Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just applied for a shop floor assistant, which im guessing is like the bottom of the bottom.

Just wondered what the progression is like in ASDA? As to how long it takes for somebody to be promoted, and as to what the highest level you can get realistically is?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Just applied for a shop floor assistant, which im guessing is like the bottom of the bottom.

Just wondered what the progression is like in ASDA? As to how long it takes for somebody to be promoted, and as to what the highest level you can get realistically is?

Thanks.
    Not sure about ASDA but I know a bit about food retailing in general. You can be promoted pretty quickly if you work hard enough, are flexible and keen to improve your store. In terms of glass celings, there are many, many store managers (earning between 40k-90k) who started off whacking out on the shop-floor as an assitant. Granted graduates can progress faster and higher but there are numerous middle and senior managers who started off as a sales assistants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    Not sure about ASDA but I know a bit about food retailing in general. You can be promoted pretty quickly if you work hard enough, are flexible and keen to improve your store. In terms of glass celings, there are many, many store managers (earning between 40k-90k) who started off whacking out on the shop-floor as an assitant. Granted graduates can progress faster and higher but there are numerous middle and senior managers who started off as a sales assistants.
    Thanks for the reply. That's the kind of thing I was thinking. I won't have a degree. However, im willing to put the work in and work overtime etc... I've also got good A Levels, as in ABB, so hopefully that might help aswell.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest from experience you'll be lucky to get the job with ASDA....Was this position advertised online? If so I really wouldn't hold your breath.....

My local ASDA has permanent jobs advertised for everything throughout the store, I applied and got invited to a group interview where we had to build things with balloons - and that was the last I ever heard of it. They told us at the very end of the meeting that there weren't any actually jobs available but that they would just keep us on file for 6 months 'incase something comes up' that was a year ago now.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    To be honest from experience you'll be lucky to get the job with ASDA....Was this position advertised online? If so I really wouldn't hold your breath.....

My local ASDA has permanent jobs advertised for everything throughout the store, I applied and got invited to a group interview where we had to build things with balloons - and that was the last I ever heard of it. They told us at the very end of the meeting that there weren't any actually jobs available but that they would just keep us on file for 6 months 'incase something comes up' that was a year ago now.....
    Hmm. I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Suck and **** are key words for your progression, mate. Just bend over and start getting ass introduced.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ Ahahaha. Hilarious...

Applied for one position, all I got back was "application not successful." No explanation why.

Gonna apply for another one tonight.

ReputationRep:
    my feedback from my ASDA rejection was that my level of qualification was too high. I'd only done GCSE's by this point..

Thanks.
    In order to progress you gotta kiss arse, basically!!! Tbh I wouldn't bother, look elsewhere, where there are ACTUAL routes to progress nicely, and be paid a reasonable salary. (Oh and also treated with R E S P E C T?!)

(Original post by juliewho)
    my feedback from my ASDA rejection was that my level of qualification was too high. I'd only done GCSE's by this point..
    WTF, seriously?? . . .

In order to progress you gotta kiss arse, basically!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    In order to progress you gotta kiss arse, basically!!! Tbh I wouldn't bother, look elsewhere, where there are ACTUAL routes to progress nicely, and be paid a reasonable salary. (Oh and also treated with R E S P E C T?!)

WTF, seriously?? . . .

In order to progress you gotta kiss arse, basically!!!
    Seriously, and my mum has 30 years worth of retail experience in supermarkets and bakeries and got rejected after interview - they took on two eighteen year olds instead

ReputationRep:
    What_the_f*ck.

Applied for 3 more positions. All "application not successful" and no reason. What the hell man. I've got fantastic qualifications, and i've seem some of the tards that work at my local ASDA, how on earth can they reject me? What_the_f*ck. Do i need to have a disability or be of a different ethnic origin to get in or something?

ReputationRep:
    Just a further update. Had an email from them today saying that my assessment is saved for 6 months or something, so that therefore I can't apply for another position for atleast 6 months or something like that?

What_the_f*ck!

ReputationRep:
    Just a further update. Had an email from them today saying that my assessment is saved for 6 months or something, so that therefore I can't apply for another position for atleast 6 months or something like that?

What_the_f*ck!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had the same problem, but not with ASDA but with several other retailers I've applied for jobs at. The only reason I've never applied for ASDA is because they never seem to have any vacancies when I look :erm:

It's a crappy job market, but just hold in there. I'm trying to get into retail as well and it's so hard . I think all you can really do is keep trying at different places. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I work at ASDA and it's pretty bad. The work is boring and monotonous which is to be expected. I took the job up during my gap year as a means to earn some money - the pay is good.

What I've noticed is that all the managers are absolute c**ts. They treat the workers like crap and they have their favourites - coincidentally the male managers favourites are usually 18-20 year old females... They walk around thinking they are the don, when really I just want to say "mate, stop acting like you're the don, you work in Asda!! Get a grip!"

Will be glad when the new uni term comes so I can leave and never go back! haha

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from ASDA on the same day I applied too. Not gonna lie, it is quite demoralising

ReputationRep:

What_the_f*ck!
    Can I just ask what your qualifications are like? You said to me earlier that you wouldnt have a degree but do you have A levels? If you do have A levels it might be worth looking at trainee manager schemes, I know both Tesco and Sainsbury's offers them, I wonder if others do too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humpdebump17)
    I got rejected from ASDA on the same day I applied too. Not gonna lie, it is quite demoralising
    same for me mate. applied today at about 5 ish and just checked it and it says application unsuccessful. how they can say no so early is amazing but i wouldnt be surprised if its age related or the days I can do.

Its put a bit of a downer on my day now though

ReputationRep:
    I applied and after few hours I got Application Not Successful !
    Thats just epic, they didnt even explain why ? WTF?

I think when I was applying for it I should instead of English Ethnic choose African ?
    I not racist, they are !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitedude)
    I applied and after few hours I got Application Not Successful !
    Thats just epic, they didnt even explain why ? WTF?

I think when I was applying for it I should instead of English Ethnic choose African ?
    I not racist, they are !
    Not racist either, but that will probably help lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.