Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up, you'll be beautiful if you just have the confidence to think that you are :-)
    Stop worrying what other people think of you, and be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    you cant be as ugly as shrek, and he ended up banging that buff princess.

(Original post by Jellybean91)
    I genuinely used to feel this way about myself... the mirror was my worst enemy and all my friends could get the guys and no one would so much as look at me... i really do understand that... its crap but you need to start telling yourself youre not ugly and how much you deserve to be happy too, because (and yes its cliche) you need to learn to love yourself before anyone else can stand a chance... you cant let anyone in if you dont even like youself... what in particular is it you dont like? I really dont believe that youre ugly at all
    the camera is more of a worst enemy than the mirror for me. and its too hard to tell your self your not ugly if you believe you are. 2bh i dont like anything on my face. i dont have a issue with my body as its ok. but i hate everything on my face especially my skin and face shape

(Original post by Noodlepants)
    Yeh I agree with what someone said previously.
    Post three pictures, we can comment and then you don't have to say which one is you. People are hard on themselves and it probably isn't as bad as you think.
    Plus we can give advice, like Picture 1 needs a fringe, or picture 2 has nice lips so should bring attention to them with lipstick... things like that?
    xxx
    its too hard for me to even take a picture without feeling sick that i look that bad. plus i wouldn't have the confidence, especially if i posted a pic and people said that i was ugly it would make me feel worse as people are confirming what i believe

ReputationRep:
    Physical beauty is transitory, beauty of character however lasts forever. Be brave.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to come across as harsh, but i always do. Stop being so damn self obsessed and find something more worthwhile to do with your time then focusing on your face. If you do have a face that scares kids then that sucks but there isnt much you can do about it so you may as well make the most of it. Guys don't want to date you because you have no confidence and you are shallow, thats it.

Go and get involved with some volunteer work, go on holiday, get a hair cut, get a new skill and get on with living instead of staring forlornly into a mirror complaining.

ReputationRep:
    There's always grooming... I mean, trust me, no matter how bad a person's features are, threading your eyebrows, putting on a little makeup, having nice hair and dressing well would immediately make you look alot more polished

(Original post by Trigger)
    I really don't want to come across as harsh, but i always do. Stop being so damn self obsessed and find something more worthwhile to do with your time then focusing on your face. If you do have a face that scares kids then that sucks but there isnt much you can do about it so you may as well make the most of it. Guys don't want to date you because you have no confidence and you are shallow, thats it.

Go and get involved with some volunteer work, go on holiday, get a hair cut, get a new skill and get on with living instead of staring forlornly into a mirror complaining.

i think the reason why i spend so much time focusing on my face is because i dont have a job. i lost my jbo before christmas so don't have anything to do. i suffered with this last year, then i got a job so was too busy to pay attention. i agree i have no confidence and i never have had any. i dn't know how to get any. i have applied for volunteering work but have had no response and i have no money to go on holiday or even get a new hair cut wish i could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i think the reason why i spend so much time focusing on my face is because i dont have a job. i lost my jbo before christmas so don't have anything to do. i suffered with this last year, then i got a job so was too busy to pay attention. i agree i have no confidence and i never have had any. i dn't know how to get any. i have applied for volunteering work but have had no response and i have no money to go on holiday or even get a new hair cut wish i could.
    Well insetad of moping get out there and start handing in cvs then. I know its hard but you need to treat job hunting as a full time job in itself. Dog homes and charity shops are always looking fro help. Whats stoppign you going out today? The weather is lovely.

(Original post by Trigger)
    Well insetad of moping get out there and start handing in cvs then. I know its hard but you need to treat job hunting as a full time job in itself. Dog homes and charity shops are always looking fro help. Whats stoppign you going out today? The weather is lovely.
    the place where i live is one of the worse hit city's for job losses. i have handed oput cvs a couple of weeks ago, and every place i went to said the same thing no jobs. so its hard. im still trying. the thing is when you stay in house that much you kinda get scaed of going out, because of what people are going to think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I don't want to pressure you to post pictures up or anything, but I felt exactly the same as you. Seriously. I was petrified of leaving the house, because when I did, I could see everyone staring at my face. I kept seeing girls laughing at me with their friends and pointing at me. All I could do was try and hide behind my hair so I couldn't see them staring disgustedly at me anymore. And pictures are the worst, making me see how lopsided my face is all over again, especially when they're taken with more attractive friends, making me look even uglier by comparison. I don't know whether you too have been bullied, but I would guess so.
    I felt like this for years, and would regularly cry about it. When my bf dumped me, and I got zero romantic offers from anyone I was interested in, I hit rock bottom, and thought 'Okay, that's it. I need to know if I'm really as bad as I think'. So I posted a video of myself (which I think is more accurate than a picture) up here on TSR, and asked for harsh and honest opinions on my appearance, and how to prove it.
    Oh my God. I had many people comment, and they all said that I just looked like an average girl. I have never been so happy to be average! I love being average!! I don't know whether I was just paranoid or... what.

