Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Government shut down, in a country what would happen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Realistically... let's try and paint an imaginable, real and believable picture of what exactly would happen... say in England, parliament dissolves and all members of parliament resign, all government parties are dissolved, we have a sort of socially controlled and independent structure of 'self government'

It's a thought... I guess people will instantly just go wild with rioting, pillaging, random attacks and stabbings (then again that already happens on an average day), with random riots just about anywhere and literal anarchy everywhere like the student riots x 10 -

simply because there are no more legal rules or stipulations people have to listen to, I think police would be targeted deliberately by people that dislike them, their stations attacked and probably the same for members of parliaments / part members houses

At the same time I wouldn't like to think that the entire structure of society wouldn't just dissolve and fall apart without a government and laws but I think it probably would - refer to ever post apocalyptic survival film ever for an idea

ReputationRep:
    I step up and take the role of temporary dictator although you haven't factored the monarchy into your initial post.

ReputationRep:
    Somaila had no government from 91 to 04, I don't think it really prospered as a nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Somaila had no government from 91 to 04, I don't think it really prospered as a nation.
    And it's almost a year since Belgium has had a government. And it's doing better than the UK, economy wise.

ReputationRep:
    Most of Somalia, whilst not governed by a single state, was ripped apart by a war involving western-backed forces attempting to establish a legal monopoly on the use of force. In spite of this, Somalia performed better on many metrics than its neighbours.

You might find this interesting.

ReputationRep:
    The average lies being told per person would decrease significantly.

ReputationRep:
    Practical Anarchy perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    The comma proceeds country not down. Here, the title should read:

'If Government shut down in a country, what would happen?'

ReputationRep:
    Grammar would probably go to ****

ReputationRep:
    Evolution would come out of hibernation.

ReputationRep:
    You've never heard of Somaliland obviously. It's doing just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Realistically... let's try and paint an imaginable, real and believable picture of what exactly would happen... say in England, parliament dissolves and all members of parliament resign, all government parties are dissolved, we have a sort of socially controlled and independent structure of 'self government'
    Parliament don't do a whole lot except debate and vote on new laws. It doesn't do anything in the general day-to-day ticking over of the government. In the month before a general election when parliament is dissolved and during the long summer recess, we don't descend into anarchy.

We'd still have the civil service, we'd still have government departments, we'd still have the police, we'd still have the courts. I think that this country has been stable and had the rule of law long enough that unless this was all due to some huge uprising, enough people would respect the existing laws enough for life to carry on pretty much as it has done before.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the army would do...

ReputationRep:
    We would finally have democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    We would finally have democracy.
    How could a country-wide answer be reached on a decision without someone collecting opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    How could a country-wide answer be reached on a decision without someone collecting opinions?
    Are you saying that opinions from the population of this country are collected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Are you saying that opinions from the population of this country are collected?
    That is the intention of the voting system, I am definitely not after a debate on the effectiveness of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    You've never heard of Somaliland obviously. It's doing just fine.
    You mean... the part that never lost it's government as the local government took advantage of the central government's collapse to assert sovereignty and had been aiming to do as such for a long time?

And that's the part that is doing well? Just reinforcing his message there.

To the OP your post only mentioned the House of Parliament and Parties dissolving, that doesn't mean the bulk of the state apparatus suddenly collapses. The Bureaucracy is still there, merely sans policy makers. I'm sure the Electoral Commission will simply turn around and call an election to a (vacant) House of Commons.

ReputationRep:
    I would form my own army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChipDeeks)
    And it's almost a year since Belgium has had a government. And it's doing better than the UK, economy wise.
    Noticed this one as well. This just proves my earlier point that the apparatus of state still stands and can function with politicians. I hope this doesn't set a precedent and bureaucrats around the world rise up in a glorious revolution.

That would be bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.