Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ejaculating lowers strength/ power.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    So you're saying the sample size was not big enough? The results did reach significance, and variability is of course considered in those statistics. The problem is more the lack of a decent control to compare with, for me.
    The sample size and most certainly control measures make it pretty redundant research imo

ReputationRep:
    I always rub one out the night before I lift heavy. Always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    hm? i'm intrigued... please elaborate
    Fingers his bumbum basically

ReputationRep:
    In this study masturbation was found to decrease testosterone. It is worth considering that it is difficult to have an effective control, however.

I hope that answers your question.
    Did you read the study, or just the abstract?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently u should sexually stimulate yourself before exercise but only ejaculate afterwards
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    The sample size and most certainly control measures make it pretty redundant research imo
    But if the difference was so great to reach significance despite the sample size, it should not matter. The study concluded that the results were less than 5% likely to have appeared from chance. The conditions under which these were obtained, on the other hand, is up for debate.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SMed)
    Did you read the study, or just the abstract?
    I'm really don't care enough about this to turn on the VPN and get the paper and read it etc. Maybe that is bad TSR etiquette of me (i think using evidence i the first place is probably bad etiquette, based on what i read on here!).

Feel free to read it and tell me in what ways it is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Not my views but a well known 'myth' which I'm sure most of you have heard about. Basically, I've heard it many times before that if a male ejaculates his man juice it lowers his testosterone levels and thus affects his strength and power. I want to know what other TSR members views are on this topic. In my personal 'trial' of refraining for almost 4 weeks I have to admit my strength levels have rocketed and it's like being on steds! nevertheless, I want to know what you guys think?
    I initially thought it was cobblers, though have come to think there may be more than a grain of salts worth of truth to it.

ReputationRep:
    Placebo

Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Surely testosterone levels are going to be highest during the production of sperm? So if anything, one should ejaculate about 20 mins before a workout...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really don't care enough about this to turn on the VPN and get the paper and read it etc. Maybe that is bad TSR etiquette of me (i think using evidence i the first place is probably bad etiquette, based on what i read on here!).

I will read it, sounds interesting. But what is statistically significant is not always clinically significant. They didn't put any data in the abstract so it's impossible to know.

I'll have a look later; I've got a journal club coming up, maybe I should pick this one to cover.

ReputationRep:
    Not my views but a well known 'myth' which I'm sure most of you have heard about. Basically, I've heard it many times before that if a male ejaculates his man juice it lowers his testosterone levels and thus affects his strength and power. I want to know what other TSR members views are on this topic. In my personal 'trial' of refraining for almost 4 weeks I have to admit my strength levels have rocketed and it's like being on steds! nevertheless, I want to know what you guys think?
    Yes but sometimes when feel like you have over level energy at yr body is better to do that and to go at training, as changing you level to normal

ReputationRep:

What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaah! Wait, that's why I always feel tired and weak?

ReputationRep:
    Im sure the increase in strength is due to training, not refraining from a ****.
    If you want to be in the zone just worked up over something else rather than not having a ****, unless its a great focal point for guys

ReputationRep:
    What?

Whacking one off under 5 minutes doesn't do any harm unless you strain yourself...lol

Sex is a workout for sports guys or any guy with a good degree fo stamina and going for a while makes it more likely you will strain yourself. Thats why they say "dont shag your missus before a match".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SMed)
    What do you mean?
    As in, no one ever uses actual evidence (with some rare exceptions) so i feel i have broken some unwritten rule.

ReputationRep:
    As in, no one ever uses actual evidence (with some rare exceptions) so i feel i have broken some unwritten rule.
    It is very much the opposite for the fitness regulars here. I just rarely stray into the main fitness forum anymore because of all the broscience and stupidity, I got tired of it. I still venture in from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    The reason for that is that most peer reviewed stuff studies either actual science that has nothing to do with fitness, or total crap like how much whacking off decreases test, which still has nothing to do with fitness because it's total crap.

Most people who give advice use some form of evidence, but it's anecdotal because that's where all the good knowledge is.

ReputationRep:
    Scientifically, and counter intuitively, testosterone levels increase after masturbating

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.