Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of guys who never visit the gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    No, you're just going to be a virgin for the rest of your life.
    I lol'd :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    lol - Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the gym in the summer to get rid of my buddha belly inherited through uni life. But it's the ego of 'gym goers' that really irritates me. When they're out they just take life so seriously, walking around with their chest puffed out like the world owes them a favour.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have time for that... It's embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    Here follows a list of reasons why you are wrong, do enjoy:

1. The primary motivation for visiting the gym is not "strength training". Ask most people, and they will say things like "to improve confidence with women", "to get bigger" or simply "to look hench". Don't believe me? Look back over this thread.

Whats wrong with that? How is it differenr from people wanting a new haircut or wearing nice clothes

2. Depends on the sport. Clearly. Most sports do not require religious lifting of weights.

Sprinters lift weights
    Cyclists lift weights (the speed **** they do in the olympics)
    Pretty much any other olympic sport
    Rugby players
    Football players
    Basketball players
    Even weightlifting itself is its own sport, powerlifting / olympic weightlifting
    The list goes on. Look up pretty much any athletic sport and you will find at the elite level they will probably lift weights.

3. The "everyday life" benefits of lifting weights, as opposed to say, doing a sport, going for a jog or reading a book have yet to be made clear by anyone on this thread. I propose that the majority of people who spend their hours lifting weights would be far better off reading something. I suggest the excellent Biff, Chip and Kipper series as a starting point.

Being able to deadlift 500lb makes lifting that 200lb box you cant lift a lot easier.
    It teaches you to lift properly.
    Helps preven back pain, hip pain, knee pain that comes with old age etc
    Makes you harder to kill (srs, there is an article somewhere, that basically says strength training makes you harder to kill

And reading a book, go for a jog is not mutually exculsive to lifting weights. Weightlifting only takes a few hours a week, yet you get **** loads of benifits from it[/b]

4. I do educate myself, on proper things, instead of going to the gym. This has yielded far greater "everyday life benefits" than the pointless lifting of bits of metal.
    You're and idiot
    See bold, also:

http://images2.memegenerator.net/Ima...ame=Why-you-no

ReputationRep:
    I often think that people who obsessively go the gym either used to be fat, have control issues or had no luck with girls at an early age and thought that muscles would compensate for their face. The latter is why you get gym monkeys who try and look down on normal people, as they resent that there are people who don't bother with the gym and still get more action.

Of course there are exceptions - some people go the gym because they genuinely enjoy it, or because they are training for a sport. Just personally, I prefer to get my excercise through sport as it is far more fun, mentally stimulating and social.

ReputationRep:
    1. There's nothing wrong with the desire. It was a response from a different poster who suggested that strength training was the primary motivation for going to the gym. Well done for confirming such an assertion to be false.

2. You have listed some sports. A minority of sports. You have not countered my point.

3. You will probably end up with a job lifting boxes.

I however, will not and do not need the skills to lift heavier boxes.

Also, no one is trying to kill me.

If I was jealous, SURELY TO GOD I WOULD GO TO THE GYM. There are hundreds of writers, sportsmen, musicians etc of whom I am jealous. I am not jealous of insecure, 'buff', retards.

ReputationRep:
    1. There's nothing wrong with the desire. It was a response from a different poster who suggested that strength training was the primary motivation for going to the gym. Well done for confirming such an assertion to be false.

2. You have listed some sports. A minority of sports. You have not countered my point.

3. You will probably end up with a job lifting boxes.

I however, will not and do not need the skills to lift heavier boxes.

Also, no one is trying to kill me.

If I was jealous, SURELY TO GOD I WOULD GO TO THE GYM. There are hundreds of writers, sportsmen, musicians etc of whom I am jealous. I am not jealous of insecure, 'buff', retards.
    Okay then, to make things easier, find me an athletic sport in which they dont lift weights. Thats a hell of a lot easier than making a list of all the ones that do.

If by a "job lifting boxes", you mean, me handing you a box of tablets because of all the health problems you have because you are so fat, then yes. I shall have a job lifting boxes.

Also, u mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaloblastic)
    Okay then, to make things easier, find me an athletic sport in which they dont lift weights. Thats a hell of a lot easier than making a list of all the ones that do.

If by a "job lifting boxes", you mean, me handing you a box of tablets because of all the health problems you have because you are so fat, then yes. I shall have a job lifting boxes.

Also, u mad?
    You have, rather crudely, changed the nature of the arguments. There are very few sports that require obsessive amounts of time lifting weights. Of course footballers lift weights occasionally, but there is no correlation between the quality of the footballer and capacity to lift bits of metal. The same is true of all sports that have any kind of cerebral requirements.

And no. I meant that you will probably only be intellectually fit for manual labour. It is perhaps an unfair assumption, but the quality of your arguments has done little to dissuade such a notion.

You seem to be suggesting that only by going to the gym can one maintain a healthy lifestyle. Shall I explain for you why this is incorrect? Or were you being disingenuous?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't particularly mind, though it would be nice if he did still get exercise in other ways, since gym isn't the only way you know.

ReputationRep:
    This thread seems to be going in circles...

Not going to gym != Never exercising at all
    Going to gym != Automatically buff, healthy and attractive
    Not going to gym != Automatically weedy, unhealthy and unattractive
    You do need to go to a gym, to be able to perform the vast majority of sports.

