Turn on thread page Beta

I know this should go in the motoring forum and mods you are welcome to move this but please don't take this off anonymous as I don't want others to know who I am seeing as I haven't told anyone about this.

Basically I passed my driving test 9 or 10 months ago after a few attempts (due to nerves; the driving examiner who had me always said I was a good driver who did something stupid) and when I did pass I got only 1 minor. This led me to think I was a bad driver with people saying 'you passed 5th time?' and i was mega self-conscious. This didn't help that literally the day after I passed I had an accident... It was pitch black and raining and I had to overtake a parked car, I checked my blind spot but clearly not well enough and scratched the other car. The damages were very minor but I felt really guilty that my dad would have to pay more insurance (went up by £250 and lost no claims for 2 years) and really shaken and disturbed and after that I really avoided driving.

I just felt like a really rubbish driver who shouldn't be on the road. I got back into it after pass plus and became more confident again but I still am shaken and don't like driving at busy times, etc. The thing is I am actually apparently a very good driver and when I gave lifts to my friends, and even my boyfriend (who thinks all women drivers are rubbish, typically) said I was a good driver, but they don't realise how nervous I am!

Anyway I have been away since January and am coming back in a few days time and I am petrified of the idea of driving again. I am a classic worrier and kept taking the train everywhere and making excuses for not driving and I don't like hiding the fact I'm so scared.

Am I wrong to think like this? Should I just man up? I know it's common to have an accident, especially at my age (19), and it was so minor it was ridiculous it had to be put on my insurance anyway but I'm just petrified it'll happen again, with a bigger car and I'll be hurt. Pass plus helped me get over a lot of my fears but I still haven't driven on the motorway by myself and can't drive anywhere near where I had my accident.

Any advice would be nice, I really want to be able to drive somewhere further than a mile or two away and not be completely petrified.

ReputationRep:
    i felt nervous when i was driving
    started researching if the driver is always at fault if he hits someone
    but srsly why go anon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this should go in the motoring forum and mods you are welcome to move this but please don't take this off anonymous as I don't want others to know who I am seeing as I haven't told anyone about this.

Basically I passed my driving test 9 or 10 months ago after a few attempts (due to nerves; the driving examiner who had me always said I was a good driver who did something stupid) and when I did pass I got only 1 minor. This led me to think I was a bad driver with people saying 'you passed 5th time?' and i was mega self-conscious. This didn't help that literally the day after I passed I had an accident... It was pitch black and raining and I had to overtake a parked car, I checked my blind spot but clearly not well enough and scratched the other car. The damages were very minor but I felt really guilty that my dad would have to pay more insurance (went up by £250 and lost no claims for 2 years) and really shaken and disturbed and after that I really avoided driving.

I just felt like a really rubbish driver who shouldn't be on the road. I got back into it after pass plus and became more confident again but I still am shaken and don't like driving at busy times, etc. The thing is I am actually apparently a very good driver and when I gave lifts to my friends, and even my boyfriend (who thinks all women drivers are rubbish, typically) said I was a good driver, but they don't realise how nervous I am!

Anyway I have been away since January and am coming back in a few days time and I am petrified of the idea of driving again. I am a classic worrier and kept taking the train everywhere and making excuses for not driving and I don't like hiding the fact I'm so scared.

Am I wrong to think like this? Should I just man up? I know it's common to have an accident, especially at my age (19), and it was so minor it was ridiculous it had to be put on my insurance anyway but I'm just petrified it'll happen again, with a bigger car and I'll be hurt. Pass plus helped me get over a lot of my fears but I still haven't driven on the motorway by myself and can't drive anywhere near where I had my accident.

Any advice would be nice, I really want to be able to drive somewhere further than a mile or two away and not be completely petrified.
    Don't worry, I went through this stage when I had a fear of driving if I was alone in my car (even having my 15 year old sister in the car who obviously isnt any help calmed me down) to the point where I would feel really shaken up for about half an hour after driving (it actually got worse rather than better) but one day I just got in the car and it had gone.
    You've already been told you're a good driver and I expect you are. Most people will have very near misses or an accident at some point in their driving (sometimes through no fault of their own or lack of experience) and you need to put the accident behind you. You just need to get out there and practice, start off in quieter areas and build up until you can drive past the place you had the accident. Might take a while, but you'll get there eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

1. Most people are nervous about driving just after passing their tests. If they're not then they're over-confident and probably dangerous.

2. Most people are **** drivers after they pass their test. They learn to drive properly once they have their own car and drive regularly. Passing the test just means your basically safe to be on the road.

3. Lots of people have bumps after passing their test. That's why their insurance premiums are higher.

4. Passing your test with only one minor is awesome.

So yes, man up, get out on the road and in a little while you'll love it.

Then after a while you'll start to hate it again, because it's no longer a challenge. Then it's time to learn to fly a plane.

(Original post by RadioHawk)
    i felt nervous when i was driving
    started researching if the driver is always at fault if he hits someone
    but srsly why go anon....
    Because loads of my friends are on here and I'd rather have it on anonymous where people don't know who I am ha

(Original post by bananabrain)
    Don't worry, I went through this stage when I had a fear of driving if I was alone in my car (even having my 15 year old sister in the car who obviously isnt any help calmed me down) to the point where I would feel really shaken up for about half an hour after driving (it actually got worse rather than better) but one day I just got in the car and it had gone.
    You've already been told you're a good driver and I expect you are. Most people will have very near misses or an accident at some point in their driving (sometimes through no fault of their own or lack of experience) and you need to put the accident behind you. You just need to get out there and practice, start off in quieter areas and build up until you can drive past the place you had the accident. Might take a while, but you'll get there eventually.
    Yeah having my 16 year old sister in the car used to calm me down loads as well!
    I feel exactly the same, thanks for such a lovely reply, I will try and put it behind me but it will be hard

ReputationRep:
    OP I don't have a problem with driving personally but I know a lot of my friends do. Is there anywhere near you that's typically quiet that you could just go for a drive around to put you at ease? I think the key to this is to just keep trying and eventually you'll realise that you're a good driver. Don't be put off by the little accident you had at the start, it just takes time! Honestly i think you need to stop being pessimistic as this will get worse and worse the longer you think in this way. One day why don't you completely relax yourself, listen to your favourite music, have a nice bath etc and then tell yourself you are a good driver and go for a drive. Optimism will be your friend. Every time you go in the car tell yourself that you ARE a good driver, and remember the compliments your friends/boyfriend have given you. Good luck, keep at it

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not surprised that you're scared ... if you're not good at driving, you're potentially risking yours and others life every time you get behind a wheel.

ReputationRep:
    You're only scared if you're not good at it by the time you've passed and gotten some experience yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'm afraid of driving. I've got this idea that the fact i've played so much GTA in my lifetime that i might start to run someone over for fun. Its fun in the game, but not in reality.

ReputationRep:
    A few driving lessons might help you get some practice on the specific things you're worried about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.