Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I get paid £3 an hour (cash in hand) as a part time waitress, and I'm sixteen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    I get paid £3 an hour (cash in hand) as a part time waitress, and I'm sixteen.
    That's below legal minimum wage, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    That's below legal minimum wage, you know?
    I know, but I'm in no position to do anything, the pub is the only place in walking distance, and if I asked for more, they'd sack me. I'd rather £3 an hour than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I work for a theatre school teaching classes and workshops.
    I'm only contracted for 2 x1hr classes a week, however I often cover classes.

Pay varies- cover rate is £20p/h, normal rate is around £12.50, assisting is £7.50- however I've been paid up to £100p/h before (it was for a government event and I was contracted in to lead some workshops).

It would be difficult to live on full time due to the nature of the work, but for a part time job it's absolutely perfect

ReputationRep:
    Boots - £6.30 p/h
    Greggs - £5.70 p/h

ReputationRep:
    I know, but I'm in no position to do anything, the pub is the only place in walking distance, and if I asked for more, they'd sack me. I'd rather £3 an hour than nothing.
    So they advertised a job but wouldn't offer you a proper contract of employment?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Working at the university (doing stuff I'd do for free like open days) we get £6.46 an hour but they add holiday pay which goes up to £7.17 an hour. It's not bad really for chatting to people all day and helping out with clearing :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    So they advertised a job but wouldn't offer you a proper contract of employment?
    I phoned them asking if they had any job vacancies, they told me they were short staffed and could use a part time waitress, no contract, no paying tax etc(not that they mentioned this to me before I'd done my first shift :rolleyes:, very sly and basically they're doing what they want, which I hate but it's a lose/lose situation.

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally babysit my mums friend's kids for ( usually) £5 an hour. It's not a proper contracted job or anything, but I can't find a job anywhere :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Work for an agency , providing staff to pretty big events/places like royal ascott/the olympics and lords...along with many others in and around London.

Pay fluctuates depending on the job..for instance royal ascott was minimum wage (for a 21 year old and i'm 20 so above minimum for me ) and plus we got about 40 pence an hour holiday pay so round about 6.48 an hour.

However olympics the pay has gone all the way up to 8.30 an hour...not too bad considering it's the first job i've ever had :P.

ReputationRep:
    I phoned them asking if they had any job vacancies, they told me they were short staffed and could use a part time waitress, no contract, no paying tax etc(not that they mentioned this to me before I'd done my first shift :rolleyes:, very sly and basically they're doing what they want, which I hate but it's a lose/lose situation.
    Fair enough. If you accepted the deal then it's your choice as much as theirs. I guess you could report them, but you would lose your income for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Disney Store, part time £6.46 an hour plus a few perks.

ReputationRep:
    I work in a School Uniform Shop. £5 per hour with extras for high Sales Averages. I started as part-time but as the schools break out I work practically full time. Last week I worked around 40 hours :| It's decent work though and the kids are cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Ok whoever negged me own up!!! I didn't say anything
    bad!!!

Seriously pm me or something I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone but please don't just neg, tell me
    loool people take this whole neg rep/pos rep system way too seriously.

You got negged. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Student Ambassador - Casual - £8ph
    Youth Worker - Casual - £8ph
    Cleaner at hospital - 6 hours a week - £9ph for sat, £14ph for sun.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully starting as an educational support worker in October - £7.90 ish per hour, 10 - 12 hours per week (but only during term time).

ReputationRep:
    Football matches in London
    Average 10 hrs/ week (Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea + some Fulham games)
    £10 an hour + free match ticket and perks

ReputationRep:
    I work at the Motorcycle Museum by Birmingham Airport on weddings, events etc. £6.25 an hour, but it's only when they need us so in the Winter we barely get any work, but we get quite a lot in summer. I would like a regular job where I have set hours though, but I've gave up looking especially as I'm going to university.

ReputationRep:
    Promotional Work/Brand Ambassador- around £16 per hour for the main one I do, some other clients pay a bit less, but never no less than £10 per hour. Plus expenses such as travel, food and hotel stays. It's part-time/on and off whenever there are campaigns around my area and stuff I want to do.. Good money though, I pretty much cleared off my overdraft by doing 10 days of work last month But you can't rely on this job for regular income..

ReputationRep:
    Steward at the olympics £8.50PA plus £1pa bonus

need to find a new job though :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.