ReputationRep:
    I have been going to the gym 2 years now noticed huge differences in my appearance and strength i even joined a hnc exercise and fitness course at my local college because i found lifting weights so enjoyable. Dont know why i like lifting weights so much i hate running/cycling/circuits

ReputationRep:
    Here follows a list of reasons why you are wrong, do enjoy:

1. The primary motivation for visiting the gym is not "strength training". Ask most people, and they will say things like "to improve confidence with women", "to get bigger" or simply "to look hench". Don't believe me? Look back over this thread.

2. Depends on the sport. Clearly. Most sports do not require religious lifting of weights.

3. The "everyday life" benefits of lifting weights, as opposed to say, doing a sport, going for a jog or reading a book have yet to be made clear by anyone on this thread. I propose that the majority of people who spend their hours lifting weights would be far better off reading something. I suggest the excellent Biff, Chip and Kipper series as a starting point.

4. I do educate myself, on proper things, instead of going to the gym. This has yielded far greater "everyday life benefits" than the pointless lifting of bits of metal.
    1.yes because a few people on a forum represent the general population:rolleyes:
    strength and looking 'hench' arent mutually exclusive, both contribute to each other.

2. tell me how many sports that strength wont help with?

3. 'spend their hours lifting weights' 3-4 hours a week? they can do everything you listed as well as go to the gym. inb4 'oh but they cant read!!!!hahahahahh!!111111!!'

4. well people who go to the gym can do both. u mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    I been going gym since 2007. To be honest, I feel like it's a waste of money, although I only pay £15/month. To me, it's just a hobby and it's better then staying at home doing nothing.

I have seen no improvement in my fitness level and don't see any change in my body, maybe slightly more toned compared to 2007.

I usually do the same routine every time at the gym, maybe that's why I am bored of it.
    Quite obviously doing it very wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    Well actually you stand to gain a lot, in terms of mental ability (greater cerebral blood flow), from exercise.
    This. In fact, I would be at the gym right now except that Stephen Hawking chap hogs all the machines.

ReputationRep:
    I can show them a good workout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by int92)
    1.yes because a few people on a forum represent the general population:rolleyes:
    strength and looking 'hench' arent mutually exclusive, both contribute to each other.

2. tell me how many sports that strength wont help with?

3. 'spend their hours lifting weights' 3-4 hours a week? they can do everything you listed as well as go to the gym. inb4 'oh but they cant read!!!!hahahahahh!!111111!!'

4. well people who go to the gym can do both. u mad?
    The rest of this has already been covered.

Of course there are positive reasons to go to the gym. But it is not necessary to live a fulfilling, healthy life.

Otherwise, it's just quite funny being told I am a "beta" male, have "insecurities" and am both fat and skinny by those who are so insecure that they have to spend hours picking up pieces of metal, putting them down and repeating the process before they can even pluck up the courage to talk to a woman.

And the central point has been lost; Gyms are very gay places.

ReputationRep:
    The rest of this has already been covered.

Of course there are positive reasons to go to the gym. But it is not necessary to live a fulfilling, healthy life.

Otherwise, it's just quite funny being told I am a "beta" male, have "insecurities" and am both fat and skinny by those who are so insecure that they have to spend hours picking up pieces of metal, putting them down and repeating the process before they can even pluck up the courage to talk to a woman.

And the central point has been lost; Gyms are very gay places.
    true, but it helps and for the sake of 3-4 hours a week? there are more postives than negatives.

i didnt mention any of that, i guess you just explained there why you are so negative towards gym-goers. hence 'gyms are very gay places'.

ok ok whatever makes you feel better.

OWNED

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think wanting to better yourself physically = insecurity?
    Does that mean that going to school or reading a book to better oneself intellectually = insecurity?

Name just one sport where being stronger wouldn't make you a better player?

Oh and btw I never said I thought strength training was the reason most people go to the gym, just that it was for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by int92)
    true, but it helps and for the sake of 3-4 hours a week? there are more postives than negatives.

i didnt mention any of that, i guess you just explained there why you are so negative towards gym-goers. hence 'gyms are very gay places'.

ok ok whatever makes you feel better.

OWNED
    Weak argument.

Clearly I was making reference to the thread as a whole. And we are not talking about people that go to the gym for 3-4 hours a week.

You can't just type OWNED and consider yourself to have achieved some kind of victory. We'd all like to be our own critics.

You have done nothing to dispel the increasingly convincing suggestion that there is a negative correlation between time spent at gym and intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Why do you think wanting to better yourself physically = insecurity?
    Does that mean that going to school or reading a book to better oneself intellectually = insecurity?

Name just one sport where being stronger wouldn't make you a better player?

Oh and btw I never said I thought strength training was the reason most people go to the gym, just that it was for me.
    Fine, I conceded that there were exceptions. However the overriding motivation for most people seems to be narcissism.

The difference is that I did not go to school, or I do not read a book because I lack confidence around women.

If the motivation is to improve ones aesthetic appeal (as it very much appears to be), this has to be underpinned by one of two things: Vanity, or insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    You have done nothing to dispel the increasingly convincing suggestion that there is a negative correlation between time spent at gym and intelligence.
    You may find this article and the linked studies interesting http://www.marksdailyapple.com/monda...mb-jocks-myth/

I still fail to see how wanting to increase self-confidence is a bad thing? If bodybuilding does it for them and makes them feel better about themselves then good for them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.