Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    did anyone here get rejected for maths from warwick?
    im asking because im not sure i know anyone who did, did warwick just give offers to EVERYONE that applied? :confused:

i ask out of curiosity, so im sorry for those who did.. i just wanted to know the statistics for this year thats all.
    no need to neg me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haly)
    did anyone here get rejected for maths from warwick?
    im asking because im not sure i know anyone who did, did warwick just give offers to EVERYONE that applied? :confused:

i ask out of curiosity, so im sorry for those who did.. i just wanted to know the statistics for this year thats all.
    no need to neg me
    Absolutely not, as fees are going up next year i would imagine the number of applicants has gone up you won't get the figures for applicants to places until next year. I didn't neg reep you by the way.

ReputationRep:
    At the open day they said 16/17 applicants get an offer, and you'd really need to 'screw up' to not get one, if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    They give offers to about 90% of applicants (can't remember the specific number, but it's the vast majority) because the offer is conditional on STEP, and they figure that if you're good enough to get A*AA 1 or A*A*A 2, you're good enough to do their maths course. Plus, nobody really puts a STEP offer as insurance, and if you get a STEP offer from say both Cambridge and Warwick you'll probably firm Cambridge, so people are either going to firm it or decline it, so not everybody who gets an offer will take it up.

ReputationRep:
    Back in 2009, I did. Didn't really care, it was a filler uni because I only had three but resented having to pay the same as someone with five unis so put two extra ones in ... but never did figure it out, because I exceeded their asking grades and other unis said my PS was very good. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    if you get a STEP offer from say both Cambridge and Warwick you'll probably firm Warwick
    I'm not trying to be rude or provocative but why would people decline an offer from Cambridge in favour of Warwick when both places ask for the STEP? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    I'm not trying to be rude or provocative but why would people decline an offer from Cambridge in favour of Warwick when both places ask for the STEP? :confused:
    Oh god! Typo! I mean to say Cambridge! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh god! Typo! I mean to say Cambridge! Thanks
    That's okay - I just thought I must be missing something that everyone else knew about the Warwick course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    That's okay - I just thought I must be missing something that everyone else knew about the Warwick course!
    Oh god no, you just missed the fact that I can't type Oh dear! Thanks for alerting me

ReputationRep:
    They give offers to about 90% of applicants (can't remember the specific number, but it's the vast majority) because the offer is conditional on STEP, and they figure that if you're good enough to get A*AA 1 or A*A*A 2, you're good enough to do their maths course. Plus, nobody really puts a STEP offer as insurance, and if you get a STEP offer from say both Cambridge and Warwick you'll probably firm Cambridge, so people are either going to firm it or decline it, so not everybody who gets an offer will take it up.
    Yeah but the point is that the cambridge STEP offer is far more demanding - I think typically a 1 1 in STEP II and III; whereas Warwick would be happy with a 2 in any STEP paper or a distinction in AEA. Say someone gets a Cambridge offer and puts Warwick as his insurance; if he fails to get two 1s, he'll end up in Warwick (Assuming he gets the appropriate A-Level results). This is quite common amongst Maths applicants.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, I wouldn't say it's that uncommon for Cambridge offer holders to use Warwick as an insurance - Although fair enough, there's probably less people doing it this year than those in previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    Absolutely not, as fees are going up next year i would imagine the number of applicants has gone up you won't get the figures for applicants to places until next year. I didn't neg reep you by the way.
    I fail to see the logic here; the majority of people that would feel a need to rush an application this year besides the usual cohort would be those originally planning to take a year out and this is relatively uncommon for mathematics applicants because it tends to be discouraged by the Universities due to risk of getting "rusty".

For that reason, I'd imagine the difference in the number of applicants this year and those in the last cycle will follow the trend that previous years have i.e. a steadily increasing number of applicants in line with previous years rather than a sharp increase due to people just to beat the fees. Besides this, Warwick's boost in their grade requirements may have put quite a few of those originally intending to apply there, off applying so I don't think things will be too crazy at Warwick.

Although it's obvious that Warwick won't give everyone an offer, they do give out offers to well over 90% of the applicants. Very few people will be unfortunate enough to be rejected and those will mostly be those without valid qualifications upon application or those with a weak academic record and predictions (Warwick say that they try to give anyone with more than BBB predictions an offer).

ReputationRep:
    My mate doing 1st year maths didn't meet his offer in STEP, but go 5 A*s so they let him in anyway

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.