Turn on thread page Beta

shyness ruining my life-help?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Please help. Im 23, and still havent got over my shyness problem. I hate my life, i have no friends at all, i was bullied at school and havent been clubbing or other social things, feel ive missed out on so much. Just sitting in my room, i just find it hard to talk to people. Dont know what to say and worry they will laugh or think im an idiot. Any advice on how to overcome this, before i waste the rest of my life..

ReputationRep:
    i don't hate because you're shy. you're shy because i hate you.

ReputationRep:
    I was the most shy person in my school of over 1,000 people. This was primarily due to things such as my stuttering (which I am now immune from due to my motivation gained by self-confidence). If you are shy, then it seems that you judge/criticise yourself too much when you should be looking for ways to enhance/inspire your weak attributes.

ReputationRep:
    Look at other people you would deem as shy. Do they look as awkward and out of place as you feel you look? No they don't, you are too self conscious.

If you have problems speaking to people, just get drunk and you won't want to stop!

Cheer Up!

ReputationRep:
    After being very shy for some years of my life I can tell you this with absolute certainty: People don't care as much as you may think they do.

Do your thing, be yourself and rest easy in the knowledge that you'll eventually find like-minded people.

ReputationRep:
    I know you were bullied and everything but are you going to let that affect the rest of your life? You need to take charge. YOU are the only person making yourself shy. YOU have the power.

ReputationRep:
    Do you over analyze and over think everything? I bet you do. Let it go, people really don't care.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know what they'll say unless you say something! Just go for it, be yourself and if people don't like you for who you are then find people who do! You deserve friends as much as anyone else does, don't let shyness beat you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.