Turn on thread page Beta

Would you recommend your driving instructor? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you recommend your last driving instructor?
    Yes, without reservation - passed my test
    60.00%
    Yes, with reservations - passed my test
    13.85%
    Yes, failed my test
    3.08%
    No, passed my test
    10.77%
    No, failed my test
    3.08%
    No, I would specifically recommend against
    9.23%

ReputationRep:
    A simple question:

Would you recommend your driving instructor? If you've had multiple instructors, please consider the last one only. It would also be useful to know where you found the instructor that you are recommending or otherwise.

Please vote...

Thanks

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    A simple question:

Would you recommend your driving instructor? Please vote...

Thanks

Emma
    Is there supposed to be a poll?

But anyway yeah would definitely recommend mine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he was awesome.

£16 an hour = win!

It was over two years ago now, but I recommended my instructor to a few people. He was excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. when my best friend decided she hated her first driving instructor i gave recommended mine. It got me a 20% discount

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely

ReputationRep:
    My second one - yes. Recomended him to a few friends.

My first - not at all.

ReputationRep:
    No.

His girlfriend used to call him up crying during every single one of my lessons...at one point I almost crashed because he was too busy trying to console her over the phone...kept telling me things like "I was kicked out of the house this weekend" and asked me really weird questions about my homelife.

So, that being said - NO.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, the poll was late going up - there now...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, without a doubt! And I have done, my friends who get lessons with her think she's great too! So glad someone recommended her to me in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    My first one - no. She was ****. Kept telling me I wasn't ready for my test, but then when I asked why and what I could do to become ready she just said airly 'oh, more lessons should do it...'

My second one - until he was sent to jail for having sex with a minor (actually not kidding here) then I actually thought he was a good instructor. Bit weird of a person though, kept being too flattering and wanted to talk too much about non-driving stuff. But even though he did a good job at teaching me to drive and got me through my test, no.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    A simple question:

Would you recommend your driving instructor? If you've had multiple instructors, please consider the last one only. It would also be useful to know where you found the instructor that you are recommending or otherwise.

Please vote...

Thanks

Emma
    Id recommend the one i had. He was a pretty good instructor.
    Its a shame that the 1st one i hadwas so useless though.

ReputationRep:
    The one I had to give me a few hours of a refresher was alright... needed it though I'd been driving for almost 8 years then but needed to take a UK Driver's License test as licenses from USA didn't automatically convert.

I had a license from Singapore that could convert, but it also meant I had to give up that license which I wasn't willing to.

The instructor I had for 8 lessons just to make sure I didn't drive on the wrong side of the road, use the roundabouts properly and get rid of some bad habits.

Was quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure actually. She was alright but she talked far too much about her personal life and her other pupils (I wonder what she says about me?) and I did have 3 tests before I passed! Of course that was probably just me but I feel she didn't really help me enough inbetween the tests, I only had a couple of lessons between tests as she said I didn't need anymore...but I still failed a few times :rolleyes: I've heard a lot worse about other people's driving instructors though so I guess I was lucky. She's a nice person and quite encouraging and I've recently met one of her current pupils who told me she had asked about me (2/3 years later). Oh and I had a small crash in her car and she didn't get angry lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would definitely recommend my instructor..

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. My first one was a miserable git, I stopped learning with him after about 5 lessons and went to a driving instructor a friend recommended, and was definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    i voted for option #1: 'Yes, without reservation - passed my test'. even though it was a fair few years ago (lessons started november 2006 and passed my test april 2007) i still remember the lessons fondly as the lady ended up being pretty much the only friend i had made when i was in birmingham for undergraduate study

i was taught by the mother of one of my roommates. reasons that influenced my decision to learn with her:
    1: i got to learn in a mini (WITH STRIPES ON THE BONNET!)..........and not having much knowledge of cars at the time, i was instantly impressed by this ;D
    2: mates rates. instead of £22 an hour i was paying £11 an hour, because i pretty much singlehandedly kept my roommate/instructor's daughter alive with my cooking.

YO, YO, YO.

ReputationRep:
    My driving instructor is very calm and relaxed but is very knowledgeable and a great driver and he used to be an ex-copper. He has confidence in the students and lets them carry on and drive without any fuss or telling them what to do but he keeps an eye on you to make sure you don't make any mistakes or tell you if your making a mistake but he does not shout or yell if you do something wrong he will tell you with great care and hope you have learnt from the mistake so its basically independent driving and it feels like im a taxi taking someone to a destination which boosts my confidence for the real test cause it will feel like an ordinary lesson to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but he was my dad so I'm kinda biased.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I liked mine. My best friend and I saw her advert in a cafe and she phoned her pretending to be my mum and booked me a lesson! I had been moaning that I really wanted to pass my test but had never gotten round to it so she took the initiative for me! I had had lots of instructors before (I think 8 in total!) in 6 years (not continuously) and I told her that I lacked confidence and needed someone that was patient but also would fire a rocket up my arse when I needed it, because I have a tendency to avoid things that I find difficult!

She was very flexible when I had to rearrange (I was on placement in another city and would come back at the weekends for my lessons) and didn't hold me back from going for my test when I felt ready.

She did talk too much sometimes and I could feel myself tuning her out, but all in all i'm really glad I stuck with her.

Previous driving instructors:

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Was a good teacher but changed driving schools and wasn't fully qualified so sometimes wasn't available when he'd failed his teaching exams thingies.

2. Very odd man who would make me say "dinky dink" whenever I changed gear. Insisted on me going back to neutral between gear changes and also shouted at me. (also at uni)

3. Cockney geezer, spent all of the lesson telling me I was rubbish and that I wouldn't ever be a very good driver (at home in London)

4. Would turn up late and tell me he had gotten lost. Once maybe but 3 times? He also forgot to turn up completely so that was that. (London again)

5. First female instructor, really nice but I was juggling exams and ended up in hospital which make me put driving on a back burner (Uni)

6. Idiotic rastafarian man who insisted on judging my life choices because as we were both black we apparently had some sort of brother/sisterhood thing. Apparently my degree was making me a slave to drug companies and if I came to a seminar run by some hippy selling weeds I could help cure diabetes. He turned up 30 mins late for one of my lessons and said I had to run a girl home. Told him I wasn't comfortable with that and he turned on me and said I was making him late. I insisted the girl drove back and she then wanted to stop at the shops for a drink. Whilst she was in the shop he said "you are very unprofessional and need to learn how to conduct yourself." I told him to get knotted, got out of the car and walked home. He then pestered me for 3 weeks. (Uni)

7. Just before my test I had two driving instructors, one in the city where i was on placement for during the week, and my regular one for at the weekends. My placement one was very good, but it was quite confusing driving two very different cars. Diesel vs Petrol, brand new car vs older. Good experience though.

8. My last driving instructor! This is why I passed first time. I always got to a certain point with my driving where i was good, but not test ready so I had had lots of driving practice. I just needed someone who wasn't crazy and then I stuck with it!

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.