
    So why knock my way of life?

i didnt
    i was saying how great my way of life is.. then you said its not for everyone.
    never said yours was bad.

ReputationRep:
    So? Who ever said it was a necessity?
    Great comment...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samconly)
    Great comment...:confused:
    bell
    end

ReputationRep:

You are allowed your opinion but you should be euthanized for being such an outspoken [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I'm much the same as you. I'm 18, will be going to Uni this Sept, have never had a bf nor kissed a guy before, and because I've moved around quite a lot all my life, I've never settled down in one place for more than a few years and so never made a solid group of friends, just individual people here and there. Also, when I was at 6th form I lived 40mins away from the college and so didn't go to many parties because most people lived near the college and it was hard for me to go to that area at night.

Yeah sometimes I feel sad and deprived of the parties, drinking sessions and fun times with a solid group of friends but that doesn't really matter to me anymore, I don't get upset by it anymore because I know all that is to come when I go to Uni.

Nobody knows nobody when they 1st go to Uni, I'll be just like the rest of the student population, going around making friends with flat mates and lecture friends in freshers week. And I know that I'll be able to do fun stuff like join societies, go clubbing and drinking (I'm not a overly huge drinker though). And I feel better in doing all this stuff at Uni instead of 6th form or younger as we'll all be independant and so more responsible and safe .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van Grall)
    I can't see why drinking and attending parties is such an important thing to some people. I mean, drinking is actually quite boring after awhile. It's your friends who make those parties fun. I don't think that people are missing out that much if they don't drink. But if you feel so, can't you try it with your friends and see if you like it?

And I'm not saying this because I'm bitter that I'm not there drinking every weekend or doing something really stupid just because I'm a teenager. I have been drinking rather often in the past. First few months were fun because it was really new to me. But then it started to get boring. Same things happened, people started to act like idiots (talking all the time about their weekends, doing extremely idiotic things when drunk etc.) and their goal wasn't to have fun with their friends. Their goal was to do stupid things, cry the whole evening, shag every guy they liked and then blame the alcohol.

Not everyone are like this. Some have really good time with their friends when they are drinking. But sadly I'm not the only one who thinks that after awhile it isn't that fun. What I mean is that alcohol doesn't automatically make everything better and you can have more fun when you are sober (okay, this sounds a bit pathetic, I know :rolleyes:). And if you are 19, you are still very young! You have plenty of time to meet girls, so you haven't missed out anything. I find it sad that there are many teenagers who want to be in a relationship just for the sake of it. Not because they really like the person they are dating.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't all have to happen when you're a teenager hun, people do things at different times, you don't have to follow the crowd and be the same. You ahve plenty of time to do these things, it doesn't matter that they didn't happen in your teens. You enjoyed your teens for different reasons, reasons that many who did the things you listed like getting drunk etc may feel they missed out on

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.