Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I only ask because my brother is starting at KPMG and everyone is making out that he has done something fantastic! I just wondered how good that is because I don't really know. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly hard. I know an Oxford physics graduate that couldn't get into the big 4, he settled for Tenon who are 6/7th roughly. It shows you need a lot more than a quality degree (physics at Oxford is probably the most highly respected degree in the world, when you think of the men who have previously been on that course, if not the most, then amongst the most highly respected courses).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Fairly hard. I know an Oxford physics graduate that couldn't get into the big 4, he settled for Tenon who are 6/7th roughly. It shows you need a lot more than a quality degree (physics at Oxford is probably the most highly respected degree in the world, when you think of the men who have previously been on that course, if not the most, then amongst the most highly respected courses).
    Wow, physics at Oxford! Well, I've always thought my brother was a bit thick... maybe not! (but he was probably just lucky!)

ReputationRep:
    My cousin did A&F at Sheffield and got a grad job with Deloitte 4 yrs ago. It's probably quite a bit harder today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    I'd never even considered Physics at Oxford as one of the most respected degrees in the world; it's entirely subjective. IMO Economics at LSE and Cambridge are right up there.

ReputationRep:
    Quite difficult but they do have a lot of places. If you are friendly, intelligent and have good social skills, you have a chance!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a good achievement.
    The things you can do with an ACA from KPMG is great.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that with England & Wales ACA (Chartered status) you have your foot in the door for most (not kidding) financial services jobs.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why getting into the big 4 is an achievement is for the exit opportunities they offer. Merely becoming an accountant wouldn't impress me in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree about the exit opportunities - management, industry, investment banking, etc. The list is endless

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.