Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever consider the street charitable jobs? Watch

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, you'll be making the same assumptions about anyone who you ask to sign up as if you thought they did charity stuff you wouldn't be asking :rolleyes:
    Not really, just cos you do some charity things doesn't mean you don't want to do more! And by asking people I'm giving them that option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Most of the money raised goes on your wages and other admin costs - I can't remember, but people need to sign up for 3 or 4 months for any of it to go to the charity. The first few months does not benefit them. So if you actually wanted to raise money for charity you'd do something more worthwhile that is more likely to benefit them. You don't; you just want to eearn money yourself whilst kidding yourself its ok.
    Welcome to the world of fundraising.

Growing supporters at this level will always be expensive for charities (gennerally a ROI of about £1.80 for every £1 spent). All forms of direct marketing achieve similar results.

It's all about building up your supporter base, and then using them for other things and who knows they may even become a major donor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    What I mean are the jobs where you are on the street in the charity uniform looking for people to donate or sign up. I'm thinking of taking one of these jobs but I know im going to annoy a lot of people in the high street and it might be a little embarrasing.
    annoying, psuedo-charitable bell-ends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Couldn't do, same as I couldn't do a call centre job. I get annoyed by the people who do those jobs and I don't ever see myself as the pushy salesperson.

And aye, it might be for charity, but if folk want to donate they will (and probably do).
    Not everyone who works in a call centre is a bad person.

I am, I'm great at it & I take great pleasure in disrupting people's lives, but there are some genuinely lovely people where I work who you could never be annoyed at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Yup, I've got an interview for one so fingers crossed! Not only is money good, but I'd feel good knowing I was helping people rather than an evil corporation! Plus after doing jailbreak I'm pretty used to people rejecting me even when it's for a good cause
    Some charities are actual the most evil.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ohm)
    Some charities are actual the most evil.
    That's why you chose your charity carefully!

ReputationRep:
    lulz my self - esteem would go down the drain, imagine getting blanked so many times during the day :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    For a short-term job, yes, I would.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Heyy are you talking about Gift fundraising? I have an interview today, just wondering if you got/took the job x
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    Heyy are you talking about Gift fundraising? I have an interview today, just wondering if you got/took the job x
    Yeah I am One of my other friends had interview today as well! I can't have an interview till I get back to Glasgow (on home for hols atm) but fingers crossed they'll still want to interview me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am One of my other friends had interview today as well! I can't have an interview till I get back to Glasgow (on home for hols atm) but fingers crossed they'll still want to interview me!
    Sounds like they're looking for a lot of people so fingers crossed
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Sounds like they're looking for a lot of people so fingers crossed
    How did you find the interview?

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the interview?
    It was really laid back, basically just a group chat, they just want to know you can communicate effectively and engage people. It was pretty good :cool:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It was really laid back, basically just a group chat, they just want to know you can communicate effectively and engage people. It was pretty good :cool:
    It would be fantastic if we both managed to get a job Plus I'm hopeful my flatmate will get one too...because then we'd be able to walk to work together etc.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the job?? I'm thinking about this too and would love to hear some more specifics about how Gift operate, so I can try to apply to the better of the companies that do this stuff.

Cheers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.