Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have the "family rule" when it comes to relationships? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you go out of your way to dump someone to please your family?
    Yes! My family mean everything/something to me and they are always here... and all that jazz
    7.69%
    No! I'll date who I like! FOOL!
    82.81%
    I'll get back to you on this one!.... (Why am I here again?)
    9.50%

ReputationRep:
    My parents wouldn't even let me know they didn't like my boyfriend, unless it was for a very very good reason. So, no, I can have a relationship with whoever I want.

ReputationRep:
    Hah I wouldn't split up with someone if my parents dissaproved of him no matter what their reasons were, and it would actually really annoy me if they tried to make me! The only time I've ever ended it with someone because of other people not approving was when I ended it with my brothers best mate, but that was mainly because it was too awkward for both of them :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Neither does ceasing contact with someone because someone they're related to doesn't like you, to be fair.
    It does if they stand by their family

ReputationRep:
    I've only taken one girl that i was nicely dating a while ago to meet my mum, and it played out superb. Since then ive left her.. and my mum still thinks im still in a relationship with her.. from then i havent brought any girlfriends home to meet her. but i know whoever i bring home.. she be cool about it, but due to preferences i dont.

I sleep date whomever I like, my mum makes them a cup of tea/coffee in the morning

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I get on with my family but if they didn't like someone I was seeing then **** 'em... it wouldn't be too much of an effort for them to be civil on the odd occaisions that they had too meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acapella_x)
    Okay so I've just spoken to a friend who has told me he dumped his girlfriend because his family didn't like her. They weren't going out for long (2 months or so) but that isn't the point. He stated that his family didn't approve of her as an ideal girlfriend for him.

Does anyone else seem to follow this "family rule" when it comes to relationships?

Would you go out of your way to dump someone to please your family?
    Yes I have rules but rules are made to break lol:P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.