Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi gus,
    I'm in Year 10, and I'm doing all of my Chinese A Level this year. I did the GCSE last year, and got an A* I was told I'd only be doing the Year 12 bit, but I got my timetable today, and I'm put down for all of it :/
    Anyhow, I just wanted ask about the research-based essay. I can't find the list of topics, and I'm worried about the essay form. It says March 2010 on it, can I still use it?
    I'll ask more questions if/when I think of any.
    Thanks in advance
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pompompandapple)
    Hi gus,
    I'm in Year 10, and I'm doing all of my Chinese A Level this year. I did the GCSE last year, and got an A* I was told I'd only be doing the Year 12 bit, but I got my timetable today, and I'm put down for all of it :/
    Anyhow, I just wanted ask about the research-based essay. I can't find the list of topics, and I'm worried about the essay form. It says March 2010 on it, can I still use it?
    I'll ask more questions if/when I think of any.
    Thanks in advance
    xx
    Heyy,
    wow doing the chinese A level in year 10? I wished my chinese school was better organised with this!
    Research essay is on the actual edexcel website...

taken from the actual website:

SECTION D: RESEARCH-BASED ESSAY
    4. Write an essay in Chinese of 250–500 characters on ONE of the following 14 topics from
    the plan you have prepared.
    z Make sure to give your essay an appropriate title
    z Please hand in your essay plan with your answer. The essay plan should not exceed 100
    characters
    z Give a list of sources you have used (while it is not absolutely necessary to cite additional
    sources when writing the literary texts, it is essential to list any sources used in the case
    of topics)
    MODERN CHINESE HISTORY (20TH
    CENTURY) 1911-1976
    1. Warlords in China
    2. The New Cultural Movement (1915-1924)
    3. The relationship between the Nationalist and Communist Parties of China (1921-1949)
    4. The Great Leap Forward (1958)
    5. The Cultural Revolution (1966-76)
    GEOGRAPHY OF CHINA
    6. The development of ONE of the following cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong
    Kong or Taipei) in terms of environment, economy or social issues
    SOCIETY
    7. Han nationality traditions: explaining and analysing the significance of the activities
    associated with ONE festival OR custom
    8. Women’s issues (1911 to the present)
    9. Youth issues OR generation gap issues in modern China
    LITERARY TEXTS – FILMS
    10. Nan Hai 13 (Mad Phoenix) – Candidates may use any of the following versions:
    Film (leading actor: Xie JunHao) OR Stage play (leading actor: Xie JunHao) OR TV
    series (leading actors: Lin Weishen, Chen Qitai)
    11. Han Yan Cui (Mist Over Dream Lake) (leading actors: Fang Ying, Chiao Chuang)
    LITERARY TEXTS – BOOKS
    12. Lu Xun: Gu Xiang (My Hometown)
    13. Ba Jin: Chun (Spring)
    14. Lin Haiyin: Cheng Nan Jiu Shi (Memories of Peking: South Side Stories), focusing on one
    or more of the stories

I've picked the han traditions one, but I'm confused what am I meant to do. My chinese teacher is really bad....I don't think he actually understands the question himself....anyone who's already done the chinese A level like last year? able to give me some help on the research bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ControversialDetonation)
    Heyy,
    I've picked the han traditions one, but I'm confused what am I meant to do. My chinese teacher is really bad....I don't think he actually understands the question himself....anyone who's already done the chinese A level like last year? able to give me some help on the research bit?
    Ha, you're way ahead of me. I haven't even chosen my topic yet, and my revision plan was forgotten from the moment I finished it. I'll probably go for Han Traditions too, and ask my mum to check it over for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 20, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.