Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,guys.I've been reading the previous discussions in the forum,but they were mainly about MBAs.I'd like to ask people who've studied at some of the universities about your opinion and also the others for their perspective.
    I had considered Esade,CBS and SSE too,but Esade would be pricey,SSE requires Swedish and RSM>CBS.
    So for Mainland Europe and even including the UK,my best options are RSM and Bocconi.Which is better for networking and which gives you chance to learn more.
    Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    I was you one year ago, I also had to choose between RSM and Bocconi (and some others, but my main were those two).
    I choose Bocconi finally and wouldn't change.

I think that from a reputation point of view Bocconi could be better, especially at graduate level. However that is just my impression from this forum and some research. RSM is ranked higher in the FT but that doesn't mean anything, I believe.
    RSM seems to be more European, more organized an all. But in my opinion the city is awful, and Milan is more "interesting".

However both are good, and if you are good at what you're studying you will succeed in both.

ReputationRep:
    Id say its up to you mate
    For bachelor level, RSM=Bocconi...maybe Bocconi is slighlty better as I presume its bachelor taught in english is getting more famous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbiee)
    I was you one year ago, I also had to choose between RSM and Bocconi (and some others, but my main were those two).
    I choose Bocconi finally and wouldn't change.

I think that from a reputation point of view Bocconi could be better, especially at graduate level. However that is just my impression from this forum and some research. RSM is ranked higher in the FT but that doesn't mean anything, I believe.
    RSM seems to be more European, more organized an all. But in my opinion the city is awful, and Milan is more "interesting".

However both are good, and if you are good at what you're studying you will succeed in both.
    Hey,Robbiee,I've actually read most of your posts around the forum throughout my whole university research and they've been quite useful.
    You wrote a few days ago that the BIEMF and the Economia Aziendale actually have the same books in different languages,so I guess it's not correct at all saying that BIEMF is easier.
    What other arguments I've read against Bocconi is that it's rich kid school(LSE is rich kid school too,but this doesn't make it less good) where bribes and cheating at exams are very common.Also that the program isn't very challenging.How would you comment on that?I don't know how bright of a student are you,but do people find the BIEMF demanding enough?Is it full of ambitious people to network with or the spoiled unmotivated brats are the majority?What are your impressions on those things?
    Also probably you've researched that too so you can answer-in the 3rd year exchange program,do you have to pay the tax at the host uni?Because at RSM you pay only 1700 euro at their uni but you can go study at Wharton if you beat the competition for the spot.
    Looking at college as a pure investment,Bocconi is undoubtefully a great one-I believe I will get the scholarship,giving me free accomodation in Milan!! + free tax so all I'll be investing in is my time.On the other side RSM is not that expensive too,if I earn enough money in my gap year and decide it's more worth it,I can buy a car,rent an apartment in Amsterdam and go with the car everyday.Or get a free student train card and travel Amsterdam-Rotterdam for free during weekdays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TonyTrouble)
    Hey,Robbiee,I've actually read most of your posts around the forum throughout my whole university research and they've been quite useful.
    You wrote a few days ago that the BIEMF and the Economia Aziendale actually have the same books in different languages,so I guess it's not correct at all saying that BIEMF is easier.
    What other arguments I've read against Bocconi is that it's rich kid school(LSE is rich kid school too,but this doesn't make it less good) where bribes and cheating at exams are very common.Also that the program isn't very challenging.How would you comment on that?I don't know how bright of a student are you,but do people find the BIEMF demanding enough?Is it full of ambitious people to network with or the spoiled unmotivated brats are the majority?What are your impressions on those things?
    Also probably you've researched that too so you can answer-in the 3rd year exchange program,do you have to pay the tax at the host uni?Because at RSM you pay only 1700 euro at their uni but you can go study at Wharton if you beat the competition for the spot.
    Looking at college as a pure investment,Bocconi is undoubtefully a great one-I believe I will get the scholarship,giving me free accomodation in Milan!! + free tax so all I'll be investing in is my time.On the other side RSM is not that expensive too,if I earn enough money in my gap year and decide it's more worth it,I can buy a car,rent an apartment in Amsterdam and go with the car everyday.Or get a free student train card and travel Amsterdam-Rotterdam for free during weekdays...
    Glad to be helpful.

Let's say that the common thing is saying that we study the same things, but we get higher grades. I cannot comment on that since I am only a first year, but hey, good enough for me!
    it is a rich kid schools, and you will see that. I mean forget the typical UK experience.but I don't agree at all on bribery and all of that.
    If they are here, it's because they deserve it. Bocconi isn't a typical italian Uni.

Having said that, I can see that there are some internationals that don't seem to care that much about what they are studying. I think it's because they found it easy to enter, having good grades and being international, and think that by paying they will get through.
    Let me tell you, these people are not going to go far. I know some of them still have done no exam. If they finish the 3 year, they will finish with a rubbish grade.
    If you want to succeed here, you have to be serious. The italians here are tremendously serious, because they already had to work hard to get in, and know what's it like.
    And for cheating I can say that the only exam I've heard cheating is Maths (because it's the hardest, ahha). But no, otherwise cheating is severely punished here.

I find BIEMF demanding, however it's not hard. I believe it's exactly how a course should be; demanding enough to catch your attention, but not too much that it makes you go crazy. You will go crazy if you don't follow, though.

I am not quite sure about the fee-paying exchange. So far I understood that you can have both; the Bocconi exchange; where you don't pay tuition to the other uni, and the "Free-mover" exchange, where you do. However I am not prepared to answer this question fully, I'm sorry.

Also Bocconi is a lot more expensive than RSM. But if you get the scholarship, that's good. let me just tell you that if they will give you free accomodation, you will probably end up at Arcobaleno residence, which is 30 min from Milan/Bocconi, and not ideal. I guess it's okay if you have low standards. The best for you would be have free tuition and get an appartment in Milan or apply for the other Bocconi residences at reduced price.

However bear in mind that I am talking from a Bocconi point of view and cannot give you insight on RSM. You should find someone that goes there, because my views will of course be biased. Let's say Rotterdam seems to be more student and budget-friendly, but I could never live there. But that's subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbiee)

Having said that, I can see that there are some internationals that don't seem to care that much about what they are studying. I think it's because they found it easy to enter, having good grades and being international, and think that by paying they will get through.
    Let me tell you, these people are not going to go far. I know some of them still have done no exam
    True.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you robbiee and DiCaprio for your answers.Robbiee,could you ask some of the staff to explain you about the study abroad programs?
    At the moment I don't have high standart of living,so whatever accomodation they give me for free,I'd take it.However,if I do prosper financially in the following year before university,might reconsider.
    And about the Netherlands,as I told you-if you can afford it you can get a car and an apartment in Amsterdam and travel near an hour each way to Rotterdam for classes.I've heard Amsterdam doesn't rank amongst the most boring cities known to humankind
    I'm inclined to Bocconi at the moment.Talk to me about the models a little bit to get psyched Will have to master Italian for the bella donnas too...

ReputationRep:
    Oh missed to ask,don't know if you're actually interested in football but are there a lot of lower league teams in Milano in which you can play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TonyTrouble)
    Thank you robbiee and DiCaprio for your answers.Robbiee,could you ask some of the staff to explain you about the study abroad programs?
    At the moment I don't have high standart of living,so whatever accomodation they give me for free,I'd take it.However,if I do prosper financially in the following year before university,might reconsider.
    And about the Netherlands,as I told you-if you can afford it you can get a car and an apartment in Amsterdam and travel near an hour each way to Rotterdam for classes.I've heard Amsterdam doesn't rank amongst the most boring cities known to humankind
    I'm inclined to Bocconi at the moment.Talk to me about the models a little bit to get psyched Will have to master Italian for the bella donnas too...
    When I will know about abroad programs I will tell you!
    I'm sure Amsterdam is exciting and all, however you have to consider having an apartment 1h from you uni. That would mean that if you have a class at 08.40 and the other one starts at 17.30 you have to stay on campus all day. But that is a personal decision, no one can say but you.

For the football, there are possibilities to play inside the uni, not sure what you mean by smaller leagues!

And what do you mean about the models? as in girls models? when you're in Milan you will notice that during Fashion Week it will be full of models in the very centre of town, in exclusive clubs and in the fashion district, where they have castings and all. But that only happens during fashion week! If you didn't mean that kind of models, I feel stupid, ahah!

ReputationRep:
    But of course..female models No homo Around fashion weeks it must be paradise,for that I'm sure,but in the other time,there aren't much models?Because some girls are probably working for like a few months in Milan,not only coming for the catwalk shows.
    By lower league football teams I mean football teams in Division C let's say,don't know if I'll make it at AC Milan first team hah

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm sure that there are models working in Milan, but you do not see them on the road as you see them during fashion week. Also I don't know what your type of girl is, but the models you see in Milan are the 2 meters anorexic girls with the dying look that you see on catwalks, do not imagine Victoria's Secret's models ahah. I wouldn't call it paradise, it's just impressive to see these giraffes, that at the end look all the same.
    but then again, that should be the last reason in choosing uni.

And for football league I suggest that you forget about it, I don't think you will have much time in doing that! And I don't know anyone playing for them, I suppose it's very unlikely to get in one (I don't care about football, but I'm not aware of any of these teams you are talking about).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.