The Student Room Group

What do you think of guys who never visit the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare

zyzz disapproves of this thread

zyzz is a physical beast.anyone who says differently is just jelly.

BTW anyone who doesnt go to the gym is probably a skinny loser.
Original post by Angie varona

lol'd at username, sup misc brah
Reply 242

Nothing much brah,hitting gym at 5 for some serious workouts with the boys you?
Original post by Angie varona

He does use steroids though, let's be clear. I could get like that with steroids. I think most guys could.
Reply 245
as long as they're not actually fat don't care. and I know how pathetic it sounds but id rather be the fitter one as it would make me feel better and being with someone more fit would make me feel rather insecure
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
He does use steroids though, let's be clear. I could get like that with steroids. I think most guys could.

Hes off the roids now i think
Reply 247
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
uh huh

and what happens when those BIG BAD men decide to take your wallet? or rape your Gf in front of you? Dare I say you might run squealing for the hills less you hear some grunting noises?

Both those situations provide reasons to study martial arts or boxing or something. I would not think "I wish I had gone to the gym".
Reply 248
Original post by Anti Elephant Mine
We're on an internet forum. Not exactly the best place to find people that do actually exercise or go to the gym. Which means the general opinion on this matter is going to be swayed by the several internet posters who do valuable little else with their time and simply can't be arsed to exercise. "Oh I don't go to the gym, so it must be gay/waste of time/pathetic" is all I'm seeing from the majority of posters in this thread. If you can't be bothered to maintain a healthy lifestyle then ****ing admit it rather than trying to force a negative spin on this whole 'fitness' business because you simply aren't motivated enough like the rest of us.

Oh, and sorry, but women are naturally more attracted to more muscular males, even if you try to convince yourself you're not.

It's nothing to do with fitness. Play a sport, go jogging, do something fun. The motivation for going to the gym is narcissism:

"I want to look hench/buff/built"
Original post by Mr Disco
Both those situations provide reasons to study martial arts or boxing or something. I would not think "I wish I had gone to the gym".

Sorry but when a fight involving 2 guys or more happens you need the following on your side

-Mental state to inflict pain when needed
-Capable of holding a guy in a position long enough to hurt him
-Muscle
-Elbows and knees
-Uppercut punches
-Neck hits
-Groin hits

You dont need any boxing/martial arts background to understand this, you need to focus when in a fight, you'd probably fall over the nearest stone.
It's nothing to do with fitness. Play a sport, go jogging, do something fun. The motivation for going to the gym is narcissism:

Except strength training has a lot to do with fitness and it can also be fun.

Don't let your insecurity cloud your ability to think logically.
Reply 251
I think (know) people's views are incredibly biased :smile: - People are only basing their opinions on what seems to be the body building hardcore gym-goers that spend most their time to bulking. But that's their choice right?

Anyway my point is what about the many people that do gym alongside their everyday life? I'm trying to get more into gym and at the moment it seems people will judge me negatively.

I want to get stronger, more fit and look better is that really a crime wanting to look better as well? :P I'm not vain just if there's a way to improve myself and it's in reach I should shoot for it? :wink:

I also want to get more into my running and so gym can help with my general fitness (free gym membership with my accomodation so how could I say no? :wink: though i will be paying for it next year 'tis worth it)

People remember - you can go to the gym AND not be a self-obsessed person stop ruling all the options out :smile:
There is no problem with that - walking is enough exercise
Reply 253
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering. Does it put you off that a guy never goes to the gym and pulls weights/works out? The guy is not fat or anything, he just doesn't have the typically buffed up gym body and would rather spend his time doing other things.

Don't like either extreme. I appreciate a man who takes as much care in his body as I do. As long as the gym isn't an obsession or he hasn't got a complete aversion to being healthy I don't mind. Prefer everything in moderation. :redface:
Original post by spammoclocks
There is no problem with that - walking is enough exercise

lol

Rudimentary martial arts or boxing won't help you when you're weak as a kitten.

Cardiovascular endurance =/= fitness.
(edited 13 years ago)
i honestly wouldnt care :pierre:

even if they did go to the gym, im not exactly going to have a conversation about them about it. Erghhh did that once and it was so ****ing boring :nothing:
i would prefer them to be big because thats my type but loads of girls dont care or even prefer the skinny indie looking type. :smile:
Original post by galadriel100
I wouldn't care.

Everyone is different and enjoys doing different things. I don't go to the gym, but I like yoga. Other people don't like yoga and prefer to do photography....and others don't like the gym, yoga or photography and do bird watching. Do I care? No!

epic post, made me smile :biggrin:
Reply 259
Original post by AMorgan26
Rudimentary martial arts or boxing won't help you when you're weak as a kitten.

Cardiovascular endurance =/= fitness.

You are the first to mention the word 'rudimentary'. Also most human beings aren't "as weak as a kitten". That was an exaggeration.

No real reason to go the gym has been provided by the very weak argument that "You might have your wallet stolen or your girlfriend might get raped."

Speed, agility and intelligence would make the difference. Not having a six pack.

Having gone to they gym might be of slight benefit. But it is hardly the thing that makes the difference.

Furthermore, this very vague possibility is a weak excuse for wasting hours and hours of my life:

I have never been attacked, probably never will be attacked and would either laugh or run away if attacked depending on the level of threat and menace.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending