Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where do you work and how much do you get paid per hour? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mevans32)
    Breaks are unpaid, but pretty reasonable 15 mins for 4 hours, 30 mins for 6 hours, 45 mins for 7 hours, 1 hour for 8 hours 1 and a half hours for nine hours or work mulitple shifts and have a gap inbetween.
    Oh and under 18's get the breaks of the time above, so half an hour for four hours and two hours for nine hours- but that's voluntary for them
    + remember that you get something like £7.12 when you start, but it's always increasing, when I started in September 2009 it was £5.70 (:
    Thank you, I was really impressed with the wage, not what you expect for a self-stacking job do you tend to work on a particular department? What kind of Tesco is it like Express, Metro...?

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys, 12+ hours, 6.55 ish an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    and you just quoted me on something I posted ages ago.

Well done...
    You just got yourself another 3 negs courtesy of your pointless comment, which was quite hypocritcial considering you've quoted me ages after I made that comment...

If you carry on this way you'll end up losing all your pos rep, and giving yourself a heartattack. I advise you, for your own health, to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.K)
    You just got yourself another 3 negs courtesy of your pointless comment, which was quite hypocritcial considering you've quoted me ages after I made that comment...

If you carry on this way you'll end up losing all your pos rep, and giving yourself a heartattack. I advise you, for your own health, to shut up.

I hardly use this website these days, does it look like I care about my rep??

shush little one

ReputationRep:
    I work at the Co-operative sitting on a checkout. (I used to be on shopfloor). The pay is £6.25 and I work part time. However pay will be going up soon mainly due to inflation. But in our yearly attitude survey more people will be pressing for higher wage. I'm hoping it shoots up to £7 but at best I bet it'll be £6.50. My Brother who has worked there a year longer than me gets an extra 10-15p an hour than I do lol. I get 10% off of food as staff discount, 20% on 6 days of the year. 5% off Holidays through Co-Op travel (sometimes more on specific promotions). £10 Christmas voucher which I can spend on whatever in the Co-op. The Colleague dividend bonus is usually £60 in co-op vouchers once a year (not including the members card vouchers which is essentially the equivalent of a tesco club card). I work Saturday and Sunday contracted for 2x 4 hour shifts. So 8 hours in total but I end up working 12-16 and sometimes 20 hours per week if the overtime is there . We get 14 days paid holidays (longer you been there more you get) throughout the year not including bank holidays. If you work a bank holiday you get tripple pay however it's changed now to 'loo' days. They give you an extra days holiday for each bank holiday you work :/. We get a 10 minute paid break for a 4 hour shift. 2x 10 minute breaks for 6-8 hours. 8 hour shifts and more we have the right to take a half an hour unpaid break if we want surrendering one of the 10 minute paid breaks. (I choose not to though)But tbh after applying twice and being rejected and handing out over 50 CV's and having no confidence.. I'm just grateful to my mum who handed an application in when I literally gave up getting a job. Christmas = unlimited overtime pretty much !

I think I'm very lucky to have this job and the pay and the benefits for the amount of effort you put in is fantastic for the employee. I feel like I know hundreds more people from all walks of life reasonably well (the locals). The Co-op I work in is a Supermarket and is the only large Supermarket within a 15 mile radius and the only competition is the little co-op 15 mins walk away. So Business is good . I used to work on the shopfloor on wines, spirits and beers. At the time I thought why are those on the checkout getting paid more for less effort? (I knew what they did as I was called to the checkouts when it got busy). However since I turned 18 I've been on checkouts (Since January). Although talking to locals is great, the job feels unfulfilling and you do find yourself clock watching a lot and time certainly does not fly. Think of the money as they say.. think of the money !

There are other employee benefits with motor deals such as leasing a car and car insurance (people over 21 with no claims to their name). The Co-Operative bank has some nice benefits for people who work for the Co-operative. I'm going to be looking for Student accounts soon and my membership of the Co-op and Employee status might gain me some extras too

ReputationRep:
    6.66 per hour. My manager thought it would be funny (seriously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    6.66 per hour. My manager thought it would be funny (seriously)
    I'd give you a positve but I can't dish out more rep today ! It did make me laugh though and I thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    just thought I add.

My sister started with Tesco about 5months ago and she said it £6.65 then They been a pay rise so it start pay at £6.80ph for all new staff.

I know YEARS ago when I just left school worked in Tesco and I was on 5.75ph and worked like 18hrs a week but used to get MEGA overtime if you were willing to work odd hours! Would like to work back at my store, Was one best laughs we used to have.

Can I ask is there still a very much Tesco Banter!

ReputationRep:
    sales assisstant , £6.08 an hour, 20% staff discount.

not bad for a first job, not sure how i'll manage when i have to quit for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishChris)
    just thought I add.

My sister started with Tesco about 5months ago and she said it £6.65 then They been a pay rise so it start pay at £6.80ph for all new staff.

I know YEARS ago when I just left school worked in Tesco and I was on 5.75ph and worked like 18hrs a week but used to get MEGA overtime if you were willing to work odd hours! Would like to work back at my store, Was one best laughs we used to have.

Can I ask is there still a very much Tesco Banter!
    I have a friend working at tills on tesco on £7.14 an hour! Time and a half on sundays, double time on bank holidays, lucky git.

Not sure what other tescos are like but my partners is the security guard at our big one, apparently everyone is shagging everyone and ****ging each other off, stupid amounts of bullying apparantly :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Housekeeper at Athlete's Village. I get paid £8.30 an hour. It's a shame it's only a temporary job

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i'm working as a Nursing Assistant at a hospice.
    I get £7.69 an hour, but time and a third on nights and saturdays, and time and two thirds on sunday.

I work bank shifts, so when they need me they ring me and I go in, so it's irregular hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    I get paid £3 an hour (cash in hand) as a part time waitress, and I'm sixteen.
    I got that per hour as a waitress at 17 in 1997! Thats well below todays min wage!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

ReputationRep:
    I work at Tesco Call Centre doing Market Research, normally get on average about 10/12 hours a week but sometimes there's no shifts and other times I end up working like 26 hours a week. It's £6.20 p/hour because I'm employed by a recruitment agency not Tesco themselves, I like my job though it suits me.

ReputationRep:
    Currently waitressing at the Olympic park for £8.30. However the Olympics finishes in a few days and I'll probably drop down to an average pay of £6.50 or so .

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Is there any decent non retail/catering jobs that you can do while at school? i am going into S6 and would like to get a part time job, though i really would hate working a retail job or doing catering work (like waitressing or whatever). Would prefer a job where i can work from home or some form of office work, though i have no idea if such a thing is viable for someone still in school.

ReputationRep:
    im working at lloyds bank im getting 150 pound a day for hitting my target

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zacarea)
    Is there any decent non retail/catering jobs that you can do while at school? i am going into S6 and would like to get a part time job, though i really would hate working a retail job or doing catering work (like waitressing or whatever). Would prefer a job where i can work from home or some form of office work, though i have no idea if such a thing is viable for someone still in school.
    Hmm not being funny but you aren't really keeping your options open, retail and catering ones are pretty easy to get into (well it was when I was a teenager) However you may get lucky...

ReputationRep:
    Can I just suggest mystery shopping and Avon? MS doesn't pay a lot but it can pay towards stuff you want and need. Avon is great cos you can get lots of free and cheap make up!

ReputationRep:
    £7.98 as General Assistant at Sainsburys Used to get £6.18 as a cleaner before this, and £7.15 on a farm before that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.