Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you recommend your driving instructor? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you recommend your last driving instructor?
    Yes, without reservation - passed my test
    60.00%
    Yes, with reservations - passed my test
    13.85%
    Yes, failed my test
    3.08%
    No, passed my test
    10.77%
    No, failed my test
    3.08%
    No, I would specifically recommend against
    9.23%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Definitely. Great teacher, reliable and friendly. She did lessons in her car or your car at half price. She was recommended to me when a friend of my dad asked me how my driving lessons were going. I said that the instructor I was with was turning up late, ending lessons early, talking on the phone while I was driving and I just generally didn't enjoy lessons with him and was thinking I shouldn't have bothered changing from my first instructor. She got my dad's friend's 2 sons through their tests so he gave me her number. Can't rate her highly enough, I drove 5 different cars as a learner so I was in a bit of a mess with manoeuvures when I started lessons with her with reference points etc. If it wasn't for her I'd probably still be desperately trying to pass my test.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. As long as you're not PC.

Just passed today.

He was/is rude, racist, sexist and made inappropriate comments about scantily dressed girls.

We got along like a house on fire. We abused eachother constantly and had arguements about nothing at all.

Can't wait for Pass Plus with that crazy git

ReputationRep:
    I failed my first test - haven't passed since because I moved away to uni - and I don't think I'll use the same instructor again when I go back to driving.

It took me about 18 months before he let me take my test; partly because I wasn't very confident and needed lots of practice, and partly because he never let me progress that much (I spent the first 6ish weeks just doing left and right turns.) Plus, he used to be late/finish early/have toilet breaks/answer his phone during my lessons. Seems a little unprofessional now I think about it.
    So yeah, wouldn't recommend.

ReputationRep:
    No Way! he was ok at the beginning then his creepy jokes made me really uncomfortable after a while as when i passed my test he said to my friend he didnt wana hug me incase he got a boner! CREEP! so glad i dont have to see him EVER AGAIN. I didnt change instructer because he had the cheapest rates and i had already booked my test.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, i'd reccomend my bike instructor(Rob Reed).

He was very forgiving considering he had a 100% pass rate before he met me and after about 3 fails i dragged it down a bit...

Passed eventually then ran into him at the bike show at NEC afterwards. He's quite cool...

ReputationRep:
    No, he took me for a ride. Pun intended. Human tomtom syndrome :P

Teenagers trying to learn how to drive all already nervous enough, ontop of that they shouldn't have to be worrying that their instructor is wasting their time and squeezing them for money.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not at all. He was horrible and he was a rip off. 22pound an hour.
    My first instructor I would. He was cheap and had a higher pass rate. However, due to his accident he's no longer instructing

ReputationRep:
    I would, without a doubt. My instructor was fantastic - I only had 6 lessons, basically just to ensure I was driving without any nasty little habits and to make sure I could do all the maneouvres correctly. He definitely wasn't out to just make as much money out of me as possible, was very friendly and a really calming influence to have in the car and really seemed to enjoy his job, which always helps!

I actually went to him because he'd taught a few of my friends, but it then turned out he was an old friend of my grandad

I've recommended him to everyone I've spoken to about driving lessons and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ? 100% 1st time pass rate at the difficult Leeds test centres, and a cracking little car (Fabia vRS with more power than it was supposed to have). I booked my test after 7 lessons and passed 1st time after just 12.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.