Turn on thread page Beta

what would you HONESTLY think if you saw self harm scars? watch

ReputationRep:
    - a stranger - I would feel sorry for them but wouldn't think too much about it since I couldn't do anything about it
    - a friend - I would feel sad and sorry for them, and if it came up, I would see if there was anything I could do to help
    - a friend's girl/boyfriend - Same as with the stranger but I would mention it to the friend, or ask them about it
    - a family member- feel very worried, sad, and sorry for them, ask them about it gently, do anything I could to help

I have to say though, I wouldn't know self- harm scars if I saw them.

ReputationRep:
    that they were unstable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlllll)
    I would be disgusted. How can you have such a weak character?

Life's not always sunshine, fair enough. However there are people all over the world who are in situations a million times worse than those who self-harm over their appearance or rejection in a relationship etc...but who would never dream of self-harming.

It's called endurance and strength of character. I have very little respect for those who do drugs, but I would say that I have even less for those who self harm.
    Again, this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlllll)
    I would be disgusted. How can you have such a weak character?

Life's not always sunshine, fair enough. However there are people all over the world who are in situations a million times worse than those who self-harm over their appearance or rejection in a relationship etc...but who would never dream of self-harming.
    So, going against a 'playing with the cards your dealt' philosophy, you think that every single aspect of our lives should be plotted against our situation on a worldwide gratitude chart where your position on said chart dictates which issues you may act on as well as those you have to just suck up..?

ReputationRep:
    If somebody had self harm scars i'd just think that they're a moron.

If you're serious about it then you'd do something that isn't easily recognisable, such as overdosing, choking yourself or using elastic bands.
    Then the world will be rid of ya, or atleast you're not causing yourself serious harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    If somebody had self harm scars i'd just think that they're a moron.

If you're serious about it then you'd do something that isn't easily recognisable, such as overdosing, choking yourself or using elastic bands.
    Then the world will be rid of ya, or atleast you're not causing yourself serious harm.
    It's not always done as a way to kill yourself. It's often a very psychological thing... Cam be to "punish" yourself, or in the hope that someone will care enough to notice, or simply just to let out emotions that you feel unable to otherwise.
    It's not all clear-cut. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    It's not always done as a way to kill yourself. It's often a very psychological thing... Cam be to "punish" yourself, or in the hope that someone will care enough to notice, or simply just to let out emotions that you feel unable to otherwise.
    It's not all clear-cut. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.
    There's no denying that self harmers are idiots.

If they weren't then they'd go about it a different way....

Like what exactly?

I see doctors, I take the medications they give me, I talk to various therapists and do the things they say but nothing helps. I have people screaming at me to kill myself 90% of my waking hours so I cut and it satisfies them for a while. You got a better idea? If this sounds sarcastic, it's not, I'm genuinely curious, what should I be doing seeing as my current strategy is so idiotic?

ReputationRep:

Well no...
    What makes you say that? Because you're not explaining yourself.
    You realise it's usually because of some psychological issue that they can't help and probably don't realise?

ReputationRep:
    If I saw them on anybody and they were talking to me I would probably care. What's all this stuff about attention seeking? If someone is doing something for attention they need attention. No one self harms without distress. Personally I think more should be out in the open. they may be embarrassing in some circumstances but why shouldn't people know that many people are and have been in pain.
    I think theres a difference between showing someone because you want tem to know you are in pain and cutting yourself deliberately to get a certain reaction but as I've said already that person still needs to be loved.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.