That was long winded, but the point is, it would really be great for you to post a picture. I know you're scared, but don't you just want to know? Don't you feel the need to know what people really think once and for all? I understand you're worried it would make you feel worse. Maybe you have to be at absolute rock bottom and have nothing to lose to be okay doing it, but the impossible might happen - you might find that you are actually fine. That all that time being insecure was wasted. The impossible happened to me, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

No pressure, but whatever you do, don't think suicidal thoughts. A person has value beyond their outside appearance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel down. I hope this cheers you up:

(Original post by Jennet)
    I'm sorry, I don't want to pressure you to post pictures up or anything, but I felt exactly the same as you. Seriously. I was petrified of leaving the house, because when I did, I could see everyone staring at my face. I kept seeing girls laughing at me with their friends and pointing at me. All I could do was try and hide behind my hair so I couldn't see them staring disgustedly at me anymore. And pictures are the worst, making me see how lopsided my face is all over again, especially when they're taken with more attractive friends, making me look even uglier by comparison. I don't know whether you too have been bullied, but I would guess so.
    I felt like this for years, and would regularly cry about it. When my bf dumped me, and I got zero romantic offers from anyone I was interested in, I hit rock bottom, and thought 'Okay, that's it. I need to know if I'm really as bad as I think'. So I posted a video of myself (which I think is more accurate than a picture) up here on TSR, and asked for harsh and honest opinions on my appearance, and how to prove it.
    Oh my God. I had many people comment, and they all said that I just looked like an average girl. I have never been so happy to be average! I love being average!! I don't know whether I was just paranoid or... what.

That was long winded, but the point is, it would really be great for you to post a picture. I know you're scared, but don't you just want to know? Don't you feel the need to know what people really think once and for all? I understand you're worried it would make you feel worse. Maybe you have to be at absolute rock bottom and have nothing to lose to be okay doing it, but the impossible might happen - you might find that you are actually fine. That all that time being insecure was wasted. The impossible happened to me, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

No pressure, but whatever you do, don't think suicidal thoughts. A person has value beyond their outside appearance.
    i feel the esact same. i have only been bullied by my sister and brother. whats depressing is i use to be ok looking before i hit puberty. like i use to look good in pictures and videos and i had a few boys like me. as soon as i hit puberty my skin went bad, now im left with scars, and my face shape changed, its more of a square shape now. 2bh im kind of at the stage where i dont want to know what people think because i am scared encase they confire that i am actually ugly. i dont know what went wrong at puberty tomake me look like this! some days i think ilook ok in the mirror but in every single picture i look awful and it annoys me. because i don't know if i look like how i do in the picture (which is awful) or how i look in the mirror (which is still bad but not as bad as a photo) i wish i could go back to how i looked when i was younger!

ReputationRep:
    You know what,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.If you don't love yourself,how are you going to love anyone else?...

ReputationRep:
    So what if you're ugly? Doesn't mean you have to feel bad about yourself. Get some confidence, wear clothes that you feel good in and you'll soon start feeling better.

Try moodgym, it's an online CBT program meant for people with depression/anxiety, but it could help you break out of all the overly negative thoughts about your appearance.

ReputationRep:
    You want a straw?

Because you should suck it up. No normal person is happy with their face, other people who may think they're ugly don't want to kill themselves, stop putting so much emphasis on looks

ReputationRep:
    Go on 4oD and watch Katie: My Beautiful Friends and that will really put things into perspective for you. Life's too short to be upset, make the most of yourself!

