Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically i took my GCSES last year and although I am a smart person when I try, during last year i could not be bothered at all. I thought going out with friends would be better than revising, obviously this proved wrong and i ended up with two GCSES and that was and A in English Lit and an A in English Lang. Considering most of my predicted grades were A*-C i was really upset, but at the end of the day it was no-ones fault but my own. This resulted in me not being able to do A Levels.

I'm now doing a BTEC in Health and Social which will then give me the grades to do A Levels in September, I was wondering though, even if i get amazing grades for my A Levels will Universities still maybe not consider me due my failings at GCSE?

Sorry for the long ramble :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeeasa)
    Basically i took my GCSES last year and although I am a smart person when I try, during last year i could not be bothered at all. I thought going out with friends would be better than revising, obviously this proved wrong and i ended up with two GCSES and that was and A in English Lit and an A in English Lang. Considering most of my predicted grades were A*-C i was really upset, but at the end of the day it was no-ones fault but my own. This resulted in me not being able to do A Levels.

I'm now doing a BTEC in Health and Social which will then give me the grades to do A Levels in September, I was wondering though, even if i get amazing grades for my A Levels will Universities still maybe not consider me due my failings at GCSE?

Sorry for the long ramble :P
    I have a friend from NZ who has no formal qualifications below As levels (and soon to be A levels). Yet he has offers from 3 of the top 10 unis in the country.
    So yes, I dont see why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    I have a friend from NZ who has no formal qualifications below As levels (and soon to be A levels). Yet he has offers from 3 of the top 10 unis in the country.
    So yes, I dont see why not.
    oh wow,so their is hope for me
    i would have thought something like that would effect my chances, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I think most like A-C in English and Maths, rest seem irrelevant IME

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be a good idea to see if you can do GCSE Maths at some point, and get a C.
    Apart from that then you should be fine I think

ReputationRep:
    dont do a levels go to uni with your btec and 1 gcse thats what i did and now im re sitting my maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting my Math as obviously i need at least a C for Uni
    Im doing a BTEC in Health and Social and the only reason im doing it is because it was the only route i could really take to getting onto A Levels in September, I don't really have any interest in Health And Social, I ideally want a career in Politics
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, most uni's i have seen need at least a C in GCSE maths, you should be able to retake it at your college.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.