Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

hey, im in year 11 and choosing my a level options
    im hoping to get into oxford, and was just wondering which would look better as an a level: chemistry or philosophy and ethics?

iv already chosen history, english literature and classical civilisation.

im on an a* in both of them, but i tend to prefer and find the re one easier. however, i'm a bit worried that if i chose philosophy and ethics then all of my choices are all essay subjects. would that matter too much?

I've a friend who does all three of your chosen subjects, her fourth is german. It's not too uncommon for her to spend all weekend working her arse off on essays. I'd personally pick chemistry, because it isnt an essay subject, so gives you a bit of variety.

Hi, well I do both of those so I should be able to help Chemistry is a LOT less work intensive, i spend maybe a quarter of the time on chem that i do on rs. But i wouldn't really say chem is much harder than rs, a level rs is nothing like gcse, it's ridiculously hard and once you get the concepts in chemistry its not too bad. Having said that, although i do enjoy chemistry, i enjoy rs even more It's a really interesting course. I do History aswell, so that's two essay subjects and two science subjects so its not quite as bad as doing four essay subjects. I find the essays manageable but they do take up a lot more time than my science subjects. I find rs essays are easier to write than history ones though, mainly because my history teacher is crap. I don't really know anyone doing four, so i can't really tell you how bad it is, but i just know i wouldn't want to do another essay subject. Basically, both subjects are really good. RS compliments your other subjects and is really interesting and really helps with essay writing, but chem is a nice contrast and can be a bit of fun. What do you want to study at uni?

I'm doing RS in a year, I don't find it too hard really, but we've already done some stuff from it in Philosophy. It's really interesting though Not done any chemistry so can't offer any opinion on it.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.