The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sorry for you, I guess it was your first choice! But you already have offers from other universities. Good luck with the other uni's!
Reply 2
Not yet, but I'm sure that I've to join the club before Christmas.

I just had a look at your grades. :eek: So many 1's and yout got rejected!!! And from what I've read in other threads I reckon that your PS, reference and the written work were quiet good . It seems as if not everybody who deserves an interview actually gets it.

However, I'm sure that you'll get loads of offers from other universities. :smile: Oxbridge isn't all in life.
Reply 3
Thousands of people get rejected every year from Oxbridge, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Awww, sorry to hear that :frown: I'll be joining you either in a couple of days or in January depending on whether I get an interview or not :p:
Reply 5
kellywood_5
Awww, sorry to hear that :frown: I'll be joining you either in a couple of days or in January depending on whether I get an interview or not :p:

aren't you cambridge and you haven't received anything yet :eek: give them a ring, im sure my cambridge applicant friends received info 3 weeks ago..
Reply 6
what always puzzles me is that people who are initially unsure whether they will get a place end up applying to the biggest, most famous, and most importantly, the most over-subscribed colleges in oxford - your odds would be significantly better applying to somewhere smaller.etc., - this will not in a large part reflect on your education, but will stand you with a better probablility of a place.
Reply 7
You have a point, but if you are going to try for Oxford might as well pick somewhere you want to go rather than choosing a smaller college you do not like.
Reply 8
pfft! from someone who is actually there - there is really very little difference.
Every college has a different atmosphere, and different abilities, so you really cannot base your application on this. Also, everyone at oxford you talk to will tell you they love their college, even if it wasn't their first choice - it truly is a case of not where you are, but who you are with - and you will make many good friends wherever you go.
Reply 9
Yes, Oxford is Oxford. Not to dampen spirits or anything but if you are strong applicant would you not get pooled if the college you applied to was oversubscribed? Therefore, if you are good enough for Oxford it does not matter where you apply because they will find you a place for interview?
Reply 10
In an ideal world, yes - but this world is not ideal.
If at one college they have 30 applicants for 5 places, and they can interview 20, even if 5 of the other 10 are good enough to get in somewhere, the other colleges will be more willing to interview those people who showed a specific interest in their college.etc.
as a result, the world is not an ideal place, but the same will happen at non-collegiate universities with the tutors who overlook applications having slightly different personal selection criterium.etc.
austrian guy
I have been rejected from Christ Church Oxford for PPE.

But life goes on, wasn't thinking of making it anyway.

Anybody else?

I am so sorry to hear that :frown:
how come they gave a respose so early , i thought we hear after xmas?
Dont worry about it , have you thought what uni your going to make as your first choice now?
If you are still unhappy about their rejection why not take a gap year and re-apply?

good luck,
I will be posting my rejection in a couple of weeks ... :redface:
recurring
aren't you cambridge and you haven't received anything yet :eek: give them a ring, im sure my cambridge applicant friends received info 3 weeks ago..

Well, I got my SAQ and request for written work a few weeks ago, which I sent back, but I haven't heard anything since then, so I still don't know whether I have an interview or not. Apparently I picked a slow college. They said I'd hear by the end of November, so if I don't get anything tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll phone them.
ah ok, my friend applied to sidney sussex, albeit for a different subject and he received interview confirmation last week.
Reply 14
I'll join you late December/early January!
Just wondering is this rejection post interview?
Reply 16
**noooni**
Just wondering is this rejection post interview?

no. I'm an EU applicant and they rejected me straight away. probably because I didn't achieve the highest possible grade in maths last year and my written work wasn't really impressive (I sent geuine english essays and I'm being taught english as a foreign language (poor quality)- although I'm half british..)
Reply 17
what always puzzles me is that people who are initially unsure whether they will get a place end up applying to the biggest, most famous, and most importantly, the most over-subscribed colleges in oxford - your odds would be significantly better applying to somewhere smaller.etc., - this will not in a large part reflect on your education, but will stand you with a better probablility of a place.

That's what I thought so applied to Pembroke. Seemed nice and less applicants than most for my course. Have since decided that even if I get an offer (which is improbable as I don't think my ASs are really good enough for interveiws) I will probably reject it in favour of Warwick. But anyone applying in future should take note of bixerx23's advice.
N9ne
I'll join you late December/early January!
:dito:!! OP: Really sorry you got rejected :frown: But hey, you have an offer from B'ham and probably more to come! :smile:
recurring
ah ok, my friend applied to sidney sussex, albeit for a different subject and he received interview confirmation last week.

*Reminds self to flatten postman in the morning* :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending