Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone every had to apply for a deadline extension for any reason other than being sick or having a relative pass away? If so was the extension granted?

My dog died yesterday (12 yrs old). The other dog (her sister) collapsed a few hours later and spent the night at the vet. They've since had us take her home today and she's not getting any better really. Waiting to hear back about test results. Third dog cried and whined all night since the other two weren't around.

Massively bad timing as I have a huge report due tomorrow by 5pm that I was going to spend all day yesterday and today doing but have ended up with little time to focus on that. I live at home...

Should I ask for an extension? Is this a totally laughable reason? Or just accept that I'll hand it in late.

I am working on it now, so not just letting it sit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicforsanity)
    Has anyone every had to apply for a deadline extension for any reason other than being sick or having a relative pass away? If so was the extension granted?

My dog died yesterday (12 yrs old). The other dog (her sister) collapsed a few hours later and spent the night at the vet. They've since had us take her home today and she's not getting any better really. Waiting to hear back about test results. Third dog cried and whined all night since the other two weren't around.

Massively bad timing as I have a huge report due tomorrow by 5pm that I was going to spend all day yesterday and today doing but have ended up with little time to focus on that. I live at home...

Should I ask for an extension? Is this a totally laughable reason? Or just accept that I'll hand it in late.

I am working on it now, so not just letting it sit...
    Applying for an extension the day before the deadline is always risky, and may be rejected. I don't know whether there is any way of applying retrospectively, but then that may be seen as making excuses for a poor piece of work.

Check to see what the consequences are of handing in work late. Even though you have a genuine reason, from the university's point of view it could sound fabricated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Applying for an extension the day before the deadline is always risky, and may be rejected. I don't know whether there is any way of applying retrospectively, but then that may be seen as making excuses for a poor piece of work.

Check to see what the consequences are of handing in work late. Even though you have a genuine reason, from the university's point of view it could sound fabricated.
    We lose five percent for every day it is late. I guess I'll just try to get as much as possible done overnight. If I can't finish it then I can't finish it.

Thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicforsanity)
    We lose five percent for every day it is late. I guess I'll just try to get as much as possible done overnight. If I can't finish it then I can't finish it.

Thanks for replying.
    That's not bad, my university is a lot more strict.

Just try your best with the time you have.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say my friends convinced me to explain the situation to my lecturer as I had nothing to lose and he granted me an extra couple of days to get my head together. Lucky too as my other dog had to be put down on Friday due to multiple organ failure. I can only guess that she knew her sister was gone since she's never had any other health issue before.

Thanks for your advice though

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.