ReputationRep:
    If you feel this badly I would strongly advice you seek counselling. Talk to your GP they can help. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i feel the esact same. i have only been bullied by my sister and brother. whats depressing is i use to be ok looking before i hit puberty. like i use to look good in pictures and videos and i had a few boys like me. as soon as i hit puberty my skin went bad, now im left with scars, and my face shape changed, its more of a square shape now. 2bh im kind of at the stage where i dont want to know what people think because i am scared encase they confire that i am actually ugly. i dont know what went wrong at puberty tomake me look like this! some days i think ilook ok in the mirror but in every single picture i look awful and it annoys me. because i don't know if i look like how i do in the picture (which is awful) or how i look in the mirror (which is still bad but not as bad as a photo) i wish i could go back to how i looked when i was younger!
    I can't even tell you how similar we are!
    Well, actually I can. And will.
    I was an attractive kid, too! At least I thought I was. People were always saying I was cute and had big eyes, and I pretty much just enjoyed being me with no worries. Then, like you I hit puberty. I got terrible acne and greasy skin. My hair got very greasy. My teeth became buck teeth which I needed a brace for. My oval face turned into a rectangular face shape. I felt awkward wherever I went, and at school every boy I came across bullied me and laughed at me for being ugly. None of the girls wanted to be friends with me. Towards the end of school, I managed to make a few friends who liked me for my personality, but I think those years pretty much set the foundation for the rest of my life.

My skin is still spotty, although it's calmed down, and my hair can be controlled now, greaswise at least. I still have a rectangular face shape, and what I like to call a 'strong' nose.
    Like you, I look in the mirror, and don't think I look so bad. I sometimes feel vain for thinking this, even though everyone should be able to feel like they look good. But then I get outside, and in the natural light my confidence vanishes. People just stare at me and I get smaller and smaller and more and more ugly in my mind. In pictures, I'm scared they show me how I really am.

I understand that it's difficult to post pictures of yourself up on a site like this, especially if you're worried people you know might find you and this post on the internet, but purely for your own piece of mind, it's worth it.
    When I posted, I felt the same, and was asking for both a confirmation of the way I felt, and ways to improve my appearance. That way, even if people don't like your looks, you can come away from the experiece feeling far better than you did when you started.

I'm sorry for the overly long post.

I'm also really sorry you feel this way. It's hell. It's hard to enjoy being yourself when you're constantly worried about how people see you. Beautiful people can enjoy letting go and having fun without worrying about what they look like.
    Try not to worry too much (impossible, I know), things will get better for you.

How old are you, because if you're still going through puberty, things can change a lot as you come out of it. I know my skin did.

(Original post by Jennet)
    I can't even tell you how similar we are!
    Well, actually I can. And will.
    I was an attractive kid, too! At least I thought I was. People were always saying I was cute and had big eyes, and I pretty much just enjoyed being me with no worries. Then, like you I hit puberty. I got terrible acne and greasy skin. My hair got very greasy. My teeth became buck teeth which I needed a brace for. My oval face turned into a rectangular face shape. I felt awkward wherever I went, and at school every boy I came across bullied me and laughed at me for being ugly. None of the girls wanted to be friends with me. Towards the end of school, I managed to make a few friends who liked me for my personality, but I think those years pretty much set the foundation for the rest of my life.

My skin is still spotty, although it's calmed down, and my hair can be controlled now, greaswise at least. I still have a rectangular face shape, and what I like to call a 'strong' nose.
    Like you, I look in the mirror, and don't think I look so bad. I sometimes feel vain for thinking this, even though everyone should be able to feel like they look good. But then I get outside, and in the natural light my confidence vanishes. People just stare at me and I get smaller and smaller and more and more ugly in my mind. In pictures, I'm scared they show me how I really am.

I understand that it's difficult to post pictures of yourself up on a site like this, especially if you're worried people you know might find you and this post on the internet, but purely for your own piece of mind, it's worth it.
    When I posted, I felt the same, and was asking for both a confirmation of the way I felt, and ways to improve my appearance. That way, even if people don't like your looks, you can come away from the experiece feeling far better than you did when you started.

I'm sorry for the overly long post.

I'm also really sorry you feel this way. It's hell. It's hard to enjoy being yourself when you're constantly worried about how people see you. Beautiful people can enjoy letting go and having fun without worrying about what they look like.
    Try not to worry too much (impossible, I know), things will get better for you.

How old are you, because if you're still going through puberty, things can change a lot as you come out of it. I know my skin did.
    im 20. i suffered from mild stubborn acne, which still left scars. the scars can only be seen in bright light and maybe natural light? i also believe i look worse outside! my mild acne is gone, i get the odd spot now and then, but im left with large pores, blackheads and acne scars. i have saved up £400 and im considering getting some kinda of treatment to get rid of most my scars, or im considering getting botox in my jaw to make it less square but i don't know which one to get which will show the most improvement? i think puberty would have finnished now 2bh and has left me looking like this